Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by richarddd
"Confirmation Number: Not Entered". That, plus only seeing 3 of my 4 segments, doesn't thrill me.

This is a AA Vacations reservation, btw.
Strange. And you used the 'Link a Booking' function, not the 'Add a Flight' function? If so, then I'm not sure what's going on. I just linked an upcoming AA award reservation with an IB segment, and it worked fine. I've never linked an AA Vacations reservation using Tripcase before...maybe that is having some sort of effect.

EDIT: Since your record is booked through AA Vacations, your IB segment probably has an AA flight number (and now reading back you did say it was a codeshare). I've seen this happen with Tripcase where the Confirmation Number will not be available for AA flights when using an AA PNR. If entering the PNR at ba.com or iberia.com doesn't work, then you might have to call in.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Jan 6, 2017 at 5:13 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Strange. And you used the 'Link a Booking' function, not the 'Add a Flight' function? If so, then I'm not sure what's going on. I just linked an upcoming AA award reservation with an IB segment, and it worked fine. I've never linked an AA Vacations reservation using Tripcase before...maybe that is having some sort of effect.
Yes, I used Link a Booking.

I suppose I'll have to call AA Vacations tonight or tomorrow. At least I have ticket numbers, which should (I hope) make any problem AA's problem. If nothing else, it would be nice to have seat assignments.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Is your trip soon? If not, you might wait a few days before calling as I imagine the phones may be crazy with the winter weather and the FLL situation.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:18 pm

EDIT: Since your record is booked through AA Vacations, your IB segment probably has an AA flight number (and now reading back you did say it was a codeshare). I've seen this happen with Tripcase where the Confirmation Number will not be available for AA flights when using an AA PNR. If entering the PNR at ba.com or iberia.com doesn't work, then you might have to call in.
All 4 segments are on IB. Calling seems the way to go, unless it magically updates overnight.
Originally Posted by wrp96
Is your trip soon? If not, you might wait a few days before calling as I imagine the phones may be crazy with the winter weather and the FLL situation.
I hadn't focused on that. Waiting for less craziness would seem advisable.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:08 pm

I have two newbie questions, help will be appreciated.

1. I am trying to book tickets to US - India using AA miles in July/Aug. I am very flexible with date, airlines and stopovers but the problem is when I search at aa.com, I get only BA flights where taxes is unrealistically high and it does not show any of the other partner airlines. I called and they can find me middle east airlines e.g. Qtar and some other ones. Is there is a way to at least search for partner airlines online?

2. I need to top up 1400 miles, any quick way to do that other than buying from AA?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by makunag

1. I am trying to book tickets to US - India using AA miles in July/Aug. I am very flexible with date, airlines and stopovers but the problem is when I search at aa.com, I get only BA flights where taxes is unrealistically high and it does not show any of the other partner airlines. I called and they can find me middle east airlines e.g. Qtar and some other ones. Is there is a way to at least search for partner airlines online?

2. I need to top up 1400 miles, any quick way to do that other than buying from AA?
1. You can sign up for an Executive Club account on BA.com and use BA's search engine, which will show partners like QR. Also keep in mind that you can now use CX through HKG to get to India from the US.

2. If you have SPG points, you can transfer them to AA. Otherwise, buying the miles would probably be quickest.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by richarddd
Twitter responded with a 5 character PNR that didn't work, perhaps because IB claims the PNRs are 6 characters.
They messed up, since PNRs are definitely 6 characters. Ask them to double-check.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by akcae
They messed up, since PNRs are definitely 6 characters. Ask them to double-check.
I did, quoting the IB page that says exactly that. They insisted IB PNRs are either 5 or 6 characters.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
If I get a ticket with my AAdvantage miles and in the passenger details page my ADV number is pre-filled, if I put in my AB number (for status privileges) will it impact the award?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They are different flights is why. Basically look at it like this. The AA flight is AAs. However they know it will be cancelled. Thus everyone who books it is automatically booked on the AS flight. Just like if this were the case during DoD IRROPS, AA then has to pay AS for the flight. Since AA has to pay AS for that flight it only wants to do so when it makes sense. This means in connection with actual AA flights. Codeshare were never designed to be used solely by their self.

Obviously the fare that is being applied is ridiculous. However it prevents people from booking the AA flight while AA doesn't derive the revenue.
Thanks for the clarification, flyerCO. I didn't realize that they did not get any revenue from the codeshare. It all makes perfect sense now!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: American
The main benefits you would get by staying platinum for another year are: access to MCE, 2 free checked bags, priority boarding, lounge access when traveling internationally, and ability to earn and use 500 mile upgrades. How much do you value each of these, and how often do you think you will actually fly in the coming year and actually use these benefits?

There are a number of threads that might be of interest if you want to learn more about the new system, including but not limited to:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ug-2016-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2017-a.html

Probably one of the most economical ways to meet the new EQD requirement is to book premium economy on partner airlines. For example, recently LAX-AKL in CX PE was ~$1938 -- which would net over 38,000 EQMs and over 5,000 EQDs (i.e., roughly 80% of the way to re-qualifying for PLT).
Thanks so much flying eph12!! Is there a location on the forum that explain all of the acronyms? For example in your reply I don know what MCE is, or CX PE. THANKS!

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 7, 2017 at 3:48 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:22 am

There's a glossary link at the bottom of forum pages.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I have a 5:30 pm ~950 mile flight tomorrow evening on Eagle. I've been upgraded but I don't see a meal selection option. Is that just because regional flights don't offer pre-selection? Or might there not be a meal? Is there a place to verify if dinner is served on my particular flight, or do all 900+ mile flights in the time window serve meals?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by makunag

flights.google.com will let you search for oneworld flights. If you have a lot of credit card spend the chase sapphire reserve card has been extremely good to me since October and you can move points around.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 5:02 pm

Fiancé and I were on a flight this morning CDG-PHL in Econ both on award tickets booked from our own accounts (so separate reservations). Based on my research, I called about a month ago and had our reservations linked and the agent said she did it.

When we were waiting to board, they announced a few times the flight was overbooked and then called up a bunch of people with new seats, including mine but not fiancés. We were originally sitting together (aisle and window) on one side of a 2-4-2 configuration but then they moved me to a window about 10 rows up. We pressed and she was able to do some rearranging to get us seats together but in the middle (4 across) section. Obviously we made it through the flight but it was pretty annoying to be in the middle section.

So question is...did I do anything wrong in getting the reservations linked? Did I miss something? Also how hard should I have pressed in getting our original seats back or 2 together on one of the sides? The agent specifically said the US government requested the change and since they thought we were both traveling alone based on our reservation, they changed us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.