Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Old Dec 2, 16, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, United Silver, SW A-list, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I find BA to be cumbersome (have to scroll through the calendar and wait for each day to load as you click on it) and I don't have EF. What I've found helpful if I want to be sure to be in J/F on a certain leg is to just check that leg using the AA site. So, if you are trying to go to Madrid, check DFW-MAD individually, and then once you've found availability then check from your home city.
Old Dec 2, 16, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I noticed the same problem yesterday when searching for SFO-AKL awards. AA.com showed saaver availability for almost every day in Feb. and Mar. 2017.
But on closer (& tedious!) examination, there were ZERO actual biz or first awards available.

AA.com was perfectly happy to sell me a one-way A ticket for 110K miles or U for 80K where only the first 1 hour flight SFO-LAX was in F ... all the other flights via SYD, MEL or BNE were in economy. Ditto for the return trip.

One could spend many hours looking thru every date to find which days had real premium availability, but I gave up after one hour and not finding any.

Frankly, I think this is fraudulent marketing by AA!

p.s. EF saves some time, but the result is the same, ZERO actual premium availability. But at least EF doesn't deliberately lie & cheat like aa.com does.
Old Dec 2, 16, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
I noticed the same problem yesterday when searching for SFO-AKL awards. AA.com showed saaver availability for almost every day in Feb. and Mar. 2017.
But on closer (& tedious!) examination, there were ZERO actual biz or first awards available.

AA.com was perfectly happy to sell me a one-way A ticket for 110K miles or U for 80K where only the first 1 hour flight SFO-LAX was in F ... all the other flights via SYD, MEL or BNE were in economy. Ditto for the return trip.

One could spend many hours looking thru every date to find which days had real premium availability, ....
Or.... search LAX-AKL and grab it if you can get it in F or J. Then call AA and ask to add the SFO-LAX segment to the itinerary.
Old Dec 2, 16, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
same for AS, UA & DL. disgusting.
Old Dec 2, 16, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Gold, WN A-List, Hiltn Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
UA search results clearly indicate "mixed cabin" for awards that have some flight legs in coach.
Old Dec 3, 16, 8:26 am

Unhappy Misleading Award Travel

This thread has shifted my concern a bit.
My main issue is that AA Awards take the full amount of miles for Business/First Saver travel but only provide the service on 25% to 33% of the actual segments.
This is very misleading and one has to scroll through all the flight options to find out which segment is actual in Business/First class
Not transparent at all
Old Dec 3, 16, 8:37 am

I noticed that a few months ago, but recently it has been a plague
Every itinerary I've been searching gave me only this kind of results.
Mostly one lame BA segment + a couple of economy AA flights.
Sure, thanks AA... By far the worst program today, worse than Delta,
can you imagine?
Old Dec 3, 16, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by Big_Foot View Post
I noticed that a few months ago, but recently it has been a plague
Every itinerary I've been searching gave me only this kind of results.
Mostly one lame BA segment + a couple of economy AA flights.
Sure, thanks AA... By far the worst program today, worse than Delta,
can you imagine?
I was searching international awards and AA had a First AAnytime award that was GIG-MIA business and first in the 777-300 MIA-LAX.
Old Dec 3, 16, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
It's a problem cited in the AS forum, to be sure. Delta? I don't recall a pattern of seeing a long-haul in coach and short segment in F or partner business.
Old Dec 3, 16, 3:47 pm
Suspended

There are cases where such behaviour of mixed classes could be of benefit - rather than showing no availabilty where , for example, SFO-LAX was unavailable in buisness whilst LAX-AKL was available , it can now show a mixed offering of economy followed by business

It would seem to be a fairly complex change to start determining which flight mappings should be offered and which shoudl not

If there was an option of direct flights only , that would seem to be the best if AA could offer it
Old Dec 3, 16, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It would seem to be a fairly complex change to start determining which flight mappings should be offered and which shoudl not
No it wouldn't. Availability for international awards should be based on availability in the specified cabin on the international long-haul segment. That's not particularly complicated for the vast majority of searches. I thought that's how UA works, but I haven't looked recently.
Old Dec 4, 16, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
I was having this problem 2 weeks ago while searching for J awards to BCN next year. I couldn't find J saver awards on DFW MAD segment on AA metal. I found availabilty on IB flights which necessitated a call for a partner award. While talking to the agent I asked her to check for me on the AA flight for J saver seats. She was able to see what I could not. So I grabbed the AA flights TATL with IB from MAD BCN.

Pick up the phone and call, especially if a partner is involved and you won't have to pay the phone fee.
Old Dec 4, 16, 10:36 pm

I searched a MEL-LAS F award for next year.

AA proudly showed me SAAver awards in F for 110k.

MEL-LAX was Economy, LAX-LAS was Business/First.

MEL-LAX SAAver in Economy is 40k.

Effectively I was asked to pay 70k miles to get from LAX to LAS in Business...15k is the SAAver price.

It's ridiculous. Just put a filter/check box on there asking if I'd like to see mixed cabin itineraries, it's not hard.
Old Dec 5, 16, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Guvner067 View Post
I searched a MEL-LAS F award for next year.

AA proudly showed me SAAver awards in F for 110k.

MEL-LAX was Economy, LAX-LAS was Business/First.

MEL-LAX SAAver in Economy is 40k.

Effectively I was asked to pay 70k miles to get from LAX to LAS in Business...15k is the SAAver price.

It's ridiculous. Just put a filter/check box on there asking if I'd like to see mixed cabin itineraries, it's not hard.

Incredible. Anything "business" to Europe is XXX-JFK in U, JFK-LHR in economy
LHR-XXX in U. Or a variation of that, but JFK-LHR is ALWAYS in economy.
Of course, $500 in fees because one of those is British Airways. Craaazyyyy
Old Dec 7, 16, 11:14 am

Angry Misleading Award Travel

I am surprised that more frequent flyers do not complain about trying to book award travel in Business/First class and then have to do an extensive search to find a multi segment itinerary that truly has all segments in the class they want.The charging of full miles and having 25%-75% of the segments in coach is true gouging by the airlines. AA, United, Delta, Air Canada and Alaska all do this without impunity.The least the airlines could do use a filter on their award travel searches to show flights with all segments in the Business/First class that their customers are using their miles for. How can we get this fixed rather than just complaining to each other?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: