Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Old Jan 9, 17, 5:45 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Traveling the World
Posts: 5,441
Mixed Cabin Award

When you book a flight with First Class and Economy because the plane only has economy as on some AA Eagle Jets(this is beyond my control) can you ask the Flight Attendant for a complimentary Buy On Board Item and Alcoholic Beverages if you show that your two flights were in F and the last flight is in Y?

Would AA automatically issue a Voucher to be used on the flights? If not can I ask for a proration of the Economy portion? I would think its fair to ask for a proration if one cannot get the First Class services.

Thanks
danielonn is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 5:58 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 2,016
AA is not going to pro rate the mileage required. And unless u have the appropriate status, no comp BOB or alcoholic beverage. But, you never know, you might get a sympathetic FA!

Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
When you book a flight with First Class and Economy because the plane only has economy as on some AA Eagle Jets(this is beyond my control) can you ask the Flight Attendant for a complimentary Buy On Board Item and Alcoholic Beverages if you show that your two flights were in F and the last flight is in Y?

Would AA automatically issue a Voucher to be used on the flights? If not can I ask for a proration of the Economy portion? I would think its fair to ask for a proration if one cannot get the First Class services.

Thanks
AAExecPlatFlier is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 6:21 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DTW/MBS
Programs: UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Posts: 3,126
Furthermore, no access to E+ seats (the exit row on the e145s are quite nice, crj200...not so much).
BThumme is offline  
Old Jan 9, 17, 6:45 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH USA
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 175
I complained to EXP agent. As always they say they will kick the complaint upstairs, but suggests "contact AA" complaint form. Sure. Don't forget to file in the circular file drawer!
cvg-aa is offline  
Old Jan 11, 17, 1:30 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 56
If I book a mixed cabin flight at the Business/First MilesAAver level (SLC to DFW in 1st, DFW to MIA in coach, MIA to LHR in business) and then later find out that 1st class opens up for DFW to MIA, do I have any options to get that? Or is it a done deal once I actually book it, with no options, even if first opens up? Do I still get to use the lounge and get priority boarding for the coach flight?
mera is online now  
Old Jan 11, 17, 7:50 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: RDU <|> MMX
Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Posts: 7,126
Originally Posted by mera View Post
If I book a mixed cabin flight at the Business/First MilesAAver level (SLC to DFW in 1st, DFW to MIA in coach, MIA to LHR in business) and then later find out that 1st class opens up for DFW to MIA, do I have any options to get that? Or is it a done deal once I actually book it, with no options, even if first opens up? Do I still get to use the lounge and get priority boarding for the coach flight?
If sAAver F opens up on your DFW-MIA flight, you can of course call AA and they will switch you. You will still get all the benefits along the way (priority check-in, baggage, lounge access, etc.), however without status, you probably won't get priority boarding any segments in coach.
JJeffrey is offline  
Old Jan 11, 17, 2:23 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 56
Thanks for the info JJeffrey!
mera is online now  
Old Jan 17, 17, 4:27 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 56
This is sort of a follow-up question to my previous one in this thread. I have a sAAver award flight on hold where the first leg is in economy (SLC to DFW) and then the next is in business (DFW to LHR).
There is a flight earlier in the day from SLC to DFW that is business class also at the sAAver award level. However, there is no more availability in business from DFW to LHR, so I don't want to cancel my hold and hope they realign to snag before someone else does.
Can I call American for help booking the earlier flight in business and combining it with my hold? Will I be charged a phone fee for this? Is there a better way to handle this?
mera is online now  
Old Jan 17, 17, 4:30 pm
  #54  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 41,592
If you telephone AA, you should be able to get the economy flight changed without impacting the business class flight ( assuming no married sector issues ) ; you may have to then book over the telephone, but that seems to be a small thing (imo) to get the whole journey in business class
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Jan 17, 17, 10:47 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 56
Thanks, Dave! I got it all worked out with the agent and got it booked.
mera is online now  
Old Jan 26, 17, 10:30 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Programs: AA
Posts: 371
Originally Posted by cvg-aa View Post
I complained to EXP agent. As always they say they will kick the complaint upstairs, but suggests "contact AA" complaint form. Sure. Don't forget to file in the circular file drawer!
Don't worry; I filed one and already got a resolution from AA:

Dear [backprop]:


Thank you for contacting American Airlines.

We very much appreciate the time you took to send us your suggestion about our award searches for our valued AAdvantage passengers. Your idea certainly has merit and it clearly reflects the thought that went into it.

It is always helpful for us to consider our service from our customers' perspective. We try to be responsive to our customers and carefully analyze trend information based upon their reactions. In this way we can identify those service elements that are most appealing as well as improve those that produce a negative response.

Our aim is to suit the needs and wishes of the majority of our customers. As we determine the appropriate action in this regard, your preferences will be considered. Thank you for giving us the benefit of your observations.

[backprop], we are eager to demonstrate the on-time flights and high quality service you expect and we want to deliver. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.


So it's getting fixed as we speak.

You're welcome.
backprop is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 9:32 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,831
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
It sounds like when booking, you took a voluntary downgrade for YYZ-LAX? If so, then make sure you are designated as such on the PALL List specifically, you want to be noted as "voluntary downgrade desires to travel in ticketed cabin"
I came here to ask the exact same question as the OP (TATL flight in J, took a voluntary downgrade on the 2-hour domestic leg, but lots of F seats available). It looks like this answer is dead on. One question - am I correct in understanding that I can/should call AA in advance of the trip to make sure I'm in DSR status, not wait and ask for that at the gate?
bobert24 is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 5:26 pm
  #58  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 24,280
Originally Posted by bobert24 View Post
I came here to ask the exact same question as the OP (TATL flight in J, took a voluntary downgrade on the 2-hour domestic leg, but lots of F seats available). It looks like this answer is dead on. One question - am I correct in understanding that I can/should call AA in advance of the trip to make sure I'm in DSR status, not wait and ask for that at the gate?
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but (1) I don't think a reservations agent can make changes to the airport PALL/standby list, and (2) the list gets cleared at the gate (often not until T-30m at the earliest), so it shouldn't really matter whether you're properly annotated on the list until you get to the airport.
ijgordon is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 5:53 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,353
priority of upgrade requests?

I recently tried to use SAaver awards for a J flight from LAX-LHR. There were no nonstops in SAaver, so the best I could do was LAX-ORD-LHR. I can live with that, but the LAX-ORD leg is in coach, even though it's part of a J fare.

So I booked it and called. They said I'm entitled to a J seat upgrade on the LAX-ORD leg because I already spent the J miles, but only if it becomes available.

Assuming the J seats are not sold out, I know they'd issue upgrades. I have no status with AA, so do elite status members get priority for those upgrades over someone like me?
cheaptom is offline  
Old Jan 30, 17, 6:28 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Programs: UA
Posts: 302
You would probably need to be listed as DSR on the PALL list within 24 hours of the flight if your upgrade doesn't go through sooner. Review this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20689314-post250.html

Would likely try to look for the upgrade inventory first (through expert flyer), as suggested above, then call to get your seat upgraded.
DoctorORD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: