Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:31 am

Helping a friend (based outside USA) who is at about 2850 EQD and 29000 EQM year to date with no further travel planned. are there any data points on AAdvantage members hitting Gold without meeting the EQD requirement? Thanks
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Helping a friend (based outside USA) who is at about 2850 EQD and 29000 EQM year to date with no further travel planned. are there any data points on AAdvantage members hitting Gold without meeting the EQD requirement? Thanks
No data points because this is the first year of EQD requirements.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
It's possible they could make an offer toward or after the EOY to buy up. But as controller1 says there's no precedent as this is year 1 for EQD.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: NZ*G, AA CK
787-900 Business seat selection

Any preference based on experience for the best rows on the 787-900 in Business? I'm flying on the LAX-AKL sector next month (usually travel NZ where the last row, 7, is my preferred as you don't have anyone behind you and is sightly more private. I'm looking at row 8 on the AA 787-9, any tips?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
1) Since it's one PNR AA might be able to issue your Jet BP at check-in in PHL, but this can vary since 9W isn't oneworld. If they can't, then you'll need to check-in again with 9W at CDG. They should have a transfer desk typically just before or after transfer security at whatever terminal 9W uses at CDG.

2) On the outbound, your J class flight CDG-BOM will get you in to whatever contract lounge 9W uses at CDG. Since your onward flight on 9W isn't oneworld, you will not have access to the CX lounge by virtue of your PLT status. On the return though, you can access either the AC or CX lounge, they're right next to each other.

3) Not sure, I haven't departed ex-CDG in years. Others will have to chime in.

4) If you're looking for sAAver business award seats, then you need U inventory, not C. November isn't a busy month for Europe travel, if you're traveling on an off day and the cabin is wide open then it's possible AA could dump some U inventory closer to the flight date. However if the J cabin is already pretty full and you're traveling on a Thurs-Sun, then 4 U seats on the same flight isn't likely.

AA.com will show you this space (or set up an ExpertFlyer alert), there's really no need to call back regularly.
Thanks and sorry for the late reply.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'm looking at YVR-NRT, and there's lots of availability on jal.com, but nothing on aa.com. Can you search JL awards on aa.com? Or is this a case of JL not releasing inventory to AAdvantage?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm looking at YVR-NRT, and there's lots of availability on jal.com, but nothing on aa.com. Can you search JL awards on aa.com? Or is this a case of JL not releasing inventory to AAdvantage?
You can't book JL awards at aa.com, you have to call AA.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Thanks for the quick response!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The Wikipost at the top of the page at HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance will give you a lot of useful information.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: Amex, AA, BA, Delta, True Blue, Hyatt, Fairmont, Marriott, HH, IHG
Trying to call for a info on a flight to Barbados. Tried on line but it seems dividend miles number no longer works. 22 minute hold to talk to a real person. Is this the new American Airlines? Do I need to use a travel agent to do anything now? We each have 250,000 miles saved up. Where best to use them please. I'm not really a newbie, more of an infrequent flyer, but it seems like a different world and not for the better.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:34 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bigjimbo99
Trying to call for a info on a flight to Barbados. Tried on line but it seems dividend miles number no longer works. 22 minute hold to talk to a real person. Is this the new American Airlines? Do I need to use a travel agent to do anything now? We each have 250,000 miles saved up. Where best to use them please. I'm not really a newbie, more of an infrequent flyer, but it seems like a different world and not for the better.
Are you looking to use partners or have a complicated itinerary in mind? If you'd just wanting to check AA award availability, try AA.com first. The model for the past few decades as been to push customers to self-service on the AA.com website and charge higher ticketing fees for working with someone on the phone. (Note that award ticketing fees don't apply if it's an itinerary or partner that you can't access yourself online.)

Hold times have been decreasing over the last month, but as you can imagine, the hurricanes impacting the US/Caribbean/(and even Europe) and typhoons in Asia have disrupted a lot of travel plans.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You can't book JL awards at aa.com, you have to call AA.
You can sign up for a FF account on BA and use their search engine to look up award flight availability. If you find flights you want, then you need to call AA to make the reservation.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat; MR LT Titanium; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gpmHSV
Is is possible to book a multi-city itinerary in different cabins using aa.com?
In particular, I'd like to book BNA-LHR in J, then return DUB-BNA in Y. This would be a paid ticket, not an award. I can't find a way to do that on the web page (besides two one ways, which is ridiculously expensive). Am I going to have to resort to calling AA and having an agent book it (along with the associated fees)?

Thanks!
Originally Posted by swag
Last time I tried this about 2 years ago, not only couldn't it be done online, but calling didn't help either. Even the phone agents couldn't get the mixed cabin open-jaw to price as anything other than 2 one-ways.

That said, it's certainly worth a call to try, pricing may be specific based on the routes. If the agent can book it, you can request the fee be waived under the not-bookable-online policy.
Well, to follow up on my original question, I was able to book the multi-city, multi-cabin itinerary over the phone without any problem, once I found an agent who knew what she was doing (the first one said it would have to be two one-ways!). So now I'm booked to LHR in J, and returning from DUB in Y.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Credit Card
Hello! I am a newbie with it comes to flying. I have been a member here for years, but rarely visited.

I am doing an AA Platinum Challenge and am 1 leg from completing it in just under a month.

Now I just have to figure out this new language that you all speak. Its all airoplane to me.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EP
U tried a Dividend Miles number? From what, 4 years ago? And are upset at AA? Definitely check out the correct numbers on AA.com under contact us at the bottom. You will also see the correct phone numbers in the Advantage pages.

Maybe it would be best if you moved your business to another airline as I don't believe that AA is going to be able to meet your requirements.

Originally Posted by bigjimbo99

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.