Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by david55
I am new AA Gold. In the welcome envelope they sent me a sheet of " in recognition of your outstanding service......" certificates. I get that I am suppose to send them back when I want to recognize an AA employee..... but why the certificate? Why the program? Do I as a Gold get any benefit of physically sending this certificate back or just the good will of doing so?
They’re an incentive and recognition of good service by employees. You merely give one to an employee who has provided you with noteworthy service; there’s no need to send anything in, and no benefit for passengers.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rts-chits.html
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd
We were flying two relatives on points today on an itinerary that started with a flight that was cancelled: AA 1300 MSY-DFW.

I see on FlightAware that the previous DFW-MSY leg was also cancelled. AA told our relatives it was "weather."

We finally got them rebooked to their original destination with a two-day delay after they initially talked to an agent who had decided that DEN was close enough to their final destination of DRO.

I couldn't find any weather issues at either airport and wonder if I missed something, or if the plane's previous flight was cancelled for weather reasons, maybe in the Northeast.

Is there a way to find out the previous flight of the plane in question? Is there a way to find out definitively why the flight was cancelled?
Today?Dozens of flights canceled at New Orleans airport amid wintry weather

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 9, 2017 at 12:03 am Reason: Reduced font size
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Fredd
We were flying two relatives on points today on an itinerary that started with a flight that was cancelled: AA 1300 MSY-DFW.

I see on FlightAware that the previous DFW-MSY leg was also cancelled. AA told our relatives it was "weather."

We finally got them rebooked to their original destination with a two-day delay after they initially talked to an agent who had decided that DEN was close enough to their final destination of DRO.

I couldn't find any weather issues at either airport and wonder if I missed something, or if the plane's previous flight was cancelled for weather reasons, maybe in the Northeast.

Is there a way to find out the previous flight of the plane in question? Is there a way to find out definitively why the flight was cancelled?
ExpertFlyer notes that the inbound DFW-MSY was cancelled due to weather at the destination (MSY). Could be rain, or wind or whatever. Could be based on a forecast as much as actual weather occurring.
Fredd likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Yes. Thanks for that link. ^ I suppose I can infer the incoming flight stayed put at DFW.

Last edited by JY1024; Dec 9, 2017 at 12:03 am Reason: Update to quoted post
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:00 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but some advice / opinions please?
Several months ago we booked flights on AA57 LHR MIA and we were the first passengers to select our seats in the business class cabin.

We selected seats 6D & 6G – two seats together in the forward (our preference) section of business class. The seating configuration for this cabin is shown as A / D G / J.
Some weeks ago, we found out, purely by chance, that the aircraft designation had been changed to a B772 from the B773. I accept that change is out of anybody’s control and that there will be specific arguments for it. All of this I am prepared to accept – with a degree of disappointment as it was the B773 that was our prime consideration and had the 773 not been available then we would probably have flown BA to avoid the transfer fiasco at LHR.

Do AA tell people that their travel arrangements and / or aircraft designations have changed?

When changed the aircraft seat assignments were transferred across to the amended booking, however, the AA seat map for the 772 shows A / D H / L so 6D & 6G do not exist and in fact row 6 does not exist! There is one seat only – 6L!

What would have happened had I not found this out? Would we arrive at check-in to be told that despite being the first people to book a business class ticket on this flight we were no longer sitting together? To me that smacks of incompetence!

I have now changed the seats to 2H & 2H – but if the aircraft changes back to a B773 we could well find our self in difficulties as this would be in the first class, so again we risk not sitting together. At the time these were the only two seats in the forward business class section that were available.

As it stands, flight-wise, we are now keeping fingers crossed and hoping nothing else gets changed.

Is this type of change unusual and should I be keeping a close eye on my booking��

Thanks

Mike
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
You should keep an eye on the flight, although AA might have eventually told you. I believe that you can automate the process if you subscribe to Expert Flyer. On an international flight AA will let you make a change free of charge if the equipment changes and this might extend to switching to BA.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:06 pm

Thanks for that. I found out about the change using an ipad app ‘MyFlight’ which has access to Amadeus, but that is being discontinued later this month. I have a connecing flight at MIA so even a change in flight is out of the question.
I guess I’ll just have to keep an eye on it and make my displeasure be known to AA.
Mike
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Advantage
I feel a little foolish not being able to find this myself, so apologies. . . .

I'm looking to get my EQD for the year (I'm good on EQM) - does AAdvantage vacation purchases count towards my EQD requirement?

If I'm $3K short on EQD's for the year, can I spend $3K on a vacation package that is completed before the 31st and make my requirement?

What if I pay for a vacation for two? Does only my half count towards EQD's?

Thank you for any help!
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by separatepeace
I feel a little foolish not being able to find this myself, so apologies. . . .

I'm looking to get my EQD for the year (I'm good on EQM) - does AAdvantage vacation purchases count towards my EQD requirement?

If I'm $3K short on EQD's for the year, can I spend $3K on a vacation package that is completed before the 31st and make my requirement?

What if I pay for a vacation for two? Does only my half count towards EQD's?

Thank you for any help!
You will earn EQDs for your flight portion of the package. Generally, in my experience, flights booked as an AAVacation package post as a special fare (so a % of the distance flown). But some have reported that EQDs have posted based on the fare. The general rule of thumb is that flights marked with an (*) indicate special fare--but I am not sure how completely accurate that is, based on my experience.

You may find this thread helpful:
AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Last edited by flyingeph12; Dec 9, 2017 at 3:06 pm Reason: Added link to thread
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:47 pm

Applying for Global Entry when you have dozens of employers since 2012

I'm hoping to get Global Entry for our family of four. Just did the application for myself and realized we need to provide employment info since 2012. My husband works in the film industry and has a regular show that he's worked on for the past several years which lasts about 7 months but then will fill the rest of the year with random other jobs. He sometimes ends up with over a dozen W2s at the end of the year. Does he really need to enter every single one going back 5 years? What would you advise? TIA
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by voyageuseheureuse
I'm hoping to get Global Entry for our family of four. Just did the application for myself and realized we need to provide employment info since 2012. My husband works in the film industry and has a regular show that he's worked on for the past several years which lasts about 7 months but then will fill the rest of the year with random other jobs. He sometimes ends up with over a dozen W2s at the end of the year. Does he really need to enter every single one going back 5 years? What would you advise? TIA
This isn’t necessarily the forum for this question, but I was in a similar position. I declared self-employed, because I wasn’t genuinely employed by my employers-clients for periods from hours to months. Your husband might check with his accountant and be able to verify indie or self-employment status. The last thing he wants do do is submit what they’ll see as a falsehood, so check and make it verifiable.

Ind you, iirc I had to list dozens of countries I’d visited in that period (more than that ever visited, natch).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by voyageuseheureuse
Welcome to Flyertalk!

For questions about GE, you might want to seek counsel in this forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Ind you, iirc I had to list dozens of countries I’d visited in that period (more than that ever visited, natch).
OT but when I applied for US citizenship I had to list every trip out of the country since I immigrated 27 years previously!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
CX MR trip to MLE

Hi all,
thanks for all the great things you do for us newbies. I wish I found you 18 years ago when I started this. I'm like a 40-year-old MLB rookie. Sorry if this question is in the wrong place but I've looked around, maybe unsuccessfully, and wasn't able to easily determine the right place. I welcome any direction.
Anyhow, I'm EP and have been for a bit. I decided I wanted it again. So, I booked an MR for the wife and me to MLE.
Here's the itin: JFK-YVR-HKG-MLE-HKG-EWR in I, R, I, I, and R, all on CX with CX flight numbers.
GCMap says it's 22,859 miles - Great Circle Mapper.
Wheretocredit is showing 25,601 - https://goo.gl/diBLB3.

My calculations show 34,293 EQMs and $4,992 EQDs.
If I've read aa.com correctly, EQMs for R and I are 1.5x mileage and EQDs are 20% for R and 25% for I.
I'm absolutely confident that wheretocredit knows more than I do. Can anyone help me understand the gap?
Sorry for the simple question but I've been scratching my head on this. I'm also confident that I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by MADPhil
OT but when I applied for US citizenship I had to list every trip out of the country since I immigrated 27 years previously!
Ouch. Glad I didn’t have to go that far back.

Originally Posted by Whodunit68
Hi all,
thanks for all the great things you do for us newbies. I wish I found you 18 years ago when I started this. I'm like a 40-year-old MLB rookie. Sorry if this question is in the wrong place but I've looked around, maybe unsuccessfully, and wasn't able to easily determine the right place. I welcome any direction.
Anyhow, I'm EP and have been for a bit. I decided I wanted it again. So, I booked an MR for the wife and me to MLE.
Here's the itin: JFK-YVR-HKG-MLE-HKG-EWR in I, R, I, I, and R, all on CX with CX flight numbers.
GCMap says it's 22,859 miles - Great Circle Mapper.
Wheretocredit is showing 25,601 - https://goo.gl/diBLB3.

My calculations show 34,293 EQMs and $4,992 EQDs.
If I've read aa.com correctly, EQMs for R and I are 1.5x mileage and EQDs are 20% for R and 25% for I.
I'm absolutely confident that wheretocredit knows more than I do. Can anyone help me understand the gap?
Sorry for the simple question but I've been scratching my head on this. I'm also confident that I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance.

GCM is very accurate, therefore you’ll get ~22,859 trip miles for 34,288 EQM. If your math is correct, $4,992 EQD. If the CX marketed flights are all operated by a oneworld airline or affiliate.

The best place for these questions is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rs-2017-a.html.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.