Award Flight in First or Biz?

Old Nov 17, 16, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Award Flight in First or Biz?

I have a bunch of miles and now as EXP thanks to double miles will get another 80,000 per month. Is it worth the extra 30,000 mile to fly First one leg of my Chicago to Sydney trip (at 110,000 miles), or better just doing 80,000 miles for Biz?
Old Nov 17, 16, 5:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by chigal View Post
I have a bunch of miles and now as EXP thanks to double miles will get another 80,000 per month. Is it worth the extra 30,000 mile to fly First one leg of my Chicago to Sydney trip (at 110,000 miles), or better just doing 80,000 miles for Biz?
What routing? AA or Qantas? Flying alone or with a companion? If you have a way of earning 80,000 (!!) miles per month then I can't really imagine why you wouldn't pay the extra for F.
Old Nov 17, 16, 5:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Which flight goes from ORD to SYD?
Old Nov 17, 16, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

AT the moment no flight from SYD to ORD, but Qantas has announce it will next year. At the moment I travel CBR-SYD-LAX-ORD (then back 4 weeks later). I can take either AA or Qantas for award flights, but I only fly AA if not an award flight so I can get upgraded (Qantas won't upgrade AA members I don't think).
Old Nov 17, 16, 5:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AT the moment no flight from SYD to ORD, but Qantas has announce it will next year. At the moment I travel CBR-SYD-LAX-ORD (then back 4 weeks later). I can take either AA or Qantas for award flights, but I only fly AA if not an award flight so I can get upgraded (Qantas won't upgrade AA members I don't think).
If QF flies SYD-ORD it could be with a two class aircraft, and First in a 747, eh, not worth it IMO. If you can route in such a way as to secure an award using an AA 77W, or a QF A380, I'd recommend it. On a 747 or an AA 787 connecting at AKL, not.

And QF will not upgrade AAdvantage members on award or paid flights. Your primary challenge is finding available award seats: US-Aus MileSAAver award seats in Business or First are nearly as scarce as unicorns on that route.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 18, 16 at 7:18 am
Old Nov 18, 16, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
What double miles are you referring to? AA flights?
from https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Calculating award miles

The new earning structure applies to travel beginning August 1, 2016. Miles are earned based on ticket price (includes base fare plus carrier-imposed fees; excludes government-imposed taxes and fees). The more you spend, and the higher your elite status, the more you'll earn.

AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
Gold member – 7 miles/U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
Platinum member – 8 miles/U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
Executive Platinum member – 11 miles/U.S. dollar (120% bonus)

yes, EXP have 120% bonus compared to Plat 60%. But its not double miles based on distance, it's based on fare.

For partners, as far as I can tell, EXP don't earn miles at any higher rate than other levels. Higher mileage multipliers are based on cabin class.

How are you able to get 80,000 'extra' miles/month due to being EXP?
Old Nov 18, 16, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For premium awards USA to Australia it is always best to take what you can find. Many do not find
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

AT the moment no flight from SYD to ORD, but Qantas has announce it will next year.
You are being extremely optimistic. All speculation at this time.
http://www.ausbt.com.au/why-we-could...the-boeing-787
http://www.executivestyle.com.au/wha...be-like-gpippw
Old Nov 18, 16, 2:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by mikelat View Post
yes, EXP have 120% bonus compared to Plat 60%. But its not double miles based on distance, it's based on fare.

For partners, as far as I can tell, EXP don't earn miles at any higher rate than other levels. Higher mileage multipliers are based on cabin class.
The EXP mileage bonus is based on redeemable miles earned, and those miles are based on distance or fare depending on what kind of ticket was bought. When I fly BA prime in premium economy, I earn miles based on distance, then the EXP bonus on top of that. Source

Search this Thread
Search Engine: