Held Reservation Canceled

Old Dec 30, 16, 11:46 am
  #31  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,592
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Fairly often, including three times in the last few weeks because I've snaffled the last seats in the booking class. I don't think that's what you were looking for though!
Not what I asked though - has the fare itself expired
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Dec 30, 16, 12:59 pm
  #32  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LAX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 163
I talked with Web Services, and they confirmed the IP Address as mine. I also validated the time with my browser history. They reiterated that this wasn't automatically canceled by their system.

As I talked with them through the clicks I made, I remembered there was an issue with the reservation. When I checked my list of trips, this itinerary wasn't showing up. I found this odd since every other time I've held a reservation in the past (along with a dummy reservation I made yesterday), it shows up in My Trips with status of "Held through xx/xx/xx".

At that point, I used the Find Reservation link with my record locator. It found my itinerary and then it showed up in My Trips with status of Held. Since I thought it was fixed, I didn't think twice and proceeded to check a different record. There is no way I cancelled this as it would have prompted me to confirm my selection in the second screen. Clearly something got screwed up in their system at this point, so I recommeded they report this internally. I work in IT, and it seems lIke I stumbled across a bug.

Since the fare no longer exists, they said there is nothing they can do right now. I already found a different fare on AS out of Burbank around the same price that works better for me, so I'm not pursuing this any further with AA.

Thanks for all your help!
dciolli is offline  
Old Dec 30, 16, 5:37 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: los angeles, calif.
Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Posts: 7,139
This happened to me once. AA can absolutely honor the fare, as they did with me. It wa a pretty painless process, agent was able to do it in about 10 minutes.
MAH4546 is offline  
Old Dec 31, 16, 4:03 am
  #34  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 13,627
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Not what I asked though - has the fare itself expired
As recently as May (after the April change to offer 24 hour refunds) I put a 7-day advance fare on hold exactly 7 days out, and I had no issues ticketing it the next day, even though that made the purchase 6 days in advance.
swag is offline  
Old Dec 31, 16, 4:51 am
  #35  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,592
Originally Posted by swag View Post
As recently as May (after the April change to offer 24 hour refunds) I put a 7-day advance fare on hold exactly 7 days out, and I had no issues ticketing it the next day, even though that made the purchase 6 days in advance.
that is still not the same as the fare no longer being offered. If it was just the AP issue to get approved, I would have thoght that the issue could be resolved

I am referring to the situation where a fare is no longer offered for sale , not just where not meeting the criteria for purchase of a listed fare
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Dec 31, 16, 8:42 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Olde Dominion
Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Posts: 931
This might be immaterial (no pun intended!), but saying a fare no longer exists seems silly to me. A fare is not a physical object. It's not like a sweater, where if the retailer sells them all, there really are no more to be had.

A carrier can charge whatever it wants, whenever it wants. Someone in the company has the authority/ability to sell a seat at a price that is no longer on public offer - even if that someone ends up being the president. This all seems somewhat ridiculous.
Kamalaasaa is offline  
Old Dec 31, 16, 9:25 pm
  #37  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 19,618
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa View Post
This might be immaterial (no pun intended!), but saying a fare no longer exists seems silly to me. A fare is not a physical object. It's not like a sweater, where if the retailer sells them all, there really are no more to be had.

A carrier can charge whatever it wants, whenever it wants. Someone in the company has the authority/ability to sell a seat at a price that is no longer on public offer - even if that someone ends up being the president. This all seems somewhat ridiculous.
Fares are filed, they are a thing. They are a set of rules and restrictions. When no longer being offered, they no longer exist. Just because they might offer it again to a passenger doesn't change the fact it no longer exists.
flyerCO is online now  
Old Jan 1, 17, 12:06 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madison WI
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
I am referring to the situation where a fare is no longer offered for sale , not just where not meeting the criteria for purchase of a listed fare
Is this an example of what you mean:

9/15/2016: MSN-SYD
9/19/2016: SYD-MSN
8/19/2016: Date reservation held
8/20/2016: Date reservation ticketed -although fare had been "pulled"
Fare Basis: OLX4QT1

This fare will show on EF (even today) using the flight dates about and the 8/19 ticketing date. A 8/20 ticketing date and it does not show up. Since I booked this flight, I can be quite certain that I booked this on 8/19 and ticketed on 8/20 because both AA.COM and EF showed the fare had been pulled - no longer offered for sale - not just outside the criteria. Yet the 24-hour hold was in fact honored. BY AA.COM. No human needed. (If this is in fact an example of what you mean?)
Madison Guy is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 12:09 pm
  #39  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,592
Originally Posted by Madison Guy View Post
Is this an example of what you mean:

9/15/2016: MSN-SYD
9/19/2016: SYD-MSN
8/19/2016: Date reservation held
8/20/2016: Date reservation ticketed -although fare had been "pulled"
Fare Basis: OLX4QT1

This fare will show on EF (even today) using the flight dates about and the 8/19 ticketing date. A 8/20 ticketing date and it does not show up. Since I booked this flight, I can be quite certain that I booked this on 8/19 and ticketed on 8/20 because both AA.COM and EF showed the fare had been pulled - no longer offered for sale - not just outside the criteria. Yet the 24-hour hold was in fact honored. BY AA.COM. No human needed. (If this is in fact an example of what you mean?)
Yes - did you do it on the 20/8 within 24 hours of placing the hoid - where DOT requires fares to be held or > 24 hours as the poster tried to do?
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jan 1, 17, 12:15 pm
  #40  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It is not often that fares happen to expire on day of placing a hold. How often have you been making bookings where the fare itself is no longer is valid to purchase on the day following the placement of the hold?
...
Yes, more frequent than you might guess. I've had fares "expire" while in the process of booking! If you don't get past the payment step before the fare dies, you lose. This is a case of spending all night trying to work out a trip with airlines, hotels, and trains, you're ready to lose your mind. I don't bother reading the fare rules to find out if I'm playing with a ticking time bomb, and guess what, once it's expired the rules are gone!
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 8:14 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,549
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Yes - did you do it on the 20/8 within 24 hours of placing the hoid - where DOT requires fares to be held or > 24 hours as the poster tried to do?
The theory that you are trying to articulate--that AA only holds inventory and not the fare, is just not how it actually works. You've offered no evidence that it does: no language offered by AA in its rules, not a single reference to a single FTer who was ever told by AA that this is how it works, not a blog post by someone who talked to AA, nothing. This is random speculation on your part not matched by anyone's actual experience. If this was actually how it worked, it would certainly happen to people from time to time and there would be actual discussion of it here; rather than expecting people to prove the negative, you should be bringing some degree of proof that it works the way you describe.

Also note that AA uses the exact same language to talk about paid holds as they do for the free ones. Is your theory that if you pay them money to hold your reservation that they withdraw the fare in the meantime that they're just going to tell you "oh, too bad, you were only holding the inventory because the DOT doesn't require that we do anything but guarantee a fare for 24 hours?"
jordyn is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 8:54 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: EWR
Programs: Alaska, Marriott
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by dciolli View Post
I put a flight on hold last night (expires 11:59pm tonight) that I just tried to purchase. AA.com says the reservation was canceled, which I never did. I've canceled many flights before and it takes quite a few clicks, so I couldn't have clicked it by mistake.

I just got off the phone with the EXP Desk and Web Services, and they said nothing can be done now that the fare is no longer offered. They are adamant that I canceled it online. I've HUCA a few times to no avail.

Any thoughts?
A remote possibility is different time zones, but that's only applicable if you tried to purchase when in a different time zone from the flight departure city.
Once I forgot to purchase a held fare by 11:59ET but found out that it's actually held until 11:59PT because it originates from the west coast.
usuario is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 9:32 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madison WI
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Yes - did you do it on the 20/8 within 24 hours of placing the hoid - where DOT requires fares to be held or > 24 hours as the poster tried to do?
Yes, I did. I see your point. But I was under the assumption the OP returned to ticket under the same scenario - just found it had been canceled. I though your point was that once no longer available for purchase, any form of purchase was no longer possible. Perhaps I misunderstood one or more points.

EDIT: The actual purchase happened well after 24 hours, but before the 12 midnight CDT mark where the res auto-cancels. I just looked up the timestamps of the email and it was early afternoon on the 19th when I held it - near midnight on the 20th when I got email conf of ticketing, and I know I waited only about 15 minutes after purchase before ticketing. (In fact that's the normal amount of time for all my ticket purchases to process - longer and something is usually wrong. I know reports of others waiting much longer, but...)

Last edited by Madison Guy; Jan 2, 17 at 10:39 am
Madison Guy is offline  
Old Jan 2, 17, 10:41 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madison WI
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hertz Gold
Posts: 1,960
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
A remote possibility is different time zones, but that's only applicable if you tried to purchase when in a different time zone from the flight departure city.
Once I forgot to purchase a held fare by 11:59ET but found out that it's actually held until 11:59PT because it originates from the west coast.
Yes, and this can cause a headache on the 5-day award hold returning from OZ (being a day ahead) ticketing in the States!
Madison Guy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: