Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: aa exp, ihg plat amb
Yes, maybe 2 weeks ago I was looking at several flights to PEK or PVG with *.
Now I can't find any. Would it make any difference if I booked a flight + hotel package at Orbitz or Expedia, or does that not always work?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Is it possible to tell if something will book as a special fare via the fare rules? Going to be short EQD for this year, and considering a HKG run via ThankYou portal (a few points used just in case it helps) -- does this indicate that it's a special fare

UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED PROMOTIONAL FARES BETWEEN AREA 1 AND AREA 3 APPLICATION AREA THESE FARES APPLY BETWEEN AREA 1/AREA 3. CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR FIRST/BUSINESS/ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE CAN BE USED TO CREATE ONE-WAY/ROUND-TRIP/CIRCLE-TRIP/OPEN-JAW JOURNEYS. THESE FARES MAY BE USED FOR INDIVIDUAL INCLUSIVE TOURS. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS THE CARRIER SHALL LIMIT THE NUMBER OF PASSENGERS CARRIED ON ANY ONE FLIGHT AT FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE AND SUCH FARES WILL NOT NECESSARILY BE AVAILABLE ON ALL FLIGHTS. THE NUMBER OF SEATS WHICH THE CARRIER SHALL MAKE AVAILABLE ON A GIVEN FLIGHT WILL BE DETERMINED BY THE CARRIERS BEST JUDGMENT RULES NOT APPLICABLE 35 PASSENGER EXPENSES EN ROUTE.
(Full rules:
https://pastebin.com/pxnevhzY
https://pastebin.com/b7ybF9u7 )

I can't figure out how to get full fare rules off of AA.com anymore to see the same fare on a regular ticket to see if that wording appears.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nkedel
Is it possible to tell if something will book as a special fare via the fare rules? Going to be short EQD for this year, and considering a HKG run via ThankYou portal (a few points used just in case it helps) -- does this indicate that it's a special fare
Nope , it doesn't ; it just looks like a regular fare
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Nope , it doesn't ; it just looks like a regular fare
Thanks, back to the drawing board!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
If fares at AA.com are low enough, AAVacations won't book a special fare because there is a lower "true" fare. You'll see that when the package price is greater than purchasing the flight alone on AA.com. At least that's what I've noticed.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aaliz
Yes, maybe 2 weeks ago I was looking at several flights to PEK or PVG with *.
Now I can't find any. Would it make any difference if I booked a flight + hotel package at Orbitz or Expedia, or does that not always work?
SO frustrating!! I constantly found flights maybe over a week ago special fare to Ho Chi Minh for LESS than the cheapest price on AA.com and I went to sleep on it ... since I had found these consistently I assumed it would always be there. Now there are NO special fares to Asia.

(There are still special fares to Australia and Europe but the ticket prices aren't amazing especially combined with the hotel....)
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone booked a regular international fare recently via mixed ThankYou points/cash and gotten mileage-based EQD?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by lifeisart
SO frustrating!! I constantly found flights maybe over a week ago special fare to Ho Chi Minh for LESS than the cheapest price on AA.com and I went to sleep on it ... since I had found these consistently I assumed it would always be there. Now there are NO special fares to Asia.

(There are still special fares to Australia and Europe but the ticket prices aren't amazing especially combined with the hotel....)
I am not certain,but I am under the impression that the asterisks have gone away and then come back for me in some searches. I am thinking Western Europe in April, in some of my searches last month.

Regarding Asia, I can confirm that the asterisks were appearing for me in searches to HKG, PEK, and PVG earlier in the week but not Saturday/Sunday.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Has anyone booked a regular international fare recently via mixed ThankYou points/cash and gotten mileage-based EQD?
Unfortunately I can't answer this, but am interested in the answer to your question as well. Hopefully someone can reply with definitive insight.

Regards
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:24 pm

Yes. Just make sure the fare rules indicate it is a special/wholesale fare (I can't remember the exact terminology). Mix of thank you points and cash doesn't matter.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:36 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I wonder if there's a quick way to find out if AAVacations will give you a good deal for a particular date.

I only know the s-l-o-w method. Put in your travel dates. Click the Advanced Search link. Override the hotel dates. Search. Sort by price.

Then if you want to check other dates, or other classes of service: start over completely!

Does anyone know a faster way to find out which date(s) and class(es) of service are available at a discount on AAVacations.com?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by thekevstir
Yes. Just make sure the fare rules indicate it is a special/wholesale fare (I can't remember the exact terminology). Mix of thank you points and cash doesn't matter.
That seems easier said than done. I've tried pricing a few itineraries on Chase sight and couldn't find any fares at all that explicitly stated they were wholesale fares.

Regards
Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thekevstir
Got it. I'll dig a bit more, thanks! I may not be able to beat the real EQD/actual dollars ratio of just getting things over with on one CX Premium Economy run, if I decide EXP is worth it (which seems a pity not to, since I'm already at ~110k EQM)
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:48 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've already booked an AA Vacation package to Europe. On AA.COM, in the fare area it has under COST SUMMARY: "contact your travel agent for airfare or trip changes", NO $ amts are listed; I'm assuming that the EQD will be mileage based.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
I've already booked an AA Vacation package to Europe. On AA.COM, in the fare area it has under COST SUMMARY: "contact your travel agent for airfare or trip changes", NO $ amts are listed; I'm assuming that the EQD will be mileage based.
On the aavacations.com site there is a "Your Trips" tab you use to look up the trip. You need your AA reservation/booking number (different from the AA record locator) -- you might be able to call AA Vacations and have them look it up if you don't have it. With the reservation number you will be able to see you trip details, including whether your flights have a * next to the booking code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.