American no longer refunds a lower cost?

Old Nov 27, 16, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

American no longer refunds a lower cost?

Noticed today that my ticket price to Spain dropped over $300.
When I called, they said that they no longer have the program that will refund the difference minus a service charge. True?
Old Nov 27, 16, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, Travbug002.Please follow this thread in the FT American Airlines Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Nov 27, 16, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Travbug002 View Post
When I called, they said that they no longer have the program that will refund the difference minus a service charge. True?
The service charge as you call it would be the change fee, as determined by your fare rules. Most but not all AA tickets allow changes for a fee. Some international tickets do have change fees as high as $300 so maybe it would have been a wash?
Old Nov 27, 16, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even if it's a $250 change fee (more common for international coach, I believe), AA won't provide a refund of the $50.

But you can always cancel and rebook at the lower price, and get the difference in a voucher, if the fare allows changes.
Old Nov 29, 16, 9:03 am

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
I know what you are referring to...many many years ago AA would give you back the fare difference in a voucher if your fare, for the exact flights, went down...And you noticed ...and you called them...I really miss this perk, but it has been a long time since they did that.
Old Nov 29, 16, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Travbug002 View Post
That is a really long time ago.

The typical discounted international ticket now has a minimum of a $300 change fee and the difference is a voucher for future travel. So, it has to be a significant change to make it worth it and you have to be a regular traveler to be able to use the voucher.
Old Nov 29, 16, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
That is a really long time ago.
Indeed! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...light=Rollover
Old Dec 1, 16, 1:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Or if the OP is referring to the Lowest Price Guarantee, it was discontinued in October: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-14.html
Old Dec 2, 16, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

I am new to this forum and it has taken me a while to negotiate and I thank you all for your responses. I was "remembering" the best fare guarantee and was excited at the thought that I would finally be able to make out a little better on an expensive business class airfare. I will be posting again on a new thread regarding connecting time and AA responsibility if 45 minutes is not enough to make their connection for an international flight.

Again, many thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: