Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 8, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: thorofare
American Airlines "Special Fares" and EQD Earning

Link to aa.com Special fares: Earning Award Miles and Elite Qualifying Credits

"Special Fares" include some fares sold by other than AA, such as those sold in conjunction with a travel lodging package by AA Vacations, and those purchased with credit card points, such as Thank You Points and Membership Rewards points.

Like oneworld partner (and Alaska Airlines through 31 Dec 2017) fares, these earn Elite Qualifying Dollars based on a percentage of base miles / miles flown / flight distance and the fare class purchased.

Flights booked using Thank You Points, Membership Rewards, etc. where the cardholder is essentially buying your ticket most often are special fares as well.

NOTE: EQD credit varies for "Special Fares" (e.g. AA Vacations), and the chart for those changed on 1 Jan 2019. See here.
Print Wikipost

AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- AA vacations I* would be special fare, i.e., 20% EQD.
I never had AA vacations fares credits as "fare not available".
Originally Posted by 777lover
20%
Thank you very much. Not what I was hoping to hear, but... FT never ceases to impress!
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- AA vacations I* would be special fare, i.e., 20% EQD.
I never had AA vacations fares credits as "fare not available".
Strange thing is, I checked my receipt from AAV and it definitely does not break out the fare, it only has a total package price for air + hotel.

So it would seem that the "Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable" section should apply. Or at least a case could possibly be made.... no?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Strange thing is, I checked my receipt from AAV and it definitely does not break out the fare, it only has a total package price for air + hotel.

So it would seem that the "Earning when ticket/fare details are unavailable" section should apply. Or at least a case could possibly be made.... no?
No, when looking at the special fares earning page at aa.com, vacation packages including AA Vacations are clearly listed as earning per the top chart if there is an asterisk by the fare. The receipts from AAV always show the total package price without a fare breakout. Just because AAV doesn't display a fare breakout to the customer doesn't mean AA couldn't tell you exactly what the airfare/hotel breakout was if it really wanted to.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 7:48 am

No. It’s stated on .com that vacations earns per the first chart.

Originally Posted by spongenotbob

Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
Has anyone booking via aavacations in the last month or so seen Premium Economy fares with the *?

Have been playing around with a few itineraries for September and haven't seen any pop up for P, although the same flights in Economy (various fares) do show the asterisk. This is mostly on LAX to Asia.

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by jlin011
Has anyone booking via aavacations in the last month or so seen Premium Economy fares with the *?

Have been playing around with a few itineraries for September and haven't seen any pop up for P, although the same flights in Economy (various fares) do show the asterisk. This is mostly on LAX to Asia.

Thanks!
I noticed that too. I couldn't find anything on AA Vacations so pooled my P fare on Citi TYP with 1 point spent -- unfortunately that didn't work either and it posted as type "Fare". Anyone had success with getting P fares to post as special?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:12 pm

How to calculate EQMs and EQDs w/ special fares?

Hi,

I hear that flying business class with "AA vacations" and every seat is asterisk (*) is a quicker way to getting EQD and EQM's?

I can't figure out how to calculate how many EQM's and EQD i'll get for the following flight? If EQM's are determined by miles flown, then would I get even more EQMs and EQD's for the same price$ but has more stops hence more distance flown under BusinessClass booking through "AAvacations". Lets say this ticket costs 1500$ (includes hotel) - how do I determine how many EQD's i get since I have to bundle hotel and flight?

Had I booked this through the regular AA website the cost would be $1300-$1900. So normally you'd make like 1000 EQD for a 1300$ price take.

SEA to Arkansas
American Airlines Flight
Boeing 737-800 Passenger, Economy Class Q*
Duration4h 7m 1753 mi (2821 km)
Layover: 3h 23m - Dallas Fort Worth Intl (DFW)

American Airlines Flight
*Operated By ENVOY AIR AS AMERICAN EAGLE
Embraer ERJ-140 Regional Jet, Economy Class Q*
Duration1h 6m 227 mi (365 km)

Arkansas To SEA
American Airlines Flight
*Operated By MESA AIRLINES AS AMERICAN EAGLE
Canadair Regional Jet 900, Economy Class V*
Duration1h 12m 227 mi (365 km)
Layover: 1h 10m - Dallas Fort Worth Intl (DFW)

American Airlines Flight
Boeing 737-800 Passenger, Economy Class V*
Duration4h 23m 1753 mi (2821 km)
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp
Old Jun 14, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
The sweet spot for special fares is long distance - low cost. Your EQMs will calculate the same either way, and your EQD will come out as a percentage of mileage flown. In the above itinerary, you would really hurt yourself booking this via AA Vacations if you were trying to work towards qualification as the economy fare would get you 10% of miles flown as your EQD regardlass of what you spend.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We have merged your query into the existing master thread both to avoid information fragmentation and allow members searching topic to find information more easily. For the best practices in using Search, please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ve-thread.html.

Please read the Wikipost for some information and link.

/Moderator
Old Jun 15, 2018, 1:08 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've never booked a package before, but I might soon. I was looking for a particular trip but the flights I wanted didn't come up. They show on a normal flight search, but not in "Vacations." Is that to be expected? Also is there a way to book first class in one direction and coach in the other?

If I understand correctly, I would get EQM's as usual (i.e. actual miles flown x class of service bonus, if any). It looks like award miles are the actual miles flown (not related to either class of service or price paid) and EQD's are 15-30% times miles flown depending on booking class?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtop43
I've never booked a package before, but I might soon. I was looking for a particular trip but the flights I wanted didn't come up. They show on a normal flight search, but not in "Vacations." Is that to be expected? Also is there a way to book first class in one direction and coach in the other?

If I understand correctly, I would get EQM's as usual (i.e. actual miles flown x class of service bonus, if any). It looks like award miles are the actual miles flown (not related to either class of service or price paid) and EQD's are 15-30% times miles flown depending on booking class?
AA Vacations typically shows most "normal" flight options but if you're not seeing an option you want you may have to call. There's no way to book first in one direction and coach in the other online. I'm not sure if you could get this by calling, worth a call if that's what you're looking for.

For the miles you earn, it depends entirely on if the package is sold with a special fare, as denoted by an asterisk (*) after the fare, i.e "O*". If you book a special fare, then mileage earning and EQD is by distance according to the special fare chart at the link below.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...cial-fares.jsp
Old Jun 15, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I recently took a vacation to Barcelona. All of my flights were supposed to post as special fares booked in O*, I did a load factor upgrade on my outbound and a mileage upgrade on my return, I also missed my connection on the return and was rebooked for the connecting flight in I instead of C.

The outbound with the load factor upgrade posted as special fares, but the return posed as a regular fare, with the reticketed connection not having posted at all yet.

I'm planning to call in an hour and 15 minutes when advantage customer service opens, to try to get them to give me a special fare for the BCN -> ORD, but I'm hoping that I can keep I class when the ORD -> LGA posts.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
I recently took a vacation to Barcelona. All of my flights were supposed to post as special fares booked in O*, I did a load factor upgrade on my outbound and a mileage upgrade on my return, I also missed my connection on the return and was rebooked for the connecting flight in I instead of C.

The outbound with the load factor upgrade posted as special fares, but the return posed as a regular fare, with the reticketed connection not having posted at all yet.

I'm planning to call in an hour and 15 minutes when advantage customer service opens, to try to get them to give me a special fare for the BCN -> ORD, but I'm hoping that I can keep I class when the ORD -> LGA posts.
How long ago was the return? If just a few days, I would wait for the ORD-LGA to post before calling, as you may need to have that adjusted as well.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
How long ago was the return? If just a few days, I would wait for the ORD-LGA to post before calling, as you may need to have that adjusted as well.
I'm intentionally calling now, because I want to keep my I class on ORD-LGA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.