Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion

Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by tikchik
There would be more outrage in this thread if I used the wrong pronoun.
Not sure what pronouns have to do with any of this, but if your entire intent was to stir up "outrage," then that pretty much refutes what you wrote earlier:

I did not come in here trolling.
bse118 and artificialard like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
My mistake, I should not have presumed 110K for DFW-LAX-SYD, 80% in Y, is a bad deal because one poster likes the daylight flight to LHR. Carry on AA.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You are free to feel outraged if you want , but there is nothing that AA is doing wrong - it is up to you whether you take advantage of what is offered

the point , you said, of the thead is to let people know that ir is happening ; you have let people know - if people do not feel outraged then perhaps they are ok with it
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
My mistake, I should not have presumed 110K for DFW-LAX-SYD, 80% in Y, is a bad deal because one poster likes the daylight flight to LHR. Carry on AA.
??? Not a single poster in this thread has said anything to suggest that the example you started this exercise with is anything other than a bad deal.

And there have been other examples of the potential utility of a mixed class award posted in this thread:

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Not to mention I've used mixed-cabin awards to my advantage -- essentially guaranteeing myself a F seat on one leg while I wait for F inventory to open up on the other. Not on anything as extreme as these ridiculous Australia awards, but I definitely prefer the inconvenience of the current system to the previous one, where mixed-cabin itineraries were impossible (where I was blocked from a premium SFO-LAX-LHR award if the first leg didn't have F/J, for instance).
Originally Posted by cedric
What happens if there's a leg of of your itinerary on an RJ with no First cabin? Or if no F is available on the smaller, connector, segment but is on the int'l one?
Would you rather that AA not display these?
Nothing wrong with some mixed cabin awards - they open up more options for redemption.
Some will be poor value, like your example, but certainly not all of them are!
cedric and Science Goy like this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:52 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Seems like the discussion is getting a bit redundant and circular. Please refer to the linked posts/threads upthread for existing discussion about this current AA practice. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The open thread discussing this issue is Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion.

Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Hi all, I tried searching but could not come up with a concrete answer - it's been a while since I flew with checked luggage on a mixed airline award.

I have a flight booked PHX-TUS-SEA, AA on the first leg then AS on the second leg. I have AA Gold status so 1 free checked bag.

Can I check a bag all the way? Will it make it or do I have to recheck at TUS?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:53 pm

I have a roundtrip award flight booked, the departure (DSM > PHL > CUN) is a Business/First MileSAAver (mixed cabin) award while the return (CUN > ORD > DSM) is an Economy MileSAAver award. DSM > PHL is in economy, while PHL > CUN is in business.

First class (via Business/First MileSAAver) is available for the DSM > PHL leg, is that enough to get switched from economy or does a Business/First MileSAAver award need to be available for all of DSM > PHL > CUN?

Previous comments in this thread lead me to believe just DSM > PHL availability is enough, but I'm running in to some issues getting that switched so either things have changed or I was wrong in my assumption.

Last edited by Nick311; Feb 20, 2019 at 9:54 pm Reason: Better readability
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Nick311
I have a roundtrip award flight booked, the departure (DSM > PHL > CUN) is a Business/First MileSAAver (mixed cabin) award while the return (CUN > ORD > DSM) is an Economy MileSAAver award. DSM > PHL is in economy, while PHL > CUN is in business.

First class (via Business/First MileSAAver) is available for the DSM > PHL leg, is that enough to get switched from economy or does a Business/First MileSAAver award need to be available for all of DSM > PHL > CUN?

Previous comments in this thread lead me to believe just DSM > PHL availability is enough, but I'm running in to some issues getting that switched so either things have changed or I was wrong in my assumption.
Previously all you needed was the DSM-PHL to open up in business for you to switch. Now however with AA's frequent married segment availability there are scenarios in which you need the entire DSM-PHL-CUN to be open in business to switch. Definitely give AA a call though and ask to change now that the DSM-PHL is open in business, we won't be able to tell you definitively.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Previously all you needed was the DSM-PHL to open up in business for you to switch. Now however with AA's frequent married segment availability there are scenarios in which you need the entire DSM-PHL-CUN to be open in business to switch. Definitely give AA a call though and ask to change now that the DSM-PHL is open in business, we won't be able to tell you definitively.
Thanks, I was able to get my itinerary switched (three of us on the record locator) after they told me they could not see the availability, but if I put it on hold they could work with it. After the lady I spoke to got mine switched, I gave her a linked PNR for my wife (we had to change her name after booking) and she went to do the same for her but after she came back from hold she said she was unable to reach the person who did it for her before and was told by the others she spoke to that things were done incorrectly and they were unable to do the same for my wife as availability must show for all of DSM > PHL > CUN.

I assume if they were able to do it once, they may be able to do it again so I will likely call back and try again.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Nick311
Thanks, I was able to get my itinerary switched (three of us on the record locator) after they told me they could not see the availability, but if I put it on hold they could work with it. After the lady I spoke to got mine switched, I gave her a linked PNR for my wife (we had to change her name after booking) and she went to do the same for her but after she came back from hold she said she was unable to reach the person who did it for her before and was told by the others she spoke to that things were done incorrectly and they were unable to do the same for my wife as availability must show for all of DSM > PHL > CUN.

I assume if they were able to do it once, they may be able to do it again so I will likely call back and try again.
Quick update on my situation above, I called again this morning and while they were not able to see the availability (it must need to be available for all segments), she asked if I could put it on hold so she could work with that record locator. I put that first leg in first on hold (without putting in the AAdvantage number as you then run in to the duplicate flight issue), gave her that record locator and after a long hold she came back and said she was able to get things changed for me. HUCA apparently did the trick, and she was great to work with.
Old May 19, 2019, 9:11 pm

Mixed Economy/First Saver Award

I bought a first class saver domestic award (25k miles) but one segment is in economy, the other in first. If saver first opens up on the initial segment and I call in, will American upgrade me to first? Thanks!
Old May 19, 2019, 9:39 pm

Yes but it will not happen. You will find multiple threads on this issue. Some people call enhancement as a joke. Welcome to the the new AA where you are forced to anytime award if you want F all the way or a overnight connection at best
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
The real deal on mixed reward

Am I correct with the following? If so I'll start a wiki with the data point.

Scenario: Redeemed business class award. One segment is coach.
Result:
1. You can ONLY get the business class seat you redeemed ("paid") for if J-award space opens.
2. Your "paid" business class will not push you ahead of those who have "free" upgrades via plat status, etc.
3. Unless you are EXP or higher you can't upgrade on an award ticket.

Seems like since I "paid" for the J-cabin I would get it if there happened to be available seats after everyone checks-in, but some data points in the thread sort of say this doesn't happen. Is this a rock solid rule?

Thanks for confirmation!
dciolli likes this.

Last edited by ryandelmundo; Jun 12, 2019 at 3:00 pm Reason: clarity
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:14 am

Baggage allowance on multi-cabin trip (mixed PE, Y)

I am flying premium economy - STL-DFW-OGG later this year. The STL-DFW leg does not have a premium economy seat (737-800) - does this mean that I have to pay to check my baggage from STL to DFW? The DFW-OGG does have premium economy (777-200) so I am good there.

Also, since there are no premium economy seats on STL-DFW, I changed my seat to one of the MCE seats without paying for an upgrade - the website said $0 when I selected those seats, is this right?

I have scoured the forum and abused the search function to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.