Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mattolo
Hi all,

Kind of confused by all of this. I am trying to book a "special fare" for LAX-ATL (nonstop) including a car rental on AA vacations in order to earn more EQDs than just straight out buying the fare on AA.com. I found a package with rental car for $691 and it says the fare class is G*. Is this what I need to do? How many EQDs would I earn for this flight or how do I calculate this? Also other than seeing G* how to I look at the fare terms to make sure it is a special fare? Please help!

Thanks!
1946 miles.
G* according to AA's special fare chart on https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/miles/earn/special-fares.jsp gets you 10% of miles flown in EQDs or 195 (194.60) EQDs each way.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Whodunit68
1946 miles.
G* according to AA's special fare chart on https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp gets you 10% of miles flown in EQDs or 195 (194.60) EQDs each way.
Thanks for the quick reply! It's exactly the same EQDs as buying the fare by itself on AA.com but the price is a lot more on AA vacations. Clearly this is not working the way I thought lol.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mattolo
Thanks for the quick reply! It's exactly the same EQDs as buying the fare by itself on AA.com but the price is a lot more on AA vacations. Clearly this is not working the way I thought lol.
It's usually great for long international, inexpensive trips....
I've not seen one yet workout for do. Estic.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Keep in mind all earnings changed January 1, I believe the example above would only earn 5% EQD.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
Keep in mind all earnings changed January 1, I believe the example above would only earn 5% EQD.
click the link and you will find that I am correct-10% for G after Jan 1, 2019.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Whodunit68

click the link and you will find that I am correct-10% for G after Jan 1, 2019.
Yes, I was totally wrong--my bad!
Whodunit68 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Does anyone have suggestions when booking this by phone with AA Vacations to make sure I get "*" fares? The agents I've spoken with don't understand that, but they can confirm that it's a "bulk" fare.

Last edited by bworrell; Jan 10, 2019 at 3:20 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:41 pm

Ask them to email you the itinerary while you're talking to them. Only provide your credit card if you see the * on all the flights listed.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:43 pm

I recently booked airfare from Wells Fargo Travel, operated by AA and paid using WF points. This trip appeared the next day on the AA website under "My Trips" with the amount paid as it would be if I had purchased the trip directly from AA. Should that be taken as an indication that this trip might not be considered a "Special Fare"?
This is my first time using WF Travel with AA-operated flights, thus have no idea how to identify a special fare.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I recently booked airfare from Wells Fargo Travel, operated by AA and paid using WF points. This trip appeared the next day on the AA website under "My Trips" with the amount paid as it would be if I had purchased the trip directly from AA. Should that be taken as an indication that this trip might not be considered a "Special Fare"?
This is my first time using WF Travel with AA-operated flights, thus have no idea how to identify a special fare.
Yes, just because you booked from an outside source like Wells Fargo Travel (or Amex or Chase, etc.) certainly doesn't mean it will post as a special fare.

In many cases, an OTA like Wells Fargo Travel is just booking the normal standard fares (same as you could book at aa.com), but you just have the option to apply your points currency towards the purchase price. In this instance, was the price you paid via Wells Fargo a lot cheaper than the same flights at aa.com? If yes, then it could still be a special fare, if no then probably not. In any event, the fare showing up at aa.com isn't a good sign if you're hoping for special fare credit.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
... In this instance, was the price you paid via Wells Fargo a lot cheaper than the same flights at aa.com? If yes, then it could still be a special fare, if no then probably not. In any event, the fare showing up at aa.com isn't a good sign if you're hoping for special fare credit.
Yes, WF redeems for airfare at 150% of cash redemptions -- e.g. 1000 WF points = $10 cash or $15 in airfare. And yes, I'm hoping for a special fare. It's long distance / bargain price kind of trip. Maybe I should've gone with AmEx Travel, but that website would not quote me the same bargain fare, and their human agents were not much better than the website.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yes, WF redeems for airfare at 150% of cash redemptions -- e.g. 1000 WF points = $10 cash or $15 in airfare. And yes, I'm hoping for a special fare. It's long distance / bargain price kind of trip. Maybe I should've gone with AmEx Travel, but that website would not quote me the same bargain fare, and their human agents were not much better than the website.
Right, but the redemption ratio for any given program like Wells Fargo is irrelevant, what is relevant is what was the cash fare that Wells Fargo offered for your flights, before you applied your points? If it was the same as aa.com then it's not likely a special fare.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Right, but the redemption ratio for any given program like Wells Fargo is irrelevant, what is relevant is what was the cash fare that Wells Fargo offered for your flights, before you applied your points? If it was the same as aa.com then it's not likely a special fare.
That fare was not unique to WF Travel or a bulk fare.
So how should a special fare itin appear on the AA website? Should there be no reference at all to the dollar cost?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
That fare was not unique to WF Travel or a bulk fare.
So how should a special fare itin appear on the AA website? Should there be no reference at all to the dollar cost?
I'm not sure the website gives you the detail you need. I've had the correct, discounted cost of our agency's negotiated fares show up on the website and AA generated receipt, then credit as a special fare.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I'm not sure the website gives you the detail you need. I've had the correct, discounted cost of our agency's negotiated fares show up on the website and AA generated receipt, then credit as a special fare.
Agreed, it would certainly help if AA website disclosed the correct EQD credit before the trip is taken. Today I happened to be on the phone with AA to book a different trip, and asked the agent about this trip as well. The agent stated that the PNR in question already has the EQD number attached to it. It was rather miniscule, indicating that it would count as a regular fare. Any chance it could credit differently after the trip is taken? Right now I have a huge incentive to credit the trip to a partner airline (e.g. AS) instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.