Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Where do you see the "*" next to the fare code, before or after you book the ticket and hotel package on AAV?

OK - I when through a booking but just got to the pay page, the outbound does not have an * but the return flights do have an *. Strange.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nk15
I have a question, found a fare on AA vacations but thee outbound is without asterisk and the return is with asterisk, how would this work? The outbound will post as fare based and the return as distance based? How they would even calculate that fare for the outbound?

Also, my understanding is that, after applying an SWU, if the return converts to fare based, I can call and ask they re-post it as distance based?
I have never seen a mixed (asterisk and non-asterisk) itinerary, so I can't answer that part.

As to the second, if it is purchased as Special (asterisk), upgrading will not impact that, in the end. If it does when it first posts, just call. I've never failed to get them to fix mistakes. But, surprisingly, few things post with mistakes...even a recent one purchased as Special, with an airport change that they allowed because of a schedule change. Still posted as Special.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by brp
I have never seen a mixed (asterisk and non-asterisk) itinerary, so I can't answer that part.

As to the second, if it is purchased as Special (asterisk), upgrading will not impact that, in the end. If it does when it first posts, just call. I've never failed to get them to fix mistakes. But, surprisingly, few things post with mistakes...even a recent one purchased as Special, with an airport change that they allowed because of a schedule change. Still posted as Special.

Cheers.
Great, thanks to both.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EP
Why is this strange? Means a bulk type fare was only used one way.

Originally Posted by cova
Where do you see the "*" next to the fare code, before or after you book the ticket and hotel package on AAV?

OK - I when through a booking but just got to the pay page, the outbound does not have an * but the return flights do have an *. Strange.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Why is this strange? Means a bulk type fare was only used one way.
Then what is the condition that causes non-bulk and bulk in the same ticket?

A round trip with same connecting city in both directions.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Then what is the condition that causes non-bulk and bulk in the same ticket?

A round trip with same connecting city in both directions.
The bulk fare was cheaper in one direction, and it was more expensive or unavailable in the other direction?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Antipode
The bulk fare was cheaper in one direction, and it was more expensive or unavailable in the other direction?
The more expensive direction is showing as a bulk fare with Y bucket for the domestic portion. The cheaper direction is the non-bulk fare.

This is a Premium Economy fare on AA for the international segment in each direction with a coach feeder segment. The non-bulk is a K fare, the bulk fare is a full Y fare for the domestic segment. The international segments are P in both directions, with the more expensive direction the bulk fare.

Seems like the bulk would be the cheaper segment.

If I book economy in both directions it comes out bulk in both directions.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
The more expensive direction is showing as a bulk fare with Y bucket for the domestic portion. The cheaper direction is the non-bulk fare.
It could still be that the cheapest available fare in one direction on that particular date was a bulk fare and in the other direction it was a non-bulk fare.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Does anyone have specific experience using BOA travel reward points to buy a ticket. It seems as though it should work just like TYP, but I was wondering if anyone has actually used them, and how the EQDs were calculated. I have already confirmed with AA that I can use a SWU to upgrade the ticket, but I would really like the distance based calculation if possible.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:24 pm

Well, I just booked a rt ticket MIA-MAD with BOA points, using a combination of part points, part cash, to see whether that confuses the ability of AA to determine the fare any further. I will report back once I see how EQDs are computed.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:51 pm

To add a further data point, there was no problem in immediately contacting AA EXP and getting the SWU applied to my outbound ticket, and listed for the flight home. BOA had "requested" aisle seats, which caused the ticket price on AA to show much higher, which the agent corrected, hopefully further muddling the ticket cost issue. We'll see.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Does anyone have any recommendations on a travel agent / OTA that could book a bulk fare? I booked a ticket via Chase ($15 less than aa.com), but the rules and fare class show it's a published fare. I don't have access the Citi or Amex portals. Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2017, 4:46 am

Less AAV *J/Y fares recently...

I am not sure if anybody noticed, but I found there have been way less AAV * fares lately. I pulled up the same flight in OTA, and it indicated it's a 'Special Fare' during checkout. I saw that in the similar flight I took on OTA Vacation package in March, and it worked out as distance-based.

I think AA is trying to limit the number of miles on AAV reservations too. I may just go over to OTA if that is really the case.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Nov 3, 2017 at 3:48 pm
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
I am not sure if anybody noticed, but I found there have been way less AAV * fares lately. I pulled up the same flight in OTA, and it indicated it's a 'Special Fare' during checkout. I saw that in the similar flight I took on OTA Vacation package in March, and it worked out as distance-based.

I think AA is trying to limit the number of miles on AAV reservations too.
This, and I've also noticed they seem to be restricting I fares (discounted business) on routes I typically book through AA Vacations- primarily to Frankfurt. On wide-open cabins with 7s all across out of either DFW or CLT, nobody with a seat selected on the map, I've seen many zeros in the "I" bucket or if lucky, only 1 or 2 available. Especially on CLT-FRA-CLT. This means a trip that usually cost ~$2500 now sells around $5000 for many dates I've checked, close-in and far-out.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Has AA Vacations removed all special fares from routes to Asia? I cannot find one single special fare anymore (as marked by *) ... but when I searched a couple days ago there were many. I've been looking JFK/LAX to CGK/HKG various days. Please let me know if you can find ANY special fares to Asia. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.