Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Marriott Ambassador (LT Titanium)
[Test: Delete Please]

[Test: Delete Please]

Last edited by sam2k2002; Feb 26, 2017 at 8:09 pm
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I have booked on Delta using Chase Ultimate Rewards and Delta sees and awards on the correct cost. Don't know about AA.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think you mean "per se" - but it will really depend on how the company issues it - you may find that it is classed as a special fare by distance or it may be a fare where the cash component is covered by the card company and it will earn as per the fare rules

I would recommend assuming that it will credit by fare and that if it credits by distance then that is just lucky ( or unlucky if an expensive fare )
Old May 3, 2017, 6:28 pm

AA special fare when using BXP1

I have heard that using SWU will almost certainly restore the fare on special fare. Does anyone know one way or another whether using BXP1 to upgrade from Biz to First on domestic routes will trigger the samething
Old May 29, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
How to book "special fares" - known OTAs?

Comparing the standard earning chart to the "special fares" earning chart, it seems there are certain circumstances where it would be preferable to earn according to the latter. Are there any non-opaque OTAs which are known to book into these fares?
Old May 29, 2017, 9:57 pm

The Citi ThankYou portal is the only one I know of. You don't need to use any ThankYou points to make the booking (can just charge full amount to card directly).
Old May 29, 2017, 11:10 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I believe booking flights with MR points calculates by the special fare / distance chart as well.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by gusterific
The Citi ThankYou portal is the only one I know of. You don't need to use any ThankYou points to make the booking (can just charge full amount to card directly).
But remember if you reticket later (like SWU clears) then it reverts back to a normal ticket. And good luck arguing with AAdvantage that it's a special fare (unlike AA Vacations which AA specifically calls out as qualifying).
Old May 31, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks all. I'll try Citi or Amex. Another knee surgery has sidelined me for a good part of this year and requal is going to be a stretch unless I can find a way to reasonably MR. If this works, I can amplify EQD for these itins by almost 4.75x. #gamer #flameaway
Old May 31, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
But remember if you reticket later (like SWU clears) then it reverts back to a normal ticket. And good luck arguing with AAdvantage that it's a special fare (unlike AA Vacations which AA specifically calls out as qualifying).
I have had SWUs clear multiple times and the calc remain a distance based special fare
Old May 31, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
So the optimal strategy to maximize EQD is to compare what distance based would earn by booking via one of these channels vs the pre-tax dollars by booking AA directly? Any other known downsides to booking via one of these channels? Any impacts to change fees, irrops treatment, etc?

Last edited by lightbulbs; May 31, 2017 at 9:51 pm
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
So the optimal strategy to maximize EQD is to compare what distance based would earn by booking via one of these channels vs the pre-tax dollars by booking AA directly? Any other known downsides to booking via one of these channels? Any impacts to change fees, irrops treatment, etc?
I've had agents try to claim incorrectly that fares purchased from Citi are not upgrade eligible, but it's always been fixed easily.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by uscjeff
I have had SWUs clear multiple times and the calc remain a distance based special fare
Interesting. Both SWUs I had clear changed into a fare based calculation after the SWU cleared and the ticket reissued.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Using points (whether Citi, Chase, or Amex) has been known to sometimes result in Special Fares. Same for reticketing, whether due to upgrades, IROPs, or whatever. Neither is guaranteed.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Using points (whether Citi, Chase, or Amex) has been known to sometimes result in Special Fares. Same for reticketing, whether due to upgrades, IROPs, or whatever. Neither is guaranteed.
Right - my take away is if I think it will be better as a special fare book through an OTA - if it ends up fare based thats what it would have been anyways via AA so while disappointing nothing is lost

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.