Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Year End Mileage Runs on AA: How many did you fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Year End Mileage Runs on AA: How many did you fly?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Dec, 2015 I Flew 21 Days Straight About 40 Segmetns

In Dec 2015 I was trying to requalify for Exec Plat on segments so I flew for 21 days straight to get about 30-40 segments.

A typical run was after work:
BOS/LGA 6:00pm
LGA/BOS 8:00pm
Home by 9:40pm. if not sooner.

The run was less taxing and exhausting than I thought it would be.

I've always focused on the segments rather than long flights, and I felt this would minimize time out of work etc. since again I could literally do it after work and be in my bed by 10:00pm. BOS is about a 10-15 min drive from my house or work.

I'd also be concerned with long mileage runs about jetlag and fatigue from that much flying.

The LGA flights were great because also they often fly at a lower altitude and your ears don't get blocked.

I would just have a few drinks on the flights and I had WiFi.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jetsetter
In Dec 2015 I was trying to requalify for Exec Plat on segments so I flew for 21 days straight to get about 30-40 segments.

A typical run was after work:
BOS/LGA 6:00pm
LGA/BOS 8:00pm
Home by 9:40pm. if not sooner.

The run was less taxing and exhausting than I thought it would be.

I've always focused on the segments rather than long flights, and I felt this would minimize time out of work etc. since again I could literally do it after work and be in my bed by 10:00pm. BOS is about a 10-15 min drive from my house or work.

I'd also be concerned with long mileage runs about jetlag and fatigue from that much flying.

The LGA flights were great because also they often fly at a lower altitude and your ears don't get blocked.

I would just have a few drinks on the flights and I had WiFi.
I'd suggest there was a lot of taxiing involved

On a separate note, wow! I always prefer to do a day long, max mileage trip for EQMs rather than segments. Kudos to you (I think)!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I did a PTY MR mid-year, but turns out I didn't need it. I'll end the year at 208K EQMs. The PTY did put me over the next SWU bonus, but there's no way I'll use 8 SWUs next year.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yngdiego
I did a PTY MR mid-year, but turns out I didn't need it. I'll end the year at 208K EQMs. The PTY did put me over the next SWU bonus, but there's no way I'll use 8 SWUs next year.
Your friends on FT can help you with your SWU burden.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
MRs are now a thing of the past for me. Only 45k short of Lifetime Plat, but still have thrown the towel in and did not bother.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I did two:

IAD-CLT-SEA-CLT-IAD (the return got rebooked into full F due to some potential IRROPS where I got moved from the flights then back on &#128077
DCA-DFW-DCA (was supposed to be something longer but I changed it after the above)

Both in P.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
By June I knew I would be comfortably Plat on both segments and miles, and nowhere near EXP. Ended with 70/59k.

All I did this year was the $82 DFW-LAX-DFW run on the new 789, just to ride it before my upcoming DFW-MAD on the same equipment. Good for 2470 EQMs and 368 RDMs.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:22 pm

one LAX MIA PTY round trip mix of first and business class to get to 200K EQMs and pick up a couple more SWUs.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Did DCA-ORD (in Y) then ORD-DCA (in F) one sunday morning this month for 1600 miles for $290. Back in time for the late service.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG PE
Originally Posted by ACA321
None...I made EXP in June already.
I made EXP in June this year too, what a PIA. Not sure if I'll make it in '17 for '18 though.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 12:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG PE
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
None for me. I requalified for EXP in early November and moved all my flying for the rest of the year to Delta and made Gold Medallion with them
I'm curious, why wouldn't you take advantage of EXP in '17 and move your flying to Delta in '18? The EXP status has value next year and you would only be delaying the 'greener grass'. Not sure why you'd sluff off the work you did this year to gain EXP. That said, if you're DFW based, I don't need any more competition.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
It's probably a bit early in the year to contemplate a MR, but apart from a trip over to the UK for the holidays at the end of the year, I have no other flights planned. When that outbound leg posts, I'll be about about 5500 EQM miles short of Plat. Any suggestions as to the best and cheapest way to achieve this?

So far, the best I've found is a 5900+EQM ROUTING of SAN-CLT-JKF-MIA-SAN out on a redeye and come back the next day after a few hours turn around at JFK for $350, or a SAN-MIA-JFK-CLT-SAN also out on a redeye with the return a few hours later for $380 for mid Nov. Doing CLT first rather than MIA means a later arrival in SAN on the return, but provides ample time for a refreshing shower that morning at the AC at JFK. Doing MIA first rather than CLT leaves no time for a shower, but does get back to SAN a few hours earlier and the flight to JFK is on a 767, so there is the possibility of grabbing a few hrs sleep if the 500 mile sticker upgrade fairy were to put in an appearance.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:39 pm

In years past as an EXP on miles only over and above PHX-DFW-NRT-HKG or better yet PHX-DFW-NRT-HKG-NRT-ORD-LAX-DFW-PHX (work related) I would try to make as many PHX-ORD-FRA rt's / PHX-DFW-HNL / PHX-ORD-CDG. Work for myself and did it on my schedule.

Now I wont go near a plane if I can at all avoid it.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
It's probably a bit early in the year to contemplate a MR, but apart from a trip over to the UK for the holidays at the end of the year, I have no other flights planned. When that outbound leg posts, I'll be about about 5500 EQM miles short of Plat. Any suggestions as to the best and cheapest way to achieve this?
Does this mean that you have already achieved the $6000 EQD required for Platinum?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by laagima
Does this mean that you have already achieved the $6000 EQD required for Platinum?
First flight of the year was the return leg of last years UK trip over the holidays and the last flight this year over the this upcoming holiday period was/are both in F on BA metal on AA 001 stock, so meeting the $6K spend was the easy part here. In fact, my wife has already exceeded the EXP spend requirement for this year, but is still currently at Plat based on EQM. She will make PPRO with the BA F flight even though she barely made it into double figures on EQS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.