Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Titanium
Exclamation Error on Special Fare mileage earning

I recent completed a BOS-DFW-PVG roundtrip with the ticket booked in H+P class and the whole ticket is a special fare the fare does not show up on AA.com. I used SWU for both directions and cleared well in advanced, after my SWU is cleared and ticket is reissued the fare information on AA.com is still missing. However when I completed the trip I noticed miles is being posted as fare with the fare class on BOS-DFW being H and DFW-PVG being C. Is there any chance that I can call the EXP desk or AAdvantage desk to get the EQMs and EQDs corrected?

​​​​​​​Thanks in the Advanced.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA EP
Yes. Call ACS.

Originally Posted by songzm
I recent completed a BOS-DFW-PVG roundtrip with the ticket booked in H+P class and the whole ticket is a special fare the fare does not show up on AA.com. I used SWU for both directions and cleared well in advanced, after my SWU is cleared and ticket is reissued the fare information on AA.com is still missing. However when I completed the trip I noticed miles is being posted as fare with the fare class on BOS-DFW being H and DFW-PVG being C. Is there any chance that I can call the EXP desk or AAdvantage desk to get the EQMs and EQDs corrected?

​​​​​​​Thanks in the Advanced.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What made it a special fare?

Did you buy it as a vacation where the fare was displayed as such or are you just assuming it was a special fare since it didn't show online

If the former, then you should be able to get it fixed, if anything else, do you have anything to support that it credited in error?
Old May 3, 2018, 2:02 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Yes. Call ACS.

Just called AAdvantage customer desk, they told me they have to manually review it. It could takes a couple weeks, I hope they will change the posting method to the correct one.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:02 pm

Just called AAdvantage customer desk, they told me they have to manually review it. It could takes a couple weeks, I hope they will change the posting method to the correct one.
Why do you believe it to not be a normal fare?
Old May 3, 2018, 3:14 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I had an AA Vacation "deal" which I upgraded with SWUs; after completion of my itn everything posted based on $, not distance. I called ACS and the manual correction took place 2 days later.
[PS: To use my SWUs, EXP desk had to first contact AA Vacations...did this happen in your case?]

Last edited by nrr; May 3, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Old May 4, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nrr
I had an AA Vacation "deal" which I upgraded with SWUs; after completion of my itn everything posted based on $, not distance. I called ACS and the manual correction took place 2 days later.
[PS: To use my SWUs, EXP desk had to first contact AA Vacations...did this happen in your case?]
Mine also took about 2 days - on 2 separate trips.
EXP desk did not contact AA Vacations in my case.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why do you believe it to not be a normal fare?
Before SWU was cleared, on the fare detail it only says contacts your travel agency for fare detail not like other fare where you can see base fare and tax.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Before SWU was cleared, on the fare detail it only says contacts your travel agency for fare detail not like other fare where you can see base fare and tax.
Did you buy it trough AAV? does the email confirmation contain an asterisk (*) next to the fare code letter?
Old May 4, 2018, 12:07 pm

When you purchased the ticket, what on the ticket purchase indicated that it was a special fare? The fare not showing on the website does not mean that it is a special fare

H+P classes is perfectly normal for a dual inventory fare which uses H as its underlying base ( e.g. HHX00MN1/PAUP )

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 4, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Old May 5, 2018, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When you purchased the ticket, what on the ticket purchase indicated that it was a special fare? The fare not showing on the website does not mean that it is a special fare

H+P classes is perfectly normal for a dual inventory fare which uses H as its underlying base ( e.g. HHX00MN1/PAUP )
I purchased this ticket a long while ago. And that particular pricing is not available on aa.com
Old May 26, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Has anyone noticed that there's not many asterisks on AA vacations anymore? Maybe I'm just not searching for the right routing, but I'm not finding them as often.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:41 pm

OK, dumb question but I can't seem to figure it out.... Looking at an AAVacations booking I* class (domestic biz/first).

The charts here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

show 20% EQD's (top half), and 30% EQD's (bottom half) for I*

Any idea which it would be? (I am looking for an EQD run, not EQM)

Thanks FT!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
OK, dumb question but I can't seem to figure it out.... Looking at an AAVacations booking I* class (domestic biz/first).

Thanks FT!
- AA vacations I* would be special fare, i.e., 20% EQD.
I never had AA vacations fares credits as "fare not available".
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:45 pm

20%

Originally Posted by spongenotbob

Thanks FT!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.