Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, HH G, IHG P, Hyatt P
Originally Posted by swingaling
Do you need to buy the tickets completely with TYP/UR? Or can you buy the ticket with a few TYP/UR and the rest cash and still get it to count as a special fare?
I booked a flight earlier this year using mostly points with a little spend (on my Prestige card). It came up as a special fare.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
EQDs for membership rewards points use

I'm going to be a bit short with my platinum challenge on EQDs only. My last flight of the period is LAX to JFK RT and is only needed for EQDs. I know typically points needed is based on a dollar amount per point, 1 cent per dollar but with insider fares it's less(and then half back for grandfathered plat bus).

How are EQDs figured? I assume they are earned even though MP point redemption, correct? Couldn't get a straight answer from the Advantage people and she said she couldn't find it at first, something about a transfer. I do show it on my app, though. Should I be taking miles used, figuring 1 cent per mile to get EQD estimate?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I'm going to be a bit short with my platinum challenge on EQDs only. My last flight of the period is LAX to JFK RT and is only needed for EQDs. I know typically points needed is based on a dollar amount per point, 1 cent per dollar but with insider fares it's less(and then half back for grandfathered plat bus).

How are EQDs figured? I assume they are earned even though MP point redemption, correct? Couldn't get a straight answer from the Advantage people and she said she couldn't find it at first, something about a transfer. I do show it on my app, though. Should I be taking miles used, figuring 1 cent per mile to get EQD estimate?
It's most likely going to give you a "special fare" (see the Wikipost at the top of the page) rendering a percentage of the flown miles.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

It sounds to me like you're confusing the percentage of miles flown with a percentage of dollars spent. If you earn EQDs based on actual dollars spent on airfare, a dollar is an EQD is a dollar (as long as its fare or carrier-imposed fees, not taxes or government-imposed fees). If you're on a special/consolidator fare (where AA doesnt actually know how much you paid), it's a percentage of miles flown, not of dollars spent. Sometimes that percentage of miles flown works out to be more than the dollars spent.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
It's most likely going to give you a "special fare" (see the Wikipost at the top of the page) rendering a percentage of the flown miles.
Originally Posted by ashill
It sounds to me like you're confusing the percentage of miles flown with a percentage of dollars spent. If you earn EQDs based on actual dollars spent on airfare, a dollar is an EQD is a dollar (as long as its fare or carrier-imposed fees, not taxes or government-imposed fees). If you're on a special/consolidator fare (where AA doesnt actually know how much you paid), it's a percentage of miles flown, not of dollars spent. Sometimes that percentage of miles flown works out to be more than the dollars spent.
I am actually surprised that the wiki is so 100% sure that pay-with-points will definitely result in distance-based. DPs through spring indicated it wasn't always distance. A few DPs in Sep have all been distance. Is the conclusion based on just those? Plus maybe the statement (of dubious worth) I relayed from an AAgent? Or was there something more substantive I missed?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ashill
The agent I spoke to didn't even see the flight at first, I guess because of how purchased. My main concern is I make up the 475 EQDs needed for my challenge. RT business on the AA transcon paid with MRs should easily do that, right?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
The agent I spoke to didn't even see the flight at first, I guess because of how purchased. My main concern is I make up the 475 EQDs needed for my challenge. RT business on the AA transcon paid with MRs should easily do that, right?
JFK-LAX RT is 4975 miles. If your EQD earning turns out to be distance-based, business class earns any where from 20 to 30% of that depending on specific fare class, so you'd earn between 995 and 1493 EQD.

But if you're business class, your fare might be high enough for 475 as well. What did you pay?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:32 pm

Paid in membership reward points, about $950-1100 was the cash price iirc. Insider fares so even less points than typically would be. I cannot recall fare class but I believe it's a flexible fare, not nonrefundable. That seems to be what AMEX bookings for business/domestic First are always based on.

I think it was D

Last edited by Jonesdds; Sep 15, 2017 at 1:02 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM
Paid in membership reward points, about $950-1100 was the cash price iirc. Insider fares so even less points than typically would be. I cannot recall fare class but I believe it's a flexible fare, not nonrefundable. That seems to be what AMEX bookings for business/domestic First are always based on.

I think it was D
Two questions:

1) Can anyone else who has booked business class with points via the AMEX travel portal confirm that they always (or usually?) end up coming up as "D"?

2) Can anyone confirm how EQDs and EQMs were calculated on such a fare? I'm assuming that it would follow the special fares chart (EQM=2xmileage; EQD=25% of mileage)?

I'm going to need to do an EQM/EQD run here pretty soon, and I'm trying to determine the most efficient way to do so (book through AMEX with points or book on AS with $$$).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I am actually surprised that the wiki is so 100% sure that pay-with-points will definitely result in distance-based. DPs through spring indicated it wasn't always distance. A few DPs in Sep have all been distance. Is the conclusion based on just those? Plus maybe the statement (of dubious worth) I relayed from an AAgent? Or was there something more substantive I missed?
I have found it to be inconsistent. One flight booked with TYP's was credited - special fare distance, another fare based.

Last edited by hawaii-bound; Sep 19, 2017 at 3:57 pm
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Although a rather small sample at this point, I've had more tickets purchased with TYPs credit by fare than by distance. Something like 4 out of 6, although the most recent (August) was by distance. I'd call it a crapshoot at best.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by brp
We even had an AA Vacations package that used SWUs convert to fare-based, so it is certainly common enough. In this case, because it is documented, it was easy to get it fixed. But I agree with others that the non-documented channels are a crap shoot.

Cheers.
Recently had an AA Vacations package upgraded with SWUs where one of the segments converted to fare-based, although both segments are listed as "Distance based" in the activity summary table. Has anyone experienced these sorts of oddities and had them changed later without calling in?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EP
Lots of discussion. Including the reply above. If u use a swu the Vacations segment designator changes to that for a swu. U need to call aa customer service to have it re posted.

Originally Posted by fanger
Recently had an AA Vacations package upgraded with SWUs where one of the segments converted to fare-based, although both segments are listed as "Distance based" in the activity summary table. Has anyone experienced these sorts of oddities and had them changed later without calling in?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Lots of discussion. Including the reply above. If u use a swu the Vacations segment designator changes to that for a swu. U need to call aa customer service to have it re posted.
- That was my experience as well. I have booked one vacation package to travel with my wife, the record locator was split into two, both were upgraded as separate tickets with SWUs. My ticket was credited as a special fare distance based but her was fare based. A call to AA got this fixed.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've been trying to find international special fares (marked with an asterisk after the booking code) on AAVacations, but haven't found anything. Most domestic fares I've found there show as special fares, but none of the international fares are.

Anyone have any experience with this? Looks like AA made some changes in June that may have affected this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.