Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 7:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I might call AAvacations to get their take on it since they appear to have sent it you you as Special. Just to confirm, it was P* (as opposed to *P), correct, because that's how they show. They may be able to shed some light on this.

Cheers.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dls25
I have an interesting case. I booked a *P AAVacations package to South America. Took the flights and they posted as fare based. Contacted AAdvantage and they refused to fix the mileage because it was never a special fare in their system. I sent them screenshots and the AAVacations confirmation with the *P next to booking code and 3x they have been like "tough luck". Any advice?
Who are you talking with to get this corrected? You need to call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number, not the email contact AA customer relations on aa.com).
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by brp
I might call AAvacations to get their take on it since they appear to have sent it you you as Special. Just to confirm, it was P* (as opposed to *P), correct, because that's how they show. They may be able to shed some light on this.

Cheers.
Yes, it was a P*. My next cal is to AAVacations. Thx
Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Who are you talking with to get this corrected? You need to call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number, not the email contact AA customer relations on aa.com).
It is AAdvantage CS. I have emailed them 3x and called yesterday. The gentleman I spoke with on the phone yesterday understood what I was talking about but the group that does the reviews disagreed with him and there was nothing else he could do.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dls25
It is AAdvantage CS. I have emailed them 3x and called yesterday. The gentleman I spoke with on the phone yesterday understood what I was talking about but the group that does the reviews disagreed with him and there was nothing else he could do.
When they respond back via email, just reply that their conclusions are incorrect based in what is posted at aa.com (include the special fare link), and ask that they correctly credit your flights based on the special fare table. Keep responding back with that until they fix it. I had to do that 3 or 4 times before they fixed it when I had the same issue happen 2 years ago.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EP
If you book (or make changes) with an agent the * does not show on confirmations.

Originally Posted by andrewp
I have a slightly odd case here and wanted to see if anyone has any advice.

Today I booked a P* round trip via AAV and received the confirmation email stating that it was indeed fare class P*. About an hour later I realized that I made an error when booking and selected the incorrect return flight (booked a BA codeshare by mistake). I called AAV and they were able to make the change to the correct AA flight at no cost. When I received the updated confirmation the fare was showing P (no star).

On the AA site there is absolutely no pricing information shown on the itinerary page. Not even the "Please check with your travel agent..." line.

I understand that this is a common occurrence with changes to AAV tickets, but I'm wondering what I should do.
  • Is this just an issue with AA's state-of-the-art IT system dropping the special fare designation after a change and, if so, would the EXP desk or AAV be able to confirm the actual fare status?
  • Is it worth trying to call to see if they can get the system to recognize it as a special fare or just deal with it after posting if there is a problem? My original confirmation shows P* and I'm concerned that won't be enough since one of the flights was changed.
Finally, I'm still within the 24hour cancellation window so I could cancel the booking and repurchase. The problem is that one flight was at P1 when I booked and although my cancellation will release a seat I'm a bit concerned that it will either get snatched up before I rebook or AA will decide not to return it to inventory since it's the only P inventory available on that route for weeks.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: aadvantage, mileage plus, millemiglia
Hoping to change an AA ticketed, BA operated Orbitz package deal.

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question. I purchased an Orbitz flight+hotel package, ORD-FCO in J. Flights were sold with AA numbers, but operated by BA. It wasn't exactly a great deal compared to other trips, but I payed quite a bit less than I would have for the flight alone. Due to a family emergency, I have to cut the trip short and return home two days early. I called Orbitz to see if I could move my flight up by two days. Naturally, they quoted me a ridiculous price, about three times what aa.com was showing to buy a whole new ticket. Luckily, I was able to find a Saver award home on Lufthansa (lots of *A J saver availability EU-USA this week, btw) So, now I have an extra J ticket FCO-ORD that I' m hoping won't just go to waste. I called Orbitz back and tried to move the date a month or so into the future (I wouldn't mind making a second trip). I chose a day when fares were pretty low. No deal, again they wanted an insane amount (I think the guy said $6,000). The problem is that, given that it takes about 20 minutes on hold to get a quote, I can't just keep picking new dates to try. Any ideas on trying to preserve any value in this return ticket? If it's hopeless, I understand, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask the experts. Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
Is AA Vacations no longer subject to special fares? I was attempting to book flights in July and the fare class showed up as I rather than I*. I've used AA Vacations several times in the past due to the higher earnings with the special fare classification. It seems that now that is no longer the case, so there's no advantage to using AA Vacations.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thorofare
Is AA Vacations no longer subject to special fares? I was attempting to book flights in July and the fare class showed up as I rather than I*. I've used AA Vacations several times in the past due to the higher earnings with the special fare classification. It seems that now that is no longer the case, so there's no advantage to using AA Vacations.
It hasn't really ever been an always thing. This is a case where you can search and you may find a * to indicate a special fare but not all fares qualify.
Old Jun 21, 2020, 7:25 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Whodunit68
It hasn't really ever been an always thing. This is a case where you can search and you may find a * to indicate a special fare but not all fares qualify.
Exactly. I just booked a couple of fares last week and they had *. What route are you looking for thorofare ?

Cheers.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 2:09 am

For Travelocity vacation package (air + hotel), how likely is it will be posted under special fare/bulk fare?
Old Oct 31, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anchor79
For Travelocity vacation package (air + hotel), how likely is it will be posted under special fare/bulk fare?
Well, if you purchase a Special Fare, then it most likely will post as a Special Fare.

Most all of the major OTA's (Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.) will tell you if the flights you selected are Special Fares. Look on the summary page after you select your flights.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Well, if you purchase a Special Fare, then it most likely will post as a Special Fare.

Most all of the major OTA's (Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.) will tell you if the flights you selected are Special Fares. Look on the summary page after you select your flights.

like this? I am a bit concerned if this is indeed the "special fare" that will post as distance based or not!
Old Oct 31, 2020, 3:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One way to confirm this is to buy the fare (you have 24 hours to cancel) and then call AAdvanatega Customer Service. They can confirm how it shows to them. I did this recently with an AAvacations package. hen I priced it, it had shown the asterisk for Special Fare. But I had to work with an agent on this one. As often happens in this case, the recoed email came without the asterisk. i called to confirm Special Fare status and she contacted AAdvantage Customer Service who not only confirmed this, but told her how much of everything I'd earn, including EQD based on distance.

Cheers.
anchor79 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by brp
One way to confirm this is to buy the fare (you have 24 hours to cancel) and then call AAdvanatega Customer Service. They can confirm how it shows to them. I did this recently with an AAvacations package. hen I priced it, it had shown the asterisk for Special Fare. But I had to work with an agent on this one. As often happens in this case, the recoed email came without the asterisk. i called to confirm Special Fare status and she contacted AAdvantage Customer Service who not only confirmed this, but told her how much of everything I'd earn, including EQD based on distance.

Cheers.
That is awesome your agent would do that for you! I was able to price something cheaper via AAV so I cancelled travelocity and rebook with AAV direct. Got my confirmation and the * was there after all flight segments via email. Hopefully that will be good enough if they screw it up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.