Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing

NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

U]Link[/U] to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Updated 22 May 2017 by JDiver
[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

2017 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by matt85
I'm waiting on my SWU clearing for a ORD-CDG flight mid-week. It's still a few J seats left. Given that I've requested the upgrade more than 2 weeks ago, is it likely that it clears (if it clears at all) only at the gate?
The upgrade for the return flight (CDG-PHL) has cleared more than a week ago already.
And my upgrade cleared, about 8 hours before departure excluding delay. ^
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Cross-posted from the EQM thread:
My 2015 and earlier e500 EXP upgrade clear rate was 90% + Back in the recession days, it was often greater than 95%.

2016 the e500 EXP upgrade clear rate dropped to 85%.

Current year 2017 has dropped again to 81%.

I also have started "managing" my upgrades more closely. For example, setting ExpertFlyer alerts, calling in for an alternate instrument upgrade when only one seat becomes available, avoiding the A319, etc.

Here are the related spend data:

AA YTD EQM per website: 15,443
Current YTD Total AA spend (per spreadsheet) 17,481

Year-end Total AA spend (per spreadsheet) 20,509

Year-end Total AA spend (per spreadsheet) 14,014
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
That shows only 7 available seats this morning and J0, as does the earlier flight, and the later flight is J0 and 1 available seat. And the BA seats don't look a lot better.

That makes it look like your chances are slim. As for why it has happened ... it could be that they are considering an equipment change; there could be crew in London who need to be flown back to Chicago; or it could be that lots of those J seats have gone to flexible ticket holders and AA know that they often try to change flights at the last minute. It doesn't look like a situation where Y is oversold.

LHR ORD last January is the only SWU in 8 years that I have missed and despite having been on the waitlist from 6 weeks before the flight (when request time still mattered) with only 2-3 other folks in MCE, I still ended up at number 9 on the upgrade list!
Thats what I don't really follow. There were double the seats showing yesterday but only 1 ticket available to buy...so how is it down to 7 now? What is J0? J seats to flex ticket holders?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by eddilev
What is J0? J seats to flex ticket holders?
J0 means that they are willing to sell zero seats in J, the highest fare bucket for business class - i.e. Business class is completely sold out.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:17 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Thats what I don't really follow. There were double the seats showing yesterday but only 1 ticket available to buy...so how is it down to 7 now? What is J0? J seats to flex ticket holders?
This is common when Y is overbooked.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP, Hilton Diamond
J0 means that they are willing to sell zero seats in J, the highest fare bucket for business class - i.e. Business class is completely sold out.
Ok so here is what I totally don't get now. Just checked this morning. I cleared and now the flight also shows 11 seats open in business....
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:36 am

Ok so here is what I totally don't get now. Just checked this morning. I cleared and now the flight also shows 11 seats open in business....
That would suggest that they were anticipating an equipment change or a cancellation (maybe a BA 789 that needs urgent engine maintenance) and so they zero'd out the fare classes to stop people buying tickets until the changes were sorted out.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
On LAX-HKG on Tue Jan 9th with 29 unassigned seats in J, EF reads J7. Put in my SWU request at booking on Dec 7th...any data points on this flight recently?

Return cleared at booking for 2 pax
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Hengilas
On LAX-HKG on Tue Jan 9th with 29 unassigned seats in J, EF reads J7. Put in my SWU request at booking on Dec 7th...any data points on this flight recently?

FWIW: Flew on LAX-HKG midweek in November (on Wed). The upgrade cleared like a week before the flight and it seemed they were few upgrades even at the gate. Generally, J was wide open for sale until the day before the flight (that I checked).
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

When is Chinese New years?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:08 pm

Feb 16
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:54 am

J7 is not the most useful information as that is the most it will show. But that flight is also I7 which tells you that they are still working hard to sell seats on that flight.

It now looks like 27 unassigned seats, but until the last few days that number can generally only go down. I would guess your chances are fair, but not near guaranteed.

Also if you are looking for two upgrades then that might work against you.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
J7 is not the most useful information as that is the most it will show. But that flight is also I7 which tells you that they are still working hard to sell seats on that flight.

It now looks like 27 unassigned seats, but until the last few days that number can generally only go down. I would guess your chances are fair, but not near guaranteed...

And with that being said regarding I7 may be a better indicator for upgrading space.

I have a friend that's on 192 (HKG-LAX) December 16th. He's EXP and is currently waitlisted with a SWU applied as the upgrading tool.

Thanks...
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
And with that being said regarding I7 may be a better indicator for upgrading space.

I have a friend that's on 192 (HKG-LAX) December 16th. He's EXP and is currently waitlisted with a SWU applied as the upgrading tool.

Thanks...
When did he book? Peculiar. We booked Dec 9th and cleared SWUs at booking on this flight.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Honors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by travellerK
I am considering scheduling a trip to Europe in January to use up my SWUs. It there a time period/location where they tend to be wide open that time of year?
If I search now, it won't help me, because I can't purchase until the meetings are confirmed.
I found JFK-MAD 1/21/18-1/25/18 for $492.60 RT with SWU available both ways. From MAD IB has incredibly inexpensive flights all around Spain and Europe (unfortunately with knee crunching seat pitch) so I purchased these tickets even with a schedule not 100% finalized and I will work it out. At that price, its almost worth doing just as a mileage rune

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.