Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

“Grace” (exception) if close to but missing Status EQM, EQS or EQD.

Old Dec 23, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"Grace" for Elite Status if short EQM, EQS (or EQD) any more. (status exception)

NO Exception Policy for Elite Status ("Grace") (as if 2014)

Dear ... (enviroian)

It's our pleasure to assist our valued AAdvantage Platinum® members.
Thanks for contacting us here at AAdvantage® Customer Service.

At this time we are not making any elite exceptions for the 2017
membership year, we do encourage you to continue flying to earn the
status. If you still fall short of the Executive Platinum
qualifications, we'd be happy to discuss any options we have available
closer to the end of the year.

We are eager to serve you at the elite level you desire. Keep up the
great work!

Regards"

The previous Status Exception ("grace") policy has been superseded by American's newer offers to Renew (buy back) status one held previously since 2012, or Boost (buy up) to higher status. See:

For your offer: https://elite.aa.com/

For the 2019 Status year buy back / boost, see here.

Under this program, if you aren't able to retain your elite status, you would be able to renew your status to begin on 1 Feb 2019.

Historically, there was an unofficial exception policy for members who came close to qualifying, but didn't quite make it. Note that you could not request an exception before the end of the qualifying year; by then it was too late to fly more if the exception was not granted. The Exception Policy was subject to change at any time.

Historically, the automatic exceptions were as follows:
  • 24,500 miles or points for Gold Status
  • 49,000 miles or points for Platinum Status
  • 99,000 miles or points for Executive Platinum Status
Previous threads on this topic can be found by using Advanced Search: search thread titles, return as threads, keyword grace.

Executive Summary: Don't expect any "grace" from AA if you are missing Elite Qualifying Miles, Dollars or Segments, as AA has monetized the status exception policy. You can expect to have to buy your status back. See this thread for details:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-merger/1627177-2015-renew-elite-status-buyback-boost-status-10-nov-2014-a.html

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 16, 2016, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA EP, Hyatt Globalist

I'm sure the answer here is probably a resounding, loud, "NO" but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with whether or not AAdvantage would ever essentially gift a small amount of EQM (esp. with prepaid upcoming travel..) to close a small gap to the next tier.

I'm less than 200 miles from Plat and I'd love to get MCE booked prior to my next trip mid Dec.

(I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything, likely because I couldn't quite think of how to word it)

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 16, 2016 at 9:43 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
How loud would you like your 'No' to be?

It does sometimes happen at the end of the year when someone is a few miles short of a tier but even that is rare since they obviously prefer to charge people for that gap.

Getting it during the year isn't going to happen, fly the miles, get the status and enjoy it after you qualify.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

even if someone said yes , that it does from time to time, would you be happy to gamble on it vs just taking a 200 mile flight
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
even if someone said yes , that it does from time to time, would you be happy to gamble on it vs just taking a 200 mile flight
Sounds to me as if OP already has the qualifying flight booked (bolding mine below) - they are just looking to see if they can get bumped up before the flight, so they can get an MCE seat before 24 hours. Doesn't sound like they are trying to get Plat status gifted - just wanting it in advance.

Originally Posted by mdriess
I'm less than 200 miles from Plat and I'd love to get MCE booked prior to my next trip mid Dec.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:22 am

Exactly.

The most I might suggest trying is to call up and ask if you can be put in MCE as a favor since you will qualify on that flight/

Worst they can say is no...
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I'm sure the answer here is probably a resounding, loud, "NO" but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with whether or not AAdvantage would ever essentially gift a small amount of EQM (esp. with prepaid upcoming travel..) to close a small gap to the next tier.

(I tried searching for this, but couldn't find anything, likely because I couldn't quite think of how to word it)
While it may not be unheard of, I am not clear, and forgive me, what benefit this has for AA. You do not qualify in any terms as a "major" or "large" customer or influencer. You're a regular good customer. From a relations point of view, maybe, but to start topping off status as one approaches the threashold could be a bottomless pit for profits, and that impacts ticket costs at the end.

As I sit here with 99,437 miles, I too wonder if they might let me take the rest of the year off and just ship me my SWUs now.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mark_T
Exactly.

The most I might suggest trying is to call up and ask if you can be put in MCE as a favor since you will qualify on that flight/

Worst they can say is no...
Agree-- no harm in asking.

Last edited by JonNYC; Nov 16, 2016 at 8:56 am
Old Nov 16, 2016, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How much is the MCE fee for the flight in question. Rather than asking AA for something you don't need and which you are extraordinarily unlikely to get, why not ask if the agent might assign an MCE seat early?

That is a more doable thing than awarding unearned status.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Funny this question just came up on here as I just emailed AA the other day. I'm 184 miles from EXP and asked nicely if I could get the 184 bump to EXP so I can enjoy the outbound next week phx-dtw as an EXP.

"Dear Ian,

great work!

Regards"
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA EP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by enviroian
Funny this question just came up on here as I just emailed AA the other day. I'm 184 miles from EXP and asked nicely if I could get the 184 bump to EXP so I can enjoy the outbound next week phx-dtw as an EXP.

"Dear Ian,

great work!

Regards"
Very helpful - this is the answer I was unfortunately expecting, but glad to know the current official response.

I do like the idea of asking for an MCE seat; I may give that a shot. If I do I'll post here with results.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 9:00 pm

Very helpful - this is the answer I was unfortunately expecting, but glad to know the current official response.

I do like the idea of asking for an MCE seat; I may give that a shot. If I do I'll post here with results.
Is it a busy route? I'm sort of in a similar boat. I really want to know if an later trip this year I want to book will be upgradeable with SWUs that I'll get when I complete my upcoming Thanksgiving trip, but I can't figure out how to figure that out on expert flyer nor do I have any SWU's as a plat yet. So I don't know if I should pull the trigger now for a coach seat and hope the transatlantic flight will be upgradeable via SWUs I hope to earn in a couple weeks...
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by oaken
... but I can't figure out how to figure that out on expert flyer ...
Use the 'Awards & Upgrades' tool and search for C inventory.

Odds are it will show C0 as there isn't a lot of C inventory opened up early these days, but you can still wait-list for the upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.