Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
So, not having the "*" by the fare means revenue based earning. Disappointing!!
It has been like that since they started showing *(asterisk) in the result.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
I am not disappointed in the system. Just disappointed that the package I want does not have special fare.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by bdsklar
there are easier ways to get the spend and EQM than AA vacations, for example booking on BA/IB/QR for a flight, all depends on how much you want to spend. For you can fly 8000 - 10,000 miles r/t on a partner airline in PE/J to earn 2000 EQD and 12000-15,000 eqm. In my opinion, the sweet spot for special fares is premium economy since it starts with 1.5 EQM multiplier and 20% EQD. YOu get that same benefit booking PE with IB/BA.
good idea. Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Has anyone had issues booking on AAV recently? Trying to book flight and hotel package to Madrid and have gotten the following every time:

"We are unable to complete your booking. Please call our customer service for assistance at 1-800-489-4810 and provide the booking number located under your itinerary."

I called at one point and they said they prob just cannot confirm the room but I have tried with like 6 hotels and gotten the same thing. Have to think its an IT/system issue - curious if anyone else is seeing the same
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Has anyone had issues booking on AAV recently? Trying to book flight and hotel package to Madrid and have gotten the following every time:

"We are unable to complete your booking. Please call our customer service for assistance at 1-800-489-4810 and provide the booking number located under your itinerary."

I called at one point and they said they prob just cannot confirm the room but I have tried with like 6 hotels and gotten the same thing. Have to think its an IT/system issue - curious if anyone else is seeing the same
I have received that error, and I believe the issue in my case was that the fare class wasn't actually available. It was a W fare to/from HKG that seemed almost too good to be true—and it turned out it was. I called AAV customer service and had the agent try to manually construct the itinerary, and she came back and said it was only available in P, not W.

I have also run into the issue where a hotel room wasn't actually available at the quoted price, but that doesn't sound like it's your issue here.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent

I have had this happen when trying to book a package with PE flights for clients as well. Many of the PE fares (both published and bulk) are now dual booking class fares, requiring P/W and an economy booking class to be availabile to confirm seats. I suspect that the AA Vacations booking engine struggles with this still to some degree, resulting in phantom availability in search results sometimes.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by bdsklar
there are easier ways to get the spend and EQM than AA vacations, for example booking on BA/IB/QR for a flight, all depends on how much you want to spend. For you can fly 8000 - 10,000 miles r/t on a partner airline in PE/J to earn 2000 EQD and 12000-15,000 eqm. In my opinion, the sweet spot for special fares is premium economy since it starts with 1.5 EQM multiplier and 20% EQD. YOu get that same benefit booking PE with IB/BA.
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
good idea. Thanks.

Don’t forget to also check the BA Holiday site (similar to AAV) if going this route. They also only require a 3-night hotel to make the deal, so you can really come out ahead on the game crediting to AA. Just watch your fare codes and have the BA chart accessible when looking at flights. I’ve done this several times and it’s worked very well. And no, you are restricted to BA metal, either.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I have had this happen when trying to book a package with PE flights for clients as well. Many of the PE fares (both published and bulk) are now dual booking class fares, requiring P/W and an economy booking class to be availabile to confirm seats. I suspect that the AA Vacations booking engine struggles with this still to some degree, resulting in phantom availability in search results sometimes.
Interesting- that certainly could be the culprit since it is what I am trying to do. Though I was able to make this work on a trip earlier this year with no hiccup.

Have you been able to call and get them to force through?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:10 am

Have you been able to call and get them to force through?
AA Vacations help desk does not seem to get the issue. I don't think they have full access to air inventory booking class info (i.e., they are not seeing a Sabre availability display). Usually, the price gets worse. Unless you are in love with the hotel deal you're getting, you are better off with a consolidator fare in most instances if you need Special Fare EQD treatment.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
AA Vacations help desk does not seem to get the issue. I don't think they have full access to air inventory booking class info (i.e., they are not seeing a Sabre availability display). Usually, the price gets worse. Unless you are in love with the hotel deal you're getting, you are better off with a consolidator fare in most instances if you need Special Fare EQD treatment.
Thanks again for the help here. I do need the Special Fare EQD treatment - problem is I plan to apply an SWU right away and AA Vacations is the only booking engine I know of that I can retroactively go back to distance based when the booking code changes to C.

Do you have any other idea of where I could get this done outside of AA Vacations? About to give up and just book via AA.com but figure I would give it one more shot
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:03 pm

AA Vacations is the only booking engine I know of that I can retroactively go back to distance based when the booking code changes to C.
I don't know how this works in the AA Vacations booking engine (or whether it actually has anything to do with the booking engine).

Clients I have booked on consolidator fares have had to call AA customer service for an adjustment when SWUs were used and EQDs did not properly credit.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:31 am

I recently accepted a bump to a later flights. The new flights were in Y booking class. One of the two legs showed up on my account activity as special fare earning 20% of the distance. Is this normal or will take back the RDM and the EQD?

The other leg is MIA. I will have to request credit for that leg.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I booked a special fare class N on expedia and just applied SWU to the flights. The tickets are LAX-HKG so obviously I want this to code as a special fare distance based but the tickets were “exchanged” and now show a fare class of C. Am I going to still get distance based? Based on AA’s response they say they are unable to calculate estimated earning right now.

How can I ensure I get the special fare distance based?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by allaroundtheworld21
I booked a special fare class N on expedia and just applied SWU to the flights. The tickets are LAX-HKG so obviously I want this to code as a special fare distance based but the tickets were “exchanged” and now show a fare class of C. Am I going to still get distance based? Based on AA’s response they say they are unable to calculate estimated earning right now.

How do you know that it's necessarily Special Fare (I don't buy from Expedia much, but I don't believe that they are Special Fare by default)? Was this part of a package?

If you have documentation that shows Special Fare, you will have something to call them with in case it doesn't post correctly. That's what I like to have as my back-up.

Cheers.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by allaroundtheworld21

If there was an * on your fare when you originally booked, you can call in after it posts if it isn't posted as a special fare and ask for an adjustment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.