Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the 2017 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"
Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.

Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:

Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)
NOTE: The older AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!
Print Wikipost

[2017 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:29 am

which airline combination to transfer through MIA?

Hi folks,

I'm new in this forum and need your help, please ...

I have to fly from Europe to STT (St. Thomas, USVI) in November 2017 > as I am an European citizen with ESTA - and found two possible options:
option 1) with SWISS (LX) to MIA + with AA from MIA to STT (all booked together as one trip on Swiss-homepage) - transfer time (Tuesday around 15:00) in MIA 3:20, return trip to Europe (same way - Sunday around 18:00) has 2:40 transfer time.
option 2) with BA via LHR to MIA + with AA from MIA to STT (all booked together as one trip directly on BA-homepage) - transfer time in MIA 3:45, return trip (same way) 2:40 transfer time.

As I read, the BA-AA connections often have problems regarding online check-in, issuing boarding passes for (onward BA-) flights, ...
For my flight back home to Europe this could be a real problem for both flights if I don't get my BA/LX-boarding pass in STT, have to do all the immigration/CBP, get to the transfer desk (where is that for BA??) or leave the secured area in MIA (go out to check in) just to get the BA-boarding pass that AA couldn't print in STT (because it would be a BA-issued ticket). For Swiss the problem is even worse, as LX has all of its counters in Terminal J -> how do I get along without my boarding pass for the LX-Flight?? or are there any transfer desks for SWISS (or Star Alliance) in D in order to get my bp before heading to terminal J?

So please, could any of you guys help me with the decision which connection is best to take?
Is it better to take the risk that BA/AA aren't coworking the way they should (and that I have to use the BA transfer desk (where is it?) after I waited for immigration/CBP on a Sunday evening in order to get my boarding pass) or is it better to go with SWISS and the trip to terminal J (can I follow the "connecting flights" signs after CBP? does CBP even allow me through without a boarding pass)?

thx!!!!

Last edited by seattle98; Aug 7, 2017 at 5:50 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Newbie operational question:

Last night, I flew the evening DFW-MCO flight, 7PM departure on an A321.

At 6:30, as we began boarding, the GA announced that a storm was approaching and that if we could board quickly, we could get out ahead of it. I couldn't tell if people hurried or not, but we pushed back right on time.

We taxied out, went directly past about a dozen AA planes waiting in a queue to take off, went straight out onto the runway, and took off. The storm appeared *close*, although that may have been an illusion. I was worried that we'd get caught in a ground stop...before we got sent straight to the front of the queue.

We landed at MCO about five minutes early.

My question is: why did we pass that queue of a dozen airplanes? The queue was all AA, types ranging from E170 to 767 with quite a few 737s. I don't *think* AA has midnight departures out of MCO, so I don't think they particularly needed that A321 there right on time.

While I'll happily take the good karma whenever it comes my way, I'm just curious as to why this flight, on this night, when so many others were obviously going to be waiting quite a while to take off with a storm approaching?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 11:48 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Speculation: there storm activity was reduced or absent in that (southeast) direction. The other planes in the queue were headed in other directions.
Originally Posted by pinniped
Newbie operational question:

Last night, I flew the evening DFW-MCO flight, 7PM departure on an A321.

At 6:30, as we began boarding, the GA announced that a storm was approaching and that if we could board quickly, we could get out ahead of it. I couldn't tell if people hurried or not, but we pushed back right on time.

We taxied out, went directly past about a dozen AA planes waiting in a queue to take off, went straight out onto the runway, and took off. The storm appeared *close*, although that may have been an illusion. I was worried that we'd get caught in a ground stop...before we got sent straight to the front of the queue.

We landed at MCO about five minutes early.

My question is: why did we pass that queue of a dozen airplanes? The queue was all AA, types ranging from E170 to 767 with quite a few 737s. I don't *think* AA has midnight departures out of MCO, so I don't think they particularly needed that A321 there right on time.

While I'll happily take the good karma whenever it comes my way, I'm just curious as to why this flight, on this night, when so many others were obviously going to be waiting quite a while to take off with a storm approaching?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Definitely not a newbie (17 years on FT!) but a very new scenario for me:

As a BA Silver (e.g. OW Sapphire), what is different than being AA Plat when flying domestic AA metal? My key questions are:

- Being able to book MCE for free at ticketing including exit rows?
- Being able to use the AA app/website and not have it get confused and put your AA status (for me it'll be LT Gold) in the record instead?
- Do you land on the upgrade list for sub-500 mile flights?

The AA web site, not surprisingly, doesn't really talk about what other airlines OWS get, just what AA OWS get on other airlines.

I'm looking at BA Silver as a simplified way of getting MCE at ticketing without having to do $6k in spend, especially since I will have 4 IB segments and do buy up to F a fair amount when flying AA on shorter last-minute connecting flights. So that's 7 two-segment YUPs for 560, plus 4 BA segments for 20, plus 4 other AA segments for the last 20 to get to 600.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Wondering if you AA flyers can offer some help.

We're flying LHR-ORD-TPA / TPA-MIA-LHR. The transatlantic legs are in BA Club World, domestics are AA economy, all booked on a single ticket via BA.

Will we have access to the AA lounges in ORD & TPA before our domestic legs by virtue of our subsequent long haul J boarding passes?

(Our BA Silver status will have been downgraded to Bronze by the time of our trip).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:56 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Lounge access based on status is allowed for OneWorld Sapphire (BA Silver) but not OneWorld Ruby (BA Bronze). So, if you were BA Silver then you'd get OneWorld lounge access throughout the journey. Alas, lounge access is not offered to OneWorld Ruby / BA Bronze.

Corrected to add: Lounge access is offered, based on the same-day long-haul business class flight on BA.

Compare the tiers
Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc

We're flying LHR-ORD-TPA / TPA-MIA-LHR. The transatlantic legs are in BA Club World, domestics are AA economy, all booked on a single ticket via BA.

Will we have access to the AA lounges in ORD & TPA before our domestic legs by virtue of our subsequent long haul J boarding passes?

(Our BA Silver status will have been downgraded to Bronze by the time of our trip).

Last edited by CloudCoder; Aug 8, 2017 at 4:57 am Reason: Correction
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Lounge access based on status is allowed for OneWorld Sapphire (BA Silver) but not OneWorld Ruby (BA Bronze). So, if you were BA Silver then you'd get OneWorld lounge access throughout the journey. Alas, lounge access is not offered to OneWorld Ruby / BA Bronze.

Compare the tiers
This is technically correct but irrelevant in this case. Lounge access will be no problem at ORD and TPA based on the same day long haul J flights on BA.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 4:56 am

Thanks for clarification. I did not realize that "Club World" was business class. Yes, with same-day long-haul business class, they'll get lounge access throughout the journey.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This is technically correct but irrelevant in this case. Lounge access will be no problem at ORD and TPA based on the same day long haul J flights on BA.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
Thanks for the responses

Is there a 'better' lounge in ORD T3?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Thanks for the responses

Is there a 'better' lounge in ORD T3?
When the new Flagship lounge opens then CW should give you access. Until then it is ACs only.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 9:49 am

What fare codes need to be available for SWUs to instantly clear? And is there a good way to determine if your SWU will clear before booking?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 10:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TravelingFitzMe
What fare codes need to be available for SWUs to instantly clear? And is there a good way to determine if your SWU will clear before booking?
For the best information, please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html, particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page.

Good luck with your SWU.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Definitely not a newbie (17 years on FT!) but a very new scenario for me:

As a BA Silver (e.g. OW Sapphire), what is different than being AA Plat when flying domestic AA metal? My key questions are:

- Being able to book MCE for free at ticketing including exit rows?
- Being able to use the AA app/website and not have it get confused and put your AA status (for me it'll be LT Gold) in the record instead?
- Do you land on the upgrade list for sub-500 mile flights?

The AA web site, not surprisingly, doesn't really talk about what other airlines OWS get, just what AA OWS get on other airlines.

I'm looking at BA Silver as a simplified way of getting MCE at ticketing without having to do $6k in spend, especially since I will have 4 IB segments and do buy up to F a fair amount when flying AA on shorter last-minute connecting flights. So that's 7 two-segment YUPs for 560, plus 4 BA segments for 20, plus 4 other AA segments for the last 20 to get to 600.
The AA website will likely put in your AA FF#, but you should be able to change that. The answer to the first is "yes"; not sure about the third.

Also, the difference of BA Silver over AA Plat is that the former gets lounge access.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:38 am

AA mechanical issue and canceled flight

I was on flight which had mechanical issues and after few hours AA decided to cancel that flight. Next flight was 6 hours later. AA didn't offer anything so should I ask AA? How do I start?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by jasmians
I was on flight which had mechanical issues and after few hours AA decided to cancel that flight. Next flight was 6 hours later. AA didn't offer anything so should I ask AA? How do I start?
In many cases, they send an apology email, and deposit 5000 miles, to everyone who was on the flight.

You can use "Contact AA Customer Relations" on the AA.com website, to say how disappointed and inconvenienced you were. They might throw some miles your way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.