Help please: AA125 DFW-HKG Problem

Old Nov 16, 16, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Help please: AA125 DFW-HKG Problem

Hello all,

I'm currently on AA125 DFW-HKG flight, sitting in 16A. We were already delayed about 1.5 hours leaving DFW d/t some mechanical issue. About 3 hours into the flight (somewhere over Saskatchewan), the captain announced that there was a problem with the navigational system and that we had to return to DFW. We will be landing back at DFW in an hour or so. I have no idea what to expect when I land back at DFW as I have never had a situation like this before. Is it reasonable for me to ask for a PE or J seat on another carrier, if they can't get a replacement plane soon enough? I really don't want to be stuck in a regular Y seat for such a long flight. Also if I can't get to HKG by Thursday night, I am going to lose the hotel room that I already paid for out of pocket. Can I ask AA to reimburse me? I am PLT if that helps. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Nov 16, 16, 4:55 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Hello all,

I'm currently on AA125 DFW-HKG flight, sitting in 16A. We were already delayed about 1.5 hours leaving DFW d/t some mechanical issue. About 3 hours into the flight (somewhere over Saskatchewan), the captain announced that there was a problem with the navigational system and that we had to return to DFW. We will be landing back at DFW in an hour or so. I have no idea what to expect when I land back at DFW as I have never had a situation like this before. Is it reasonable for me to ask for a PE or J seat on another carrier, if they can't get a replacement plane soon enough? I really don't want to be stuck in a regular Y seat for such a long flight. Also if I can't get to HKG by Thursday night, I am going to lose the hotel room that I already paid for out of pocket. Can I ask AA to reimburse me? I am PLT if that helps. Thank you in advance for your help.
Sorry to hear that, I did see that the flight went out late.

16A is MCE, and not regarded as a separate class or service, so rebooking would be in Y, unless you get lucky with a bump on a alternate OW carrier. Out of DFW, probably best alternate is through NRT/HND, and with a connection to HKG. Or could go back to LAX/SFO and get a direct from there.

As for hotel room, I have similar situations, and claimed that on my credit card (Citi Exec) insurance. Doubt you'll get anything out of AA, but worth a try.

FWIW ; AA126 on Thursday now cancelled. Also 125/126/192/193 issues, and knock on effects are why i have moved my biz to CX.
Old Nov 16, 16, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prw555 View Post
Sorry to hear that, I did see that the flight went out late.

16A is MCE, and not regarded as a separate class or service, so rebooking would be in Y, unless you get lucky with a bump on a alternate OW carrier. Out of DFW, probably best alternate is through NRT/HND, and with a connection to HKG. Or could go back to LAX/SFO and get a direct from there.

As for hotel room, I have similar situations, and claimed that on my credit card (Citi Exec) insurance. Doubt you'll get anything out of AA, but worth a try.

FWIW ; AA126 on Thursday now cancelled. Also 125/126/192/193 issues, and knock on effects are why i have moved my biz to CX.
Thanks for your reply. That's what I suspected. On the AA website it looks like they rebooked me for the same flight tomorrow, in 29L no less. My seatmate got rebooked via LAX tonight, arriving in HKG early Friday morning. I'm going to ask them for the same. Would I have better luck asking at AC rather than at the gate?
Old Nov 16, 16, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lutz View Post
Thanks for your reply. That's what I suspected. On the AA website it looks like they rebooked me for the same flight tomorrow, in 29L no less. My seatmate got rebooked via LAX tonight, arriving in HKG early Friday morning. I'm going to ask them for the same. Would I have better luck asking at AC rather than at the gate?
I've always had better luck rebooking, getting hotel vouchers etc at AC over the gate if for no other reason than nearly everyone else is at the gate and it's chaotic.
Old Nov 16, 16, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA 1.75MM EXP EMD, UA 1.31MM LT *G, DL SM, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott LT PLT(PP)/ICH AMB PLT/Hertz PC
OP can try to route it through JFK, YYZ, YVR, LAX, SFO, and get the CX fed to HKG. I would try the best to get on rebooked CX to get the maximum RDMs.

Good luck.
Old Nov 16, 16, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
This is FT, I'm surprised no one has said to go through SYD.
Old Nov 16, 16, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010 View Post
OP can try to route it through JFK, YYZ, YVR, LAX, SFO, and get the CX fed to HKG. I would try the best to get on rebooked CX to get the maximum RDMs.

Good luck.
Except that CX discount coach fares earn 0% RDMs on AAdvantage.
Old Nov 17, 16, 1:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Col Ronson View Post
Except that CX discount coach fares earn 0% RDMs on AAdvantage.
IRROPS won't go into discount coach. Get on CX if you can. Worst case, you request ORC.
Old Nov 17, 16, 3:30 am

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Slightly OT, but what is the deal with the 77W? Seems that every couple of days one goes MX.
Old Nov 17, 16, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
AA can also rebook you the long way around: DFW-LHR-HKG.
Old Nov 17, 16, 8:56 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
Was / is there a consensus on how most PAX were re-accomodated on this flight? Case examples invited......
Old Nov 17, 16, 9:13 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Or on Southwest?

DAL-IAH-MAF-ABQ change ABQ-DEN-PHX-LAS-LAX change LAX-OAK-PDX-SEA change SEA-YVR-ANC-Attu Coast guard station-KIJ-NRT change NRT-ITM-HIJ-ICN-HKG.

Arrive 2017, the year, not the time.

Seriously-AC is the place to go when things get funky, an CX is a great alternative.

Good luck
Old Nov 17, 16, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Slightly OT, but what is the deal with the 77W? Seems that every couple of days one goes MX.
Yeah, bad streak of late. Now add that there seem to be delays on routes with the 787-9.
Old Nov 17, 16, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses. I was automatically rebooked on the same DFW-HKG flight for today. Apparently there was nothing else available, via LAX, SFO, ORD, EWR. There was something via YVR but would have gotten me to HKG later than the direct one today. I called the PLT line 5 times and got the same reply every time. One agent was even willing to put me in J or F for AA metal but sadly nothing was available. I asked if they could put me in J for CX but got shot down (worth a try right?). I did ask at the AC but it was the same story. At least they gave me a hotel voucher and an MCE seat. Oh well. Do you think I should get some compensation (either miles or credit)?

By the way, this was an award ticket.
Old Nov 17, 16, 12:15 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
Or on Southwest?

DAL-IAH-MAF-ABQ change ABQ-DEN-PHX-LAS-LAX change LAX-OAK-PDX-SEA change SEA-YVR-ANC-Attu Coast guard station-KIJ-NRT change NRT-ITM-HIJ-ICN-HKG.

Arrive 2017, the year, not the time.
Solid routing, this made me lol, thank you. What's the EQM bonus for flying coast guard choppers?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: