Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award ticket Downgraded from First Class, AA refuses to make seat available (to merge

Award ticket Downgraded from First Class, AA refuses to make seat available (to merge

Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
So because of an aircraft change you're expecting AA to open up phantom F seats on other airlines to accommodate you? Your aircraft probably changed from a 777 to a 772 which is the older 3-class 777 to the newer 2-class 772 (which is an upgrade in most aspects).

Not sure what AA is supposed to "fix." Do you want them to swap the old aircraft back so you can have first class again?
you might try reading the OPs responses before posting a snarky and unhelpful post. OP clearly stated they are on AA metal and were trying to route via HKG on the LAX or DFW flights, both of which have F still.

OP, my guess is that they might be hard on this because the new F cabins are much smaller and if the accomidated everyone displaced from F on the other flights they'd fill the entire cabin twice over with awards. I'd try the huca a couple times, with the exact flights and routing you'd like handy and suggest rather than ask that they place you on that to fix the problem.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by ryan182
you might try reading the OPs responses before posting a snarky and unhelpful post. OP clearly stated they are on AA metal and were trying to route via HKG on the LAX or DFW flights, both of which have F still.

OP, my guess is that they might be hard on this because the new F cabins are much smaller and if the accomidated everyone displaced from F on the other flights they'd fill the entire cabin twice over with awards. I'd try the huca a couple times, with the exact flights and routing you'd like handy and suggest rather than ask that they place you on that to fix the problem.
Thank you Ryan182. I appreciate providing the lady or gentleman an explanation (I usually find it isn't very useful to respond to people that are acting like that.)

Just to update everyone, A supervisor was going to open space on the dfw-hkg flight for us, but then 2 seats became available on the CX flight from Chicago, so we grabbed that and now are booked together all the way with ord-hkg in Cathay First!!

Very happy, and very lucky to get a couple of great telephone agents to make this happen. It will be a nice (probably last) award trip on a premium F product to Asia!
Old Dec 23, 2016, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Congratulations! And thanks for the update.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the update. How far in advance was this re-booking, such that you were able to get 2 CX F seats on ORD-HKG?
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
It was 10 days in advance in this case.

Also wanted to thank sfo777 for some really helpful advice on this ticket, including first noticing that CX had opened up 2 award seats on the same flight on our original date of travel!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.