Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA fares & fewer upgrades discussion: Money talk$, elite$ walk to economy (2 merge)

AA fares & fewer upgrades discussion: Money talk$, elite$ walk to economy (2 merge)

Old Dec 5, 16, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Another example of where a few dollars eliminate the free upgradees

EXAMPLE TODAY...REFUNDABLE FARES FROM SNA >PHX
ECON=$328
FULY FLEXIBLE PREM ECON (SAME AS ECON IF ELITE )=$919
FIRST FULLY REFUNDABLE=$319

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 5, 16 at 8:05 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Dec 5, 16, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
So why didn't you just buy first? Also I find it *extremely* unlikely that full fare first was less than Y.
Old Dec 5, 16, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Another example of where a few dollars eliminate the free upgradees

EXAMPLE TODAY...REFUNDABLE FARES FROM SNA >PHX
ECON=$328
FULY FLEXIBLE PREM ECON (SAME AS ECON IF ELITE )=$919
FIRST FULLY REFUNDABLE=$319
Why would the elite have to walk to economy? Couldn't the elite just buy the first fully refundable just like a non-elite?
Old Dec 5, 16, 6:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The post also nicely ignores that the economy non flexible ticket for 6/12/17 is $248 , which is cheaper than the 1st class fare

Of course completely ignores that most people are not buying tickets on day of departure and that the advance purchase fares in economy can be as low as $79

Doesn't seem anything untoward at all here
Old Dec 5, 16, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryan182 View Post
So why didn't you just buy first? Also I find it *extremely* unlikely that full fare first was less than Y.
I gave you the routing. go to advanced and select refundable. And see for yourself. F is cheaper than Y but they book F into P bucket
Old Dec 5, 16, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

DO YOU REALLY THINK BIZ PEOPLE ARE BOOKING 2017! You have no concept of where the revenue comes from if you think airlines survive on advanced purchases. I am booking this week.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
The post also nicely ignores that the economy non flexible ticket for 6/12/17 is $248 , which is cheaper than the 1st class fare

Of course completely ignores that most people are not buying tickets on day of departure and that the advance purchase fares in economy can be as low as $79

Doesn't seem anything untoward at all here
Old Dec 5, 16, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I gave you the routing. go to advanced and select refundable. And see for yourself. F is cheaper than Y but they book F into P bucket
So again...Buy. The. First. Class. Ticket. You get bonus EQMs and RDMs and don't have to walk to coach plus you save some money vs the coach ticket. This doesn't seem that hard to me..
Old Dec 5, 16, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
DO YOU REALLY THINK BIZ PEOPLE ARE BOOKING 2017! You have no concept of where the revenue comes from if you think airlines survive on advanced purchases. I am booking this week.
I travel for work. And I routinely buy tickets months in advance. Do you really think all business travel is close in purchases?

Airlines survive on a mix of ticket types. Don't be simplistic.
Old Dec 5, 16, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So what? Most people do make advance puchases ; most do not buy same day tickets

It is still completely misleading to suggest that economy is more expensive since the cheapest fare with no AP requirement is $248 - NOT $328 as implied

If you are purchasing a refundable ticket, what is the problem? just buy a 1st class ticket. Surely this is a positive - no need to worry about place on an upgrade list plus get the extra points for 1st class
Old Dec 5, 16, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
i have like 9 flights booked in 2017 thru my corporate concur office. A lot of companies plan things like international trips months in advance because they are costly and it takes a lot of effort to get all the players in place.

#justsayin

then again i dont get the point of this post. If you want First Class and its cheaper than coach, then pay the first class fare? like thats a no-brainer...

or is it?
Old Dec 5, 16, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How dare they offer a product I desire at a price I can afford!
Old Dec 5, 16, 7:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One way SNA-PXH 17 June 2017:

Lowest Main Cabin fare: $100.00
Lowest Flexible Main Cabin: $328.00
Lowest Fully Flexible Main Cabin: $919.00

Lowest refundable F: $319.00
First Flexible: $319.00
Old Dec 5, 16, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
So what? Most people do make advance puchases ; most do not buy same day tickets

It is still completely misleading to suggest that economy is more expensive since the cheapest fare with no AP requirement is $248 - NOT $328 as implied

If you are purchasing a refundable ticket, what is the problem? just buy a 1st class ticket. Surely this is a positive - no need to worry about place on an upgrade list plus get the extra points for 1st class
+1. It's possible that some corporate policies do not allow F purchase.

I concur that a lot of corporate travel policies highly recommend their employees to purchase flights far out. Just pay F or prepare to sit at the back of the bus.
Old Dec 5, 16, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

I am the OP. I was not complaining. F is refundable and is cheaper then refundable Y. I was just giving an example of how the free upgrades for elites are fewer and fewer because of new pricing model adopted over the past year. There is an entire thread based on upgrade windows gone and other threads about lack of upgrades. My pricing was this week SNA>PHX. Pick any weekday this week and look yourself. Obviously I can buy cheaper with advance purchase tickets
Old Dec 5, 16, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
There is an entire thread based on upgrade windows gone
That thread is, IMO, entirely an example of confirmation bias, and is based upon a questionable understanding of the meaning of the term 'window'. At any rate it doesn't match my experience

and other threads about lack of upgrades
Also not my experience.

I don't dispute that there are some cheap F fares out there, but they haven't translated into a meaningful impact on my upgrade rate. YMMV.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: