Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
[QUOTE=Whodunit68;30005117]nope, it does not.

How about if you use miles + copay option to upgrade? Will this result in the ticket being reissued to drop the special fare currently had?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Whodunit68
nope, it does not.

fares are priced per segment.

They can be found. It's not a matter of never, it's a matter of finding one. It's even becoming more rare to find one in Economy than even earlier this year.
If you want mileage-based EQDs, you can fly a partner which will give you similar (of course you have to watch fare class and which partner, etc.
Have a look at CX, JL, etc, if going to Asia.
How about if you use miles + copay option to upgrade? Will this result in the ticket being reissued to drop the special fare currently had?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mrosskam
probably but if you purchase a special fare, you should get special fare credit simply by contacting the Aadvantage desk.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Smile

probably but if you purchase a special fare, you should get special fare credit simply by contacting the Aadvantage desk.
I booked via Amex MR Portal. I'm not sure what I will end up getting. How do I prove to the AAdvantage desk that I should get special fare, if the system doesn't automatically do it?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milesforhire
I booked via Amex MR Portal. I'm not sure what I will end up getting. How do I prove to the AAdvantage desk that I should get special fare, if the system doesn't automatically do it?
My apologies, I was thinking AAvacations. I don't know if that's special fare. I've seen some threads on AMEX MR Portal so better one of the experts give you appropriate response. Sorry.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by milesforhire
If you purchase a flight from Amex or Chase, etc., it will either post as a special fare or it won't. If it doesn't, you're out of luck. There is nothing in AA's terms or otherwise that say flights purchased via Amex/Chase will always post as special fares, so you have nothing to go back to AA with if it posts normally.

There are anecdotal data points here about certain terms mentioned in the fare rules for these (i.e. "bulk") that can lead to educated guesses of how a flight may post, but again it's far from guaranteed.

The only thing "guaranteed" at least to this point by AA is that AA Vacations packages purchased with fare codes with asterisks (I*, etc.) should post as special fares. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. If they don't, you can get this corrected by AAdvantage Customer Service because at least it's in writing at aa.com that * fares from AA Vacations should post as special fares.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Talking

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you purchase a flight from Amex or Chase, etc., it will either post as a special fare or it won't. If it doesn't, you're out of luck. There is nothing in AA's terms or otherwise that say flights purchased via Amex/Chase will always post as special fares, so you have nothing to go back to AA with if it posts normally.

There are anecdotal data points here about certain terms mentioned in the fare rules for these (i.e. "bulk") that can lead to educated guesses of how a flight may post, but again it's far from guaranteed.

The only thing "guaranteed" at least to this point by AA is that AA Vacations packages purchased with fare codes with asterisks (I*, etc.) should post as special fares. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. If they don't, you can get this corrected by AAdvantage Customer Service because at least it's in writing at aa.com that * fares from AA Vacations should post as special fares.
Thank you for the clear description. That clears up my confusion! I'll just pray everything works out favorably - I booked the trip before I learned of any of this!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:04 pm

Adding a data point....I booked via chase UR portal a PE fare on aa metal, international route. I used 10k UR points to see what would happen (and hopefully not see the price when it tickets). It took about 8 hours to ticket and when I log into AA.com I see the price of the flight, which tells me that I will get EQD's for the cost of the flight instead of 20% of miles flown.

I could not get this flight to be available on AA with the P* after it...kept coming up with no star. The regular economy price gives me the star...and ironically, I would get more EQD's out of the regular economy than I would out of the premium economy at almost twice the price.

Any other opportunities I'm missing (flying AA metal only)? Seems between Amex and Chase it's a crap shoot and unless you have the star on AA Vacations you aren't getting anything.

Edit...I did search the terms on chase and found both bulk and wholesale, so not sure where it needs to be or in what exact spot in order to qualify.

Last edited by Mrgolfer21; Aug 14, 2018 at 9:09 pm Reason: update info
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Anyone have experience with a completed flight showing up in your AA account with activity being calculated as "Method: Distance - special fare" but the actual EQM/EQD/award miles are being calculated as it were a regular fare?

I assume it's worth having them review and adjust the credits upward, if I am understanding the "Method: Distance - special fare" notation correctly...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by kbjarvis
Anyone have experience with a completed flight showing up in your AA account with activity being calculated as "Method: Distance - special fare" but the actual EQM/EQD/award miles are being calculated as it were a regular fare?

I assume it's worth having them review and adjust the credits upward, if I am understanding the "Method: Distance - special fare" notation correctly...
upload an screenshot to take a look.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Finding special fares on AA Vacations is a lot tougher than it used to be it seems. Anyone have a magic bullet?

Safe Travels
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Private Student Fares

In the past, I have had success with flights posting as special fares using the Citi ThankYou Portal when the final line in the fare rules mentions "Domestic Wholesale Fares". When booking an international ticket, I saw a similar message, but instead of "Domestic Wholesale Fare," I saw "Private Student Fare". Does anyone have any data points on using TYP on international tickets that credit as special fares? For reference, here is what is listed on the fare rules:
  • APPLICATION RULE FARE BY RULE TEXT UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED PRIVATE STUDENT FARES OTHER CONDITIONS OSI ELEMENT MUST BE ENTERED IN RESERVATION - OSI AA L1000. BOOKING MAY BE CANCELLED AUTOMATICALLY IF L1000 NOT ENTERED IN THE OSI FIELD CORRECTLY. IT/BT ARE INTERCHANGEABLE IN THE FARE BOX OF THE TICKET.
I see an identical message for domestic tickets (that credit as special fares), replacing Private Student Fare for Domestic Wholesale Fare.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:22 pm

Please forgive me if I've committed the cardinal forum sin by posting this in a second location. I will gladly remove one if it's the right thing to do. I remembered this thread after posting in another.

I'm curious how this will work out. After reading about the ~$300 LAX-SIN on AA and all the posting, I decided to try fareboom since I missed the AAV Labor Day sale (don't ask).
I just purchased 2 return tickets in PE (or so it seems) on Fareboom for a trip MCO-PEK. $769 for PE!@#$ That is close to the Delta fares in PE.
It's ticketed, shows on AA.com, etc. Fareboom shows it as booking class H which, according to AA's site, will post as Economy. Any ideas how it will be recorded if it posts as bulk fare, which I'm really hoping, I'll be pretty happy. GCMAP puts this trip at 16,423 which, according to AA's mileage page, will get me 20% or $3285 EQDs and put me over the top for EP for too many years in a row.
Anyone have ideas about how this may post?
It shows economy (H) MCO->LAX, PE on both FB and AA.com for LAX->PEK, and PEK-DFW, and Economy DFW->MCO. All are showing H. I am reasonably sure AA's bulk fare posting rules don't have a PE but do get me 20% EQDs which is what I'm after.
FB shows the fare basis as PLE03EN1. I've never been good at figuring out the Fare Basis thing. I've tried to find it on Matrix but no luck. An ExpertFlyer class search on "H" said "no entries." An EF search on PLE03EN1 shows no entries. Oy vey!
AA mileage chart shows https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

What did I buy? Any ideas how it *may* post? I know this is subjective to some degree...
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Please forgive me if I've committed the cardinal forum sin by posting this in a second location. I will gladly remove one if it's the right thing to do. I remembered this thread after posting in another.

I'm curious how this will work out. After reading about the ~$300 LAX-SIN on AA and all the posting, I decided to try fareboom since I missed the AAV Labor Day sale (don't ask).
I just purchased 2 return tickets in PE (or so it seems) on Fareboom for a trip MCO-PEK. $769 for PE!@#$ That is close to the Delta fares in PE.
It's ticketed, shows on AA.com, etc. Fareboom shows it as booking class H which, according to AA's site, will post as Economy. Any ideas how it will be recorded if it posts as bulk fare, which I'm really hoping, I'll be pretty happy. GCMAP puts this trip at 16,423 which, according to AA's mileage page, will get me 20% or $3285 EQDs and put me over the top for EP for too many years in a row.
Anyone have ideas about how this may post?
It shows economy (H) MCO->LAX, PE on both FB and AA.com for LAX->PEK, and PEK-DFW, and Economy DFW->MCO. All are showing H. I am reasonably sure AA's bulk fare posting rules don't have a PE but do get me 20% EQDs which is what I'm after.
FB shows the fare basis as PLE03EN1. I've never been good at figuring out the Fare Basis thing. I've tried to find it on Matrix but no luck. An ExpertFlyer class search on "H" said "no entries." An EF search on PLE03EN1 shows no entries. Oy vey!
AA mileage chart shows https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

What did I buy? Any ideas how it *may* post? I know this is subjective to some degree...
You bought a P fare, discount premium economy that books into H for the domestic segments (with no PE) and P for the long haul segments.

If it posts as a special fare you'll get the $3285 EQD, if it posts as a normal fare then only the ~$700 EQD.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 4:14 pm

BULK line - Does it look like a BULK fare to you?

Started looking around some AA fares lately. I saw this particular line of a fare that I think is BULK, but not entirely sure:

- THE NEW ITINERARY MUST MEET THE ADVANCE RES/TKT//MIN/MAX STAY REQUIREMENTS OF THE BULK FARE -

I pulled up the P fare basis from EF. It doesn't have this particular line in their published fares. This fare is indeed a bit lower than the Google flights or the AA.com one.

Does it look like a BULK fare to you?

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Sep 14, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.