Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Old Jan 31, 17, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by DoctorORD View Post
... if your upgrade doesn't go through sooner. ...
Thanks, very helpful. When I originally booked, the CSR said that if the upgrade became available, they would automatically upgrade me and let me know of the change.
I don't quite trust that this will occur automatically, so I've been monitoring the situation.
Old Feb 2, 17, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorORD View Post
Would likely try to look for the upgrade inventory first (through expert flyer), as suggested above, then call to get your seat upgraded.
According to EP, there are 8 business seats available still. From what I understand, EF is good for sending me an alert if blocked/sold seats suddenly become available. But what about when the seats are currently available for purchase?
Old May 29, 17, 10:48 am

Y Masquerading as C in the Award Calendar

In looking at MilesAAver redemptions to SYD from middle US, say ORD, it seems there is good availability for business/first that is not in fact business first because the TPAC leg in QF turns out to be in Y, which is not much help.

If you search out of SFO they send you to DFW and put you on QF in Y, and if you search out of LAX, they send you to SFO and put you on QF in Y. The domestic leg is in F.

What are the suggestions to getting an honest calendar in this situation? Should one first search for availability on QF or do you have to go to Expert Flyer and try to figure it out?
Old May 29, 17, 11:22 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
I was looking for int'l. flights a few months ago and was finding the same thing. The longest flight segment was actually in Economy despite searching specifically for Business/First. I called AA and was told that if seats open up in Business/First, then I could change cabins on that segment without a fee - so generous haha - but that there are no guarantees. If no seats ever opened up, I would still be on the hook for the full Business/First mileage award. Who in their right mind would (1) set the system up this way thinking it was fair and (2) would be crazy enough to risk their miles on such a trap??
Old May 29, 17, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Expert Flyer is good for such searches , but for a free search tool, create a BA account and use the BA award search

I wouldn't use the QF site since it too can return mixed cabin results
Old May 29, 17, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Expert Flyer is good for such searches , but for a free search tool, create a BA account and use the BA award search

I wouldn't use the QF site since it too can return mixed cabin results
I should have thought of that. I have a pile of Avios and EC membership.

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 17, 5:24 pm

Programs: US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Southwest
Frequent Flyer routing questions

Hello, I've noticed when attempting to route from Phoenix to Rome using frequent flyer miles (or some other cities in Europe which are serviced on AA planse) that the most likely routing (for business class) is something like

PHX/ORD (AA -- and often economy) (or PHX/DFW or PHX/BOS) and then ORD/LHR plus LHR/Rome (or Madrid or other European city).

Not only does that result in a 'three flight' journey instead of the less stressful 'two flight' with one change option, but also it adds the hefty BA flight fees instead of the far more nominal AA only fees.

So I am wondering the reasoning behind this.

I also wonder why AA seems to REALLY want to push the domestic portion on their planes to economy.
Old Jun 5, 17, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA, WN, AA
That is an annoying aspect of searching for award availability through the AA website. What's also annoying is the website showing Saver Business or Saver First availability, just to see that it's only the short regional jet portion of the trip that is in First and the rest of the itinerary (including the overseas portion) is in ECONOMY​.

You may have better luck calling in. As you know, the website only shows partner availability for only a handful of partners.
Old Jun 5, 17, 5:31 pm

I would note that if I'm planning on spending time in the UK -- I've found it is pretty much impossible to get the BA direct flight from Phoenix to LHR in business class.

This past month we chose lemonade out of the lemons of this. We flew up to Seattle (on Alaska) spent three days there to meet with friends. Then flew Seattle to London (on BA using AA miles) in Business Class. Then we spent 6 days in Oxford. We then flew from LHR to LIS on BA (using AA miles -- gosh the BA 32x "business class" seats are seriously lame), then from Madrid back to London (we got the BA 777 plane so Business Class was actually business class) and spent three days in London.

Then for the return -- since the BA flight to Phoenix was not available using miles, we did a BA 747 to Dallas (the refurb in Business class was quite nice), then AA to Phoenix.

In any event, aside from pushing folks to premium miles (instead of the 57.5K miles) is there another reason for the miles games??
Old Jun 5, 17, 5:35 pm

Yes, I get that -- wish their website was more functional -- I've other issues with the way the site operates.

Curiously, the paired flight combinations actually did offer true business class seating for the long haul flight nearly all the time. It was the AA portion (to Dallas, or Chicago, or Boston or (choose another hub) that was in economy -- that struck me as odd.

The Alaska site is better about flagging mixed class flying -- but has more of the issue you've noted -- where the long haul flight is downgraded to economy.

Originally Posted by rnsn View Post
That is an annoying aspect of searching for award availability through the AA website. What's also annoying is the website showing Saver Business or Saver First availability, just to see that it's only the short regional jet portion of the trip that is in First and the rest of the itinerary (including the overseas portion) is in ECONOMY​.

You may have better luck calling in. As you know, the website only shows partner availability for only a handful of partners.
Old Jun 5, 17, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by BarryAZ View Post
In any event, aside from pushing folks to premium miles (instead of the 57.5K miles) is there another reason for the miles games??
Generally speaking, award availability on AA metal has gone from bad to downright abysmal. This is why you're seeing only economy on the domestic sectors (if you're lucky) and nothing on AA at all for the transatlantic segment.

Awards on BA charge the ripoff fuel surcharges, so availability is usually much better because far fewer people are willing to blow the miles and cash. I'm one of those people who would never spend miles AND hundreds of dollars for an award involving a BA longhaul segment.
Old Jul 22, 17, 2:56 pm

Boarding Order + Last-Minute Change of Class

Hi,
I have a couple of questions about my Business SAAver Award to the Middle East. The first 2 segments are with AA, the 3rd with Iberia. In the first (domestic) segment, there was only one First Class ticket, so I put my husband in it and I am in Economy (although he insists he will switch with me:>).

On this first flight, will I be able to board according to the Business seat, or will I board with Economy? (I'm an Citi/AA cardholder, so technically will go earlier than standard Economy, just curious if I'll be allowed on when First Class boards).

Also, my previous few tickets or changes have taken about 27 hours to go from Pending to Ticketed. If I see the First Class seat on the domestic portion open up, what is my best option to get that seat? In the past, I've always been told to call, but if it's within a 27 hour window, I'm a little timid of doing that. Yet, I don't want to wait until I get to the airport should it become available.

Any thoughts?
THANKS!
Old Jul 22, 17, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by miles4sheli View Post
On this first flight, will I be able to board according to the Business seat, or will I board with Economy? (I'm an Citi/AA cardholder, so technically will go earlier than standard Economy, just curious if I'll be allowed on when First Class boards).
You will not get F boarding privileges (group 1) if not ticketed in F on that flight, so as it currently stands you'd board with group 5.

Also, my previous few tickets or changes have taken about 27 hours to go from Pending to Ticketed. If I see the First Class seat on the domestic portion open up, what is my best option to get that seat? In the past, I've always been told to call, but if it's within a 27 hour window, I'm a little timid of doing that. Yet, I don't want to wait until I get to the airport should it become available.
The minute you see an F MileSAAver award (in U inventory) open up, call and grab it. AA knows how to prioritize ticketing for close-in travel. If you're really concerned about it not ticketing in time, you can gently ask the agent to manually send it for ticketing: "my flight's going out tomorrow, could you make sure that it tickets in time?" Do not wait until you get to the airport if you see the space open up!
Old Jul 25, 17, 1:17 am

Good news! While nothing was available prior to check-in, I checked availabilty while waiting. About an hour or so prior to departure, a First/Business Class SAAver seat was available online. While our gate was not yet manned, I went to another gate and the agent was able to change my seat (he ended up being our gate agent once the passengers at that gate departed).

Had a great flight!
Old Jul 25, 17, 11:03 am

Good news! While nothing was available prior to check-in, I checked availabilty while waiting. About an hour or so prior to departure, a First/Business Class SAAver seat was available online. While our gate was not yet manned, I went to another gate and the agent was able to change my seat (he ended up being our gate agent once the passengers at that gate departed).

Had a great flight!
Congrats, that is cool!! What did you originally have booked, and I assume they were able to cancel the original booking and switch you to the sAAver seat?
Also, was this on your AA or Iberia segment?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: