Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
SWU and converting to fare-based earning

I had a trip booked via AA Vacations earlier this year, to which I applied SWUs. The outbound cleared some time prior to travel, and posted as expected via the "Distance-data unavailable" method. The returns cleared ~2hrs prior to check-in and at check-in (two different pax). A flight cancellation required a call-in and re-routing, and C1 was available at the time, and when checking in at the airport a second became available. In both cases, the process took a substantial amount of time (25-35 min on the phone for the first, ~15 minutes for the second) because, they said, they needed to find the fare to apply to the ticket before they could reissue. It did seem to be a very manual process. So in this case, the EQD and RDM posting still says "Distance-data unavailable", but the RDM and EQD credit is based on the fictitious EQD value that they assigned to the segment, which appeared to be disconnected from anything that could have derived from the original ticket. The outbound SWU upgrade was assigned EQD based on 10% of EQM and RDM based on 50% of EQM, as expected. Same segments, in opposite directions, on same trip with different outcomes.

Based on this, I am guessing that some people are doing it "wrong", whatever that might mean.

EDIT: Wanted to add that my second AAVacations trip, to which no SWUs were applied, has posted all as expected and were marked "Distance-special fare" as opposed to "Distance-data unavailable". Also, for the "Distance-data unavailable" earlier trip, both the outbound and return were affected by IRROPS, possibly what triggered the conversion from special fare to data unavailable, but the outbound, which cleared ahead of time, posted as expected (equivalent to the fare component or EQD assigned as 10% of distance rounded up to nearest dollar) whereas the return posted with some arbitrary value assigned to EQD (clearly not 10% of distance, my impression is they got the number from elsewhere, perhaps an average segment cost or day's segment value).

Last edited by fanger; Nov 28, 2017 at 2:41 pm
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
I recently flew on an AA vacations package and everything posted as distance - special fare (as orignally expected)
However, my return segments were on JL (AA codeshare flights) and I purchased a paid upgrade during my layover in NRT with JAL from econ to PE for my final segment. If I look at my reservation for my AA PNR, it even shows my Class as Premium Economy.
I called AA Customer service and was told the posting was correct and based on the original booking codes (O in my case), yet she confirms I flew W for my last segment.
Were they right? or should I call back and ask for the correct calculation for W class for that last segment?

Last edited by FobbyFlyer; Nov 28, 2017 at 2:24 pm Reason: clarification
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EP
Generally what u pay for on ur ticket is what u get credit for. Plus it is what JL sends through.

Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
I recently flew on an AA vacations package and everything posted as distance - special fare (as orignally expected)
However, my return segments were on JL (AA codeshare flights) and I purchased a paid upgrade during my layover in NRT with JAL from econ to PE for my final segment. If I look at my reservation for my AA PNR, it even shows my Class as Premium Economy.
I called AA Customer service and was told the posting was correct and based on the original booking codes (O in my case), yet she confirms I flew W for my last segment.
Were they right? or should I call back and ask for the correct calculation for W class for that last segment?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
How does the Chase UR portal generally post? Is it as solid as the Citi TY portal is in offering bulk/special fares?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by uscjeff
How does the Chase UR portal generally post? Is it as solid as the Citi TY portal is in offering bulk/special fares?
IME it's pretty solid, but you have to check the fare rules (which Chase actually allows you to see during the booking process). Just control F for "bulk" or "wholesale."
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Anyone have any success with booking through the Chase UR portal and getting a special fare even with no mention of "bulk" or "special" in the fare rules?

Found a good PE fare that I would love to book.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:44 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Can anyone offer advice on how to CHANGE an AAVacations airline ticket? I spent 75 minutes on the phone today with AA Exec Plat agent, AA Vacations agent, and the "Ticketing Department", and it was still unresolved. Surely there's a way to change the ticket (at a cost, of course)? They were completely mystified as to whether it could even be changed.

Details:
  • AA Vacations DSM-ORD-LHR and return for two passengers, booked as AA flight number on BA metal in Premium Economy
  • Outbound remains the same
  • One passenger will fly the inbound as ticketed.
  • The other passenger needs to change the date AND the destination city. The flight we need is LHR-IAH on a different date.
The best they could do was LHR-ORD in coach on AA (not Prem Econ on BA), for a $200 change fee, plus huge fare difference. It's literally cheaper to just abandon the ticket and buy a brand-new one.

They advised me to call back Monday thru Friday, as "we have a skeleton crew on weekends".

So ... advice is welcome ... what's the secret to changing an AAVacations airline ticket? (Preferably in less than 75 minutes)
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:48 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
EQD using Thank You Points (Citibank)

I exceeded $12K EQD before the trip posted below, but for future reference (like travel in 2018), I'm trying to see how my EQD was computed; the itn was booked with Citibank TYP travel
JFK - LAS
Dec 1, 2017 • AA 1263 • Economy (G)
Posted: Dec 2, 2017
Method: Distance - special fare 2,248 1 225 1,124 1,349
Elite : 1,349 2,473

LAS - CLT
Dec 3, 2017 • AA 0507 • Economy (V)
Posted: Dec 5, 2017
Method: Distance - special fare 1,916 1 288 1,437 1,725
Elite : 1,725 3,162

CLT - JFK
Dec 4, 2017 • AA 0338 • Economy (V)
Method: Distance - special fare 541 1 82 406 488
Elite : 488 894
For JFK-LAS 10% of 2248 is 225 (the way it should be)
For the return 228 EQD is 11,9% of 1916 and 82 EQD is 15.2% of 541--why the higher %s?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
For the return 228 EQD is 11,9% of 1916 and 82 EQD is 15.2% of 541--why the higher %s?
Fare code V earns 15% of miles flown as EQD and G only earns 10%

See this site: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp
Old Dec 6, 2017, 8:07 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wolfeman27
Fare code V earns 15% of miles flown as EQD and G only earns 10%

See this site: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp
Then on LAS-CLT in V, I only got 11.9%, shouldn't that also have been 15%? While CLT-JFK at 15.2% was too high.
As I noted in my OP I'm interested in tweaking NEXT years EQD.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nrr
Then on LAS-CLT in V, I only got 11.9%, shouldn't that also have been 15%? While CLT-JFK at 15.2% was too high.
As I noted in my OP I'm interested in tweaking NEXT years EQD.
LAS-CLT is shown there as 1916 mi.
15% of 1916 is 287.4
this was rounded up to 288

CLT-JFK is listed there as 541 mi.
15% is 81.15 which was rounded up to 82

AA only awards integer amounts and awards up to the next whole number

For the remaining flight in G class of distance 2248 mi. , at 10% earning that is 224.8 which awards 225
wolfeman27 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:28 am

Thanks for posting this. Did you actually spend any points on the booking? Or just use the portal?

I guess you're thinking about using the Portal for all your booking going forward?

It would be great to hear from others using Amex Travel portal and Chase Ultimate Rewards... especially with respect to the consistency of "Special Fare"

Originally Posted by nrr
I exceeded $12K EQD before the trip posted below, but for future reference (like travel in 2018), I'm trying to see how my EQD was computed; the itn was booked with Citibank TYP travel
JFK - LAS
Dec 1, 2017 • AA 1263 • Economy (G)
Posted: Dec 2, 2017
Method: Distance - special fare 2,248 1 225 1,124 1,349
Elite : 1,349 2,473

LAS - CLT
Dec 3, 2017 • AA 0507 • Economy (V)
Method: Distance - special fare 1,916 1 288 1,437 1,725
Elite : 1,725 3,162

CLT - JFK
Dec 4, 2017 • AA 0338 • Economy (V)
Method: Distance - special fare 541 1 82 406 488
Elite : 488 894
For JFK-LAS 10% of 2248 is 225 (the way it should be)
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by fanger
I am not certain,but I am under the impression that the asterisks have gone away and then come back for me in some searches. I am thinking Western Europe in April, in some of my searches last month.

Regarding Asia, I can confirm that the asterisks were appearing for me in searches to HKG, PEK, and PVG earlier in the week but not Saturday/Sunday.
Special fares are back this morning... haven't been searching regularly so not sure when they returned.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Anyone have any success with booking through the Chase UR portal and getting a special fare even with no mention of "bulk" or "special" in the fare rules?
No. Just did this and it posted as normal fare. Emailed CR to challenge determination as a special fare on Chase UR portal, but they declined.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:17 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
No. Just did this and it posted as normal fare. Emailed CR to challenge determination as a special fare on Chase UR portal, but they declined.
It’s not determined by portal, it’s determined by fare. Did you actually book a wholesale fare per the UR site fare rules?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.