Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA vs. IB / Iberia comparison: which is better, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA vs. IB / Iberia comparison: which is better, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007
Iberia has fantastic availability for next summer on MIA MAD route.I use Avios and book directly with Iberia so the AA system problems do not affect me.Also their 1-2-1 ,J seats are great.They also offer off peak awards into mid June 2017 at only 42,500 avios plus around $100 fees.Brand new A330 to boot.This is a much better product than AA tired 777-200.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look into this.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by BDL Flyer
Flew business class this summer vce-mad-ord on IB -- was very impressed with TATL segment; great service and great equipment. Obviously the service varies by crew - but my wife thought the biz IB product on MAD-ORD was better than F on AA ORD-FCO on the old 777.

We found our availability about 300 days out by searching on ba.com -- called AA and booked on the first try.
That's really helpful to know. Thank you. I don't mind flying business, I was hoping to try F but as long as there's lie flat seats I'm happy.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
AA and IB MileSAAver awards can be challenging to find, but they are certainly there for those who are patient and assiduous in their search. (I've taken many SAAver award flights in Business on AA and a number of one world airlines, including IB and QF - in fact had awards SFO-LIS for two on AA SAAver tickets last month.)

IB Business Plus on long hauls is IMO quite comparable to the newer AA long haul Business product with solo, all aisle access horizontally flat seats, reasonably good food and a nice selection of Spanish wines. But IB eliminated First class years ago.
Didn't think of looking at QF. Will do so. Thanks for the tip!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I'm considering going to BCN in Sept-2017 out of SFO.

I searched AA.com and no IB flights show up at all. Most are with BA to LHR or AA out of JFK if I use miles.

But if I want to purchase a seat and use miles to upgrade, it seems that when the IB flights show up out of ORD and MIA. Any reason why the IB flights are "hidden" and we must call AA and deal with their agents not being able to reliably complete the transaction at hand.?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:00 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've done several IB TATL Business Class award trips with AA miles.

I like IB! Pretty good flat seats, pretty good food, good wines.

My only complaint is that some of their FA's do the bev service only after the food arrives and some try and pull my wine glass while I'm still eating dinner! That would never happen in my house.....

I do like the MAD Business Class lounges.

To me IB is a geed choice TATL in Business.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: AA 2MillionMiler, BA ExecutiveClub, UA MileagePlus, AS MileagePlan
Originally Posted by JDiver
If you are using BA to determine award availability, you may well be getting the known "phantom availability" we can get from BA.
That's not what I'm trying to say. The agents cannot book any Iberia award flights right not because of a system issue.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by oaken
They need to fix it.
One of the AA agents told me that it was Iberia's problem. Who knows.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I'm considering going to BCN in Sept-2017 out of SFO.

I searched AA.com and no IB flights show up at all. Most are with BA to LHR or AA out of JFK if I use miles.

But if I want to purchase a seat and use miles to upgrade, it seems that when the IB flights show up out of ORD and MIA. Any reason why the IB flights are "hidden" and we must call AA and deal with their agents not being able to reliably complete the transaction at hand.?
No Iberia award flights show up on aa.com. You either need to call, use Experflyer or try using the BA website.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold
AA or IB to BCN in business award, which is better?

I will shortly be looking for 2 saver business awards to BCN from MCI. looking at the award calendar now it looks like I can fly either on all AA flights with TATL J from JFK on AA 66 or PHL on AA 742 to BCN or AA 36 from DFW to MAD then to an IB flight MAD to BCN, or IB J from ORD via MAD. Either routing has me making 2 connections coming from Kansas City.

Which routing will have the lie flat seats? I know the IB aircraft does but what about AA? I have not been on a longhaul in biz on an AA plane in 4 years. Last time J was pathetic.

Which way would you go if you had a choice?

Last edited by susiesan; Nov 20, 2016 at 1:17 pm
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I believe all will have lie flat seats. I think niyte the TATL contract requires all OW to have lie flat over water. I could be so wrong though. But AA out of PHL has lie flat for all J A330.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:36 pm

If all TATL route aircraft will have lie flat seats, has anyone who has experienced both IB J and AA J able to make a comparison? For food, service, comfort of seat which is preferable if there is a choice?
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:44 pm

I haven't experienced IB J, but I asked this same question for a trip from LAX-CDG that I booked a few months ago. The advice I received was that that AA J and IB J are about the same--nothing special. Decent hard product, variable soft product ranging from slightly below average to pretty decent. The advice was to go with the best price/sked.

Secondhand...take it for what it's worth, which may be nothing. I ended up booking IB J just to experience it, but then a J seat opened on AA 108 from LAX-LHR and I jumped on it. Very glad I did...saved $100 fuel surcharge!

Here's a link to that conversation:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post26954259
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
I haven't experienced IB J, but I asked this same question for a trip from LAX-CDG that I booked a few months ago. The advice I received was that that AA J and IB J are about the same--nothing special. Decent hard product, variable soft product ranging from slightly below average to pretty decent. The advice was to go with the best price/sked.

Secondhand...take it for what it's worth, which may be nothing. I ended up booking IB J just to experience it, but then a J seat opened on AA 108 from LAX-LHR and I jumped on it. Very glad I did...saved $100 fuel surcharge!
I did not realize that IB awards had the fuel surcharge added. I know about the BA charges. because you cannot book IB online there is no way to know what the charge extra fuel surcharge on a given routing is.

I may just go with AA flights, but if I go the MCI-DFW-MAD on AA then MAD-BCN on IB I will have to call to get this award. I wonder if there is a fuel surcharge for the short MAD-BCN leg of the trip? And I may use AA going over to Europe as my return will be from Venice and I will have to fly IB as AA never releases J seats on their flights from VCE.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
IB's TATL J is lie flat and very nice with good service. Highly recommended. The cash surcharge was not substantial--nowhere near BA's.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
I did not realize that IB awards had the fuel surcharge added. I know about the BA charges. because you cannot book IB online there is no way to know what the charge extra fuel surcharge on a given routing is.

I may just go with AA flights, but if I go the MCI-DFW-MAD on AA then MAD-BCN on IB I will have to call to get this award. I wonder if there is a fuel surcharge for the short MAD-BCN leg of the trip? And I may use AA going over to Europe as my return will be from Venice and I will have to fly IB as AA never releases J seats on their flights from VCE.
I can't speak to the surcharge on MAD-BCN, but LAX-MAD was about $80.

AA does fly JFK-BCN. You could do what I did. Book the best flight you can get right now, which sounds like AA to MAD and then IB from MAD-BCN. Then, if a better flight opens, call AA and switch the routing to all AA metal. Then you'll get any fuel surcharges refunded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.