Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

APFA union asks full recall of health problem uniforms 30 Nov 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold

In a memo Wednesday to more than 25,500 AA flight attendants, the Association of Professional Flight Attendants that represents flight attendants at AA revealed that it has asked American Airlines, the world's largest airline, for a total recall of all flight attendant uniforms until further joint testing with the company can be completed.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...rm-recall.html
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I would expect a similar request from the union represents the gate agents soon as well - based on what I've heard from gate agent friends. The reactions are widespread and range from minor to severe.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some AA FAs have indicated rashes and other contact issue conditions, others have stated washing them prior to wear may correct the problem. It will be useful to finally have some tests done to determine what the problem is.

Ft. Worth Star-Telegram article link.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 2, 2016 at 4:27 pm
Old Dec 2, 2016, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Has such a "Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight" vibe to it.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Have I mentioned today how much I detest hyperbolic headlines designed to be clickbait? The only place that the word "demand" appears is in the headline of the article. The actual article uses only words like "ask" and "request". And the uniform testing is being done jointly with APFA.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A similar situation occurred when AS went to new uniforms for the FAs and gate agents in 2011. In 2013, after reports of rashes and illnesses AS replaced the uniforms with those from another vendor.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...h-reasons.html

The uniforms that AS replaced at that time were from Twin Hill which is also the vendor for the AA uniforms that are currently being discussed.

And this post from that thread recounts the results of testing by the airline and provided to the union:
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
http://ashsd.afacwa.org/?zone=/union...&HomeID=160011

Regarding arsenic, lead, and chromium in fabrics: Significantly, heavy metals fabric data commissioned by Alaska Airlines and completed in Aug. 2012 reported that 13 of 35 fabric samples appeared to have excess levels of arsenic and lead, 6 of 35 samples appeared to have excess levels of chromium (not hexavalent), and one had excess hexavalent chromium, all as compared to the Oeko-Tex 100 fabric standard. AFA-CWA has not been provided with the names of the arsenic, lead, and chromium-containing compounds in these fabrics, but these test data confirm their presence.
Also AS is again sourcing new uniforms:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ay-2018-a.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Dec 2, 2016 at 7:59 pm Reason: speling and add sentence about twinhill
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thread title has been changed to reflect actual article contents rather than incorrect headline and comply with the FT rules.

/Moderator

4.0 Thread Titles - Link to this Rule

Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic. If you wish to change your thread's title, please contact a moderator. Moderators may also edit thread titles to clarify content.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Interesting development:

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/n...-new-role.html

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 17, 2017 at 8:00 am Reason: Removed referrer tag from URL
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Uniform maker Twin Hill responds to APFA complaints:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...safe/96337854/

According to the article:
"We supported the request of APFA representatives to visit our Houston distribution center and select uniforms directly for joint chemical testing with American Airlines,” Stilley continued. “We scheduled that visit - on three different occasions over the last eight weeks - and each time, the APFA has unilaterally cancelled the visit at the last moment.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:56 am

Doesn't everyone wash their new clothes before wearing?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:54 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by MAYNARDS99
Doesn't everyone wash their new clothes before wearing?
the way i see it is there have been ~2000-3000 reported complaints out of what, 75-80k employees? thats less than 3%. I think everyone has made a big deal out of it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Col Ronson
the way i see it is there have been ~2000-3000 reported complaints out of what, 75-80k employees? thats less than 3%. I think everyone has made a big deal out of it.
Yes. And the majority of the complaints seems to be coming from only one specific work group, right?

-FlyerBeek
Old Mar 16, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
So what's up with uniforms?

I am reading crazy stories
Temporary solutions were offered to help deal with the crisis, such as offering flight attendants and other workers cotton and synthetic uniform options-- but even then some of the flight attendants reported issues with the alternative option.
what is going on here?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:07 am

Did you read the rest of wherever you got that quote from? Pretty sure it would have explained the situation...
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
It honestly does not. At first it seemed the problem was a simple one and some people had allergic reactions which among 70K people is unfortunate but not unexpected but then you switch materials and it's bad...?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.