Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
I highly doubt it will post as special fare given what you’ve described.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by MaxVO
The agent stated that the PNR in question already has the EQD number attached to it.
No special knowledge about AA's mileage tracking software, but I question whether res agents see a specific reference to definitive EQD credit amounts prior to travel. Maybe agent was just quoting the base fare (i.e., pre-tax amount) as a proxy?

Originally Posted by lightbulbs
I highly doubt it will post as special fare given what you’ve described.
Agreed.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75k, AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by nwngeek212
Still no bulk fares on Citi. It's likely that AA stopped distributing bulk fares to credit card points providers as many folk probably used it to fast track their way to EXP (including myself).
I've had a couple of domestic flights so far this year booked with TYP, and they are still posting as special fares. Unfortunately, both were O fares, and so the 5% EQDs really hurts - a $128.30 ORD fare which used to earn 185 EQDs now earns 93 EQDs. If booked as a normal fare, it'd earn 106 EQDs.

With a ton of TYPs to spend before the 25% bonus goes away in December, I'll continue to book flights on AA with them but will avoid booking O and Q fares with them.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer
I've had a couple of domestic flights so far this year booked with TYP, and they are still posting as special fares. Unfortunately, both were O fares, and so the 5% EQDs really hurts - a $128.30 ORD fare which used to earn 185 EQDs now earns 93 EQDs. If booked as a normal fare, it'd earn 106 EQDs.

With a ton of TYPs to spend before the 25% bonus goes away in December, I'll continue to book flights on AA with them but will avoid booking O and Q fares with them.
Thanks for the info. Are you finding "wholesale" in the fare rules? Or at least seeing "please contact travel agent for pricing" in the AA record page?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
Ask them to email you the itinerary while you're talking to them. Only provide your credit card if you see the * on all the flights listed.
Unfortunately they don't seem to be able to do this, at least for open-jaw itineraries. You have to book and hope that what they told you about "bulk" is correct.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by ORD-DCA Flyer

Has anyone successfully had AA change the way they credit these to fare method? I have the same issue and EQD on I fares on short segments are terrible.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:53 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bworrell
Unfortunately they don't seem to be able to do this, at least for open-jaw itineraries. You have to book and hope that what they told you about "bulk" is correct.
Most of the agents I've spoken with recently now seem to understand the EQD and Special Fare thing. I've been able to have them put a notation in the record (after purchase) stating that this is a Special Fare and should post accordingly. This way, in case of a mishap, I'd have documentation.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Does using a SWU on a consolidator fare (non AA vacations) cause the fare to lose mileage-based EQD and post as fare based during reticketing?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:12 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Does using a SWU on a consolidator fare (non AA vacations) cause the fare to lose mileage-based EQD and post as fare based during reticketing?
Nope. Done this more than a few times. Posts as distance-based (on original fare class with the very occasional mistake into the upgraded class ). If ever anything goes wrong, the original email with the asterisk is your key.

By the way, the reticketing email will not show the asterisk on the upgrade clas, but it still retains the property.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Originally Posted by brp
Nope. Done this more than a few times. Posts as distance-based (on original fare class with the very occasional mistake into the upgraded class ). If ever anything goes wrong, the original email with the asterisk is your key.

By the way, the reticketing email will not show the asterisk on the upgrade clas, but it still retains the property.

Cheers.
it sometimes-fairly often-does happen. There is quite a discusdion on this topic on other threads. It has happened to me twice. Usually, a simple email to AAdvantage CS resolves it.
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:07 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Whodunit68

it sometimes-fairly often-does happen. There is quite a discusdion on this topic on other threads. It has happened to me twice. Usually, a simple email to AAdvantage CS resolves it.
interesting. More than half a dozen of these and no issues. Just been lucky, I guess 😀
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by Whodunit68

Originally Posted by brp

interesting. More than half a dozen of these and no issues. Just been lucky, I guess 😀
Yeh I've been reading through the thread but most of the discussion revolves around AAV fares, and not consolidator/bulk fares which don't come with a * on the fare.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brp

maybe. But I can assure you there are lots of people who have fought this fight, myself included. It’s generally not been a big deal but we have to watch.
search around, lots of threads on it. I wouldn’t mind a little of your luck.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by brp
Yes, I think you've been just lucky.
I already had twice this year. My flight were upgraded, and then I received miles based on fare even original fare with asterisk . I just sent AAdvantage email to fix, though.
Whodunit68 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Ive had cruises twice book me on an N fare, which shows on the chart as a normal fare. Both have come in as "special fares" distance based (on expensive tickets). I know cruises get bulk discounts, but I wish these fares were coded differently. It's as if they are trying to trick us. Is N fare always a cruise fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.