Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Strange award pricing (using BA, r/t vs one way UK-N America)

Old Nov 13, 16, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA

I am trying to price out an award ticket from the States to Europe and back (in business). The price for the exact same itinerary done as 2 one-ways was the same mileage (combined) but almost $300 less than booking it as a round trip. Any idea why?
Old Nov 13, 16, 9:59 pm

Let me guess BA metal? If so that is normal (I see the same thing on VS as well). It seems both BA and VS charge less in YQ for flights originating in Europe than in the US.

You'll see the reverse where the folks based in Europe are annoyed because in their case two one-ways is more in YQ than a round trip.
Old Nov 13, 16, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
Correct, BA metal. But, originating in States. Strange!
Old Nov 13, 16, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted above, BA charges higher fuel surcharges from the US. If you book a round trip ex-US then the US fuel surcharges are charged for both the outbound and inbound segments. If you book two one ways instead, the US fuel surcharges will be charged for the outbound and the UK/Europe fuel surcharges will be charged for the inbound. There are many threads on this in the BA forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-vs-1-rtn.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: