Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I sometimes booked AA ticket in some Chinese OTA website, eg. Alitrip, Ctrip (have English version), but not always got a special fare. It really depends on the specific agent they directed me to. So my experience is to talk with that specific agent about the origin of the ticket they issued, though I am not sure if they know about "special fare"...
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:51 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DWFI
Interesting. Both SWUs I had clear changed into a fare based calculation after the SWU cleared and the ticket reissued.
We even had an AA Vacations package that used SWUs convert to fare-based, so it is certainly common enough. In this case, because it is documented, it was easy to get it fixed. But I agree with others that the non-documented channels are a crap shoot.

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
One note - I believe flights booked through Citi portal will disqualify for BusinessExtra
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: american, starwood, united
Citi Portal - and miscrediting special fare EQD (to merge)

Is anyone having issues with getting the special fares credit on flights booked through the portal? I went in may and got the credit that way, but went in June to Sweden but didn't have it credited that way which gave me markedly less eqd's than I was expecting.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

We have retitled your thread title, as our Rules require specific and clear titles. This makes it easier for members to decide to read and assist. In the meantime, you may wish to read the thread (and the Wikipost at the top of the page summarizing key information) in HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners 2017 (link), where we will ultimately merge this query.

We're glad you're here. Be sure to check the "sticky" threads and many useful threads on a variety of AA-related topics.

/Moderator
Old Jul 2, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by frozentundra24
Is anyone having issues with getting the special fares credit on flights booked through the portal? I went in may and got the credit that way, but went in June to Sweden but didn't have it credited that way which gave me markedly less eqd's than I was expecting.
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Can you specify what "Special Fares Credit" you are referring to? Did you book using TYPs or $?

I suspect that you were expecting your EQD earnings to be based on AA's "Special Fares" table. In which case, you should have no such expectation. As you can see in the thread this will be merged into, sometimes paying with TYPs results in the use of the Special Fares table and sometimes it does not. No-one guarantees that it will, so unfortunately you have no grounds to complain to AA (or Citi).
Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat
Miles + CoPay upgrade eligibility on Chase Portal special fare?

Searched a few threads and couldn't find an answer, apologies if this is a repeat.

I am looking at booking two seats on the Chase portal that show they would book into an N fare code on AA. AA's upgrade information states that N is an eligible class for upgrades. Is there anything related to a portal ticket being considered a "special fare" that would prevent it being treated like a normal cash ticket for the purposes of UDU or miles + copay upgrades?
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
No. I have successfully used SWUs on my AA flights redeemed through Citi's TY portal.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've used miles and copay to upgrade to first on an LAX-JFK business seat that I bought through Chase.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
It is eligible, but you might want to check expertflyer for availability. Mileage + copay upgrades have become a scarce resource in 2017.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
One note - I believe flights booked through Citi portal will disqualify for BusinessExtra
They still qualify. You have to call to add your BusinessExtra on to your reservation or request the credits after the fact.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:48 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Citibank TYP (Thank You Points) and EQD Ques.

In several spots on FT TYP bookings could be either mileage based or fare based; I have one such future booking, on AA.COM that booking shows NO pricing info: "see your TA..." for further details. Does that mean that it will post as a "special fare"?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
EQD will be distance-based and the multiplier (starting at 10%) will depend on the fare class:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

So far, every single TYP booking I've made in the past year has shown up as a special fare.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
In several spots on FT TYP bookings could be either mileage based or fare based; I have one such future booking, on AA.COM that booking shows NO pricing info: "see your TA..." for further details. Does that mean that it will post as a "special fare"?
Originally Posted by phazedowt
EQD will be distance-based and the multiplier (starting at 10%) will depend on the fare class:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp

So far, every single TYP booking I've made in the past year has shown up as a special fare.
Short answer: I would expect the use of the first set of Special Fares tables, but I'm not yet convinced it's a 100% thing.

The Special Fares page does not specifically say that purchases made with TYPs will result in their use. However, I have reported on the EQD thread that an AAgent told me that that was (now?) the policy -- for what that's worth. And, indeed, like phazedowt my two TYP bookings have used it.

They were both domestic though, and I wonder whether domestic vs international made the difference in the earlier reports you noted. Also, note that some of those examples also involved re-ticketing, which is known to often cause Special Fares.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Do you need to buy the tickets completely with TYP/UR? Or can you buy the ticket with a few TYP/UR and the rest cash and still get it to count as a special fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.