Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Please help. On LAX-HKG now And About to miss connection in HKG

Old Nov 21, 16, 4:49 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM (and falling fast!), AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb

I may have gotten myself into a jam here.

Flying LAX-HKG on AA metal and had a 1hr connection time to make the HKG-CGK CX flight.

This is an AA Y ticket.

Leaving the gate @ 12:55am (20m late), and THEN After sitting on the taxiway @ LAX for I think over an hour due to the pilot saying something about too much weight to take off in the rain (seriously), we finally left.

We are looking at an arrival time into HKG @ 9:02am now and the CX flight leaves @ 9:20.

Sitting in J so getting off first work be a problem (used two SWUs for me and my girl).

The NEXT flight to CGK isn't until 3:55pm....but.....

CX 719 HKG 3:55p → CGK 7:50p
F5 A5 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Will my EXP status get us on this flight even if they have to put us in First/Business/whatever their premium Cabin is?

I'm actually DOUBLY screwed because CGK isn't our final destination. I have separate tickets on Air Asia to get us to Bali for a week.

So I don't think AA/CX will get us to Bali by re-routing.

I could use DL miles to get us nonstop to DPS (Bali) but wouldn't AA cancel our return flight home if we skip a middle leg (HKG-CGK)?
Old Nov 21, 16, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
They'll rebook you to CGK if it was in one ticket. The air Asia ticket is a loss. Shouldn't book separate tickets like that.
Old Nov 21, 16, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by hiima View Post
They'll rebook you to CGK if it was in one ticket. The air Asia ticket is a loss. Shouldn't book separate tickets like that.
Some air Asia fares allow free changes!
Old Nov 21, 16, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you end up considering the DL option, call AA and explain why you're going to miss the segment. I've skipped a middle segment because of IROPS before and had a phone agent preserve the rest of my itin. (It's possible an airport/lounge agent could do it too, although I'm not sure what actual AA employees you'll be in contact with there.)

I've never seen a policy written about this, but it was done for me without hassle as a Gold, so I don't think it's too big of a favor when they can validate a misconnect due to an AA delay.

I'm assuming everything here except the Air Asia bit is 1 PNR...
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:01 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

It was $2,100 to fly to Bali, and $870+$132 to fly to CGK and then Bali.

Yes, I knew the risks inherent here.
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:03 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Some air Asia fares allow free changes!
I think I booked a flexible Air Asia ticket. I'll look into it once we land in HKG.
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
It was $2,100 to fly to Bali, and $870+$132 to fly to CGK and then Bali.

Yes, I knew the risks inherent here.
I'd have done the same thing. So would a lot of people here.
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:06 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
If you end up considering the DL option, call AA and explain why you're going to miss the segment. I've skipped a middle segment because of IROPS before and had a phone agent preserve the rest of my itin. (It's possible an airport/lounge agent could do it too, although I'm not sure what actual AA employees you'll be in contact with there.)

I've never seen a policy written about this, but it was done for me without hassle as a Gold, so I don't think it's too big of a favor when they can validate a misconnect due to an AA delay.

I'm assuming everything here except the Air Asia bit is 1 PNR...
I will do this if I have to.

And yes. Phx-LAX-HKG-CGK and the return is one PNR.

Where should I go once I get to HKG to get this fixed? Do the Pier or Wing First Class lounges have agents to fix things like the ADmiral'a Clubs in the US?

I've only flown DL to/through HKG sand only twice so I'm not familiar with the airport.

I'm assuming AA doesn't have staff or a lounge at HKG...
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A chance CX will have an agent greeting you at the jetway.

Barring that, I would try to go to the gate of the connecting flight first. Then look for a service center. I don't think the lounge is set up for this.
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:15 pm

I think my first step would with CX to see for sure what I could get rebooked on. (Or if I'd actually missed the first flight to begin with...maybe it's delayed too?)

Then I'd see what my Air Asia options were. Make original flight, change flight, buy whole new ticket along original routing, etc.

Finally, if you need AA personnel, I'd probably just call the EXP line.
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
agree on shouldn't book on separate tickets.

On the side note, I had similar situation, y fare VIP upgraded, LGA-DFW-HKG (HKG-ICN on separate ticket on CX), DFW delayed over 2 hours and waiting, no way to connect the flight the same day, I called EXP line, they actually offered to fly me direct to ICN "on business the next day". (DFW-ICN, instead of going thru HKG), and I agreed, even though it will be on 777 vs 77W. Or else, I might need to buy another ticket to ICN.
Well, that's history, AA tends to be very flexible during IRROP, not sure if I can say that anymore. my point is you don't ask, you don't get.
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:27 pm

I think I booked a flexible Air Asia ticket. I'll look into it once we land in HKG.
Sounds good. And if AA is on the same ticket, youll be protected.
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
A last minute CGK-DPS ticket on AirAsia is something like $90-150 depending on which flight you take (you'd need to maybe add luggage, etc.). Hmm, risk paying an extra couple hundred USD if things go pear-shaped or pay $1,000 extra guaranteed just to have one itinerary guaranteed? Jakarta's also not a terribly expensive city to spend a night in a decent hotel if it comes down to that.

When you're playing poker, always keep in mind the size of the pot you're playing for...

Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
I think my first step would with CX to see for sure what I could get rebooked on. (Or if I'd actually missed the first flight to begin with...maybe it's delayed too?)

Then I'd see what my Air Asia options were. Make original flight, change flight, buy whole new ticket along original routing, etc.

Finally, if you need AA personnel, I'd probably just call the EXP line.
This sounds about right to me.
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
I'm assuming AA doesn't have staff or a lounge at HKG...

Correct. Most ground staff (CSA and PSR) functions are performed by a third-party contractor (the ladies who wear the peach-colored uniforms). However, there are a couple of directly-employed AA ground staff at HKG, mostly for CK and supervisory functions. Look for them as you deplane--wearing dark suits and AA/OW lanyards around their necks. They might be able to help you figure out the connection.

If you try at the CX lounges, expect sympathy but not much in the way of actual help. CX lounge receptionists do not really handle much in the realm of ticketing or reaccommodation, and definitely not on a ticket issued by AA. (For example, it is a big deal for them to do even just a seat change on a CX metal flight.)
Old Nov 21, 16, 5:56 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I may have gotten myself into a jam here.

Flying LAX-HKG on AA metal and had a 1hr connection time to make the HKG-CGK CX flight.

This is an AA Y ticket.

Leaving the gate @ 12:55am (20m late), and THEN After sitting on the taxiway @ LAX for I think over an hour due to the pilot saying something about too much weight to take off in the rain (seriously), we finally left.

We are looking at an arrival time into HKG @ 9:02am now and the CX flight leaves @ 9:20.

Sitting in J so getting off first work be a problem (used two SWUs for me and my girl).

The NEXT flight to CGK isn't until 3:55pm....but.....

CX 719 HKG 3:55p → CGK 7:50p
F5 A5 J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0

Will my EXP status get us on this flight even if they have to put us in First/Business/whatever their premium Cabin is?

I'm actually DOUBLY screwed because CGK isn't our final destination. I have separate tickets on Air Asia to get us to Bali for a week.

So I don't think AA/CX will get us to Bali by re-routing.

I could use DL miles to get us nonstop to DPS (Bali) but wouldn't AA cancel our return flight home if we skip a middle leg (HKG-CGK)?
How do you use DL miles to fly HKG-DPS nonstop? Is that a GA route?

Search this Thread