Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Just finished a trip that lost its fare information in the ether, and the EQDs were posted by distance.

Somewhere AA lost my fare basis:

1. Fare was originally a round trip ticket constructed from cheap economy one way fares YYZ-DCA-LGA-CLT-LAS and LAS-PHX-PHL-YYZ. I think it was two one way fares per direction in Q fares and may have been originally priced in CAD.
2. Applied USD voucher to flight
3. Called to upfare outbound to first (D fare) and simplify schedule YYZ-DFW-LAS while leaving return flights unchanged. Spend 40 minutes on hold while they tried to calculate the price. For some reason my ticket was like .92 cents more to upfare than my companion.
4. Cleared 500 mile upgrade on LAS-PHX return, (although this leg still posted as Q distance rather than R.)
5. Ended up getting about $1000 EQDs for a $600 flight.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
On the Amex MR Portal, I recently booked ATL-LAX-SYD roundtrip via AA metal, deeply discounted (Class O). This is what I see on wheretocredit.com.
I struggle with calculating US carrier mileage accrual (I've been wrong the last 2 times). Can I get a sanity check?

I calculate getting $528 EQDs (airfare cost; no fees/taxes), 4 EQS, and 18,868 EQMs. I'm an AA peasant, going for AA Gold.

From what I read here, there's a chance that it will get stamped as Special Fare. When I looked that up, it looked like I'd get 10% mileage for EQDs if that was the case (meaning $1886 EQDs instead of $528). I don't see an asterisk on my Class O designation on my itinerary.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by milesforhire
On the Amex MR Portal, I recently booked ATL-LAX-SYD roundtrip via AA metal, deeply discounted (Class O). This is what I see on wheretocredit.com.
I struggle with calculating US carrier mileage accrual (I've been wrong the last 2 times). Can I get a sanity check?

I calculate getting $528 EQDs (airfare cost; no fees/taxes), 4 EQS, and 18,868 EQMs. I'm an AA peasant, going for AA Gold.

From what I read here, there's a chance that it will get stamped as Special Fare. When I looked that up, it looked like I'd get 10% mileage for EQDs if that was the case (meaning $1886 EQDs instead of $528). I don't see an asterisk on my Class O designation on my itinerary.
The asterisk is only relevant for bookings through AA Vacations. For bookings through Amex, Chase, etc., there's no way to know if it will post as a normal fare or special fare.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The asterisk is only relevant for bookings through AA Vacations. For bookings through Amex, Chase, etc., there's no way to know if it will post as a normal fare or special fare.
Aww that's disappointing. Guess I'll find out in October how close I get to Gold, and try to figure out a small mileage run to clean up the remainder.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That's not really true. At least Chase and Citi make their fare rules available which clearly list special fares as "bulk." Those basically post as special fares 100% of the time (unless you have your ticket reissued for some reason).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by SamOF
That's not really true. At least Chase and Citi make their fare rules available which clearly list special fares as "bulk." Those basically post as special fares 100% of the time (unless you have your ticket reissued for some reason).
Is there a sure-fire method of parsing out the special fares? I've got a flight booked through Chase, LGA-ORD-PHX-HNL. The fare rules mention bulk fare repeatedly for all 3 segments, and the LGA-ORD segment even mentions wholesale. However, the price does display in my trip summary in my AAdvantage account. I've read that wholesale is a 100% indicator of special fare, but then I've also read that a price showing on AA.com is a 100% indicator that it's not a special fare and will post EQD by fare rather than distance. Does anyone have enough experience with these to clarify?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker
Is there a sure-fire method of parsing out the special fares? I've got a flight booked through Chase, LGA-ORD-PHX-HNL. The fare rules mention bulk fare repeatedly for all 3 segments, and the LGA-ORD segment even mentions wholesale. However, the price does display in my trip summary in my AAdvantage account. I've read that wholesale is a 100% indicator of special fare, but then I've also read that a price showing on AA.com is a 100% indicator that it's not a special fare and will post EQD by fare rather than distance. Does anyone have enough experience with these to clarify?
Are there really different fare rules for the different segments? That could explain it.

I've never seen a fare from Chase that is listed as bulk or wholesale that shows the price...
Old Aug 2, 2018, 12:50 pm

Unhappy

However, the price does display in my trip summary in my AAdvantage account. I've read that wholesale is a 100% indicator of special fare, but then I've also read that a price showing on AA.com is a 100% indicator that it's not a special fare and will post EQD by fare rather than distance.
If this is true, then I see my price on AA.com and probably won't get special fare. Bummer.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
I’ve experienced where booking as multi city on chase ends up with fare showing on AA whereas for same routing if you don’t book as multi-city it shows without fare on AA. I think it’s pretty reliable that if fare shows on AA.com that you will not get special fare credit.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I have an interesting one. Booked AAV LAX-LHR in PE - at time of booking fare code was P*. I also received (and of course saved) email receipt saying P*. However about 5 days later I received another emailed receipt that was just P. Has anyone seen this before? I would think and hope they would honor the original P* - otherwise I would not have used AAV - would have booked a hotel direct through SPG to get my elite benefits
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uscjeff
I have an interesting one. Booked AAV LAX-LHR in PE - at time of booking fare code was P*. I also received (and of course saved) email receipt saying P*. However about 5 days later I received another emailed receipt that was just P. Has anyone seen this before? I would think and hope they would honor the original P* - otherwise I would not have used AAV - would have booked a hotel direct through SPG to get my elite benefits
yes. It happens all the time. If it doesn’t post as Fare-based contact AAdvantage after your trip.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
All,

Been playing around with AA Vacations, using Flight and Car with business class fares and getting no flights available (tried for locales such as AMS, CDG, LHR) returned. When I do the search for Flight and Hotel, then all of a sudden flights (and hotels) are available. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Safe Travels
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:40 pm

I believe for international premium cabin(s) you need to have a hotel along with the air. Air/car doesn't work.
Originally Posted by GTITAN
All,

Been playing around with AA Vacations, using Flight and Car with business class fares and getting no flights available (tried for locales such as AMS, CDG, LHR) returned. When I do the search for Flight and Hotel, then all of a sudden flights (and hotels) are available. Any thoughts on what might be going on?

Safe Travels
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Whodunit68

yes. It happens all the time. If it doesn’t post as Fare-based contact AAdvantage after your trip.
I figured what happened here - schedule change retriggered the receipt which of course dropped the * after the P. Another IT FAAil
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
I think it’s pretty reliable that if fare shows on AA.com that you will not get special fare credit.
Is the inverse of this reliably true? If the fare does NOT show on AA.com - does that imply that the flights will post using the alternate "distance based" formula?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.