Price discrepancy in AA website?

Old Nov 12, 16, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO Green
Price discrepancy in AA website?

Hi,

I'm trying to book some JFK-TPE flights in Business. Here are some of the options which I found:

Option 1
JFK-NRT and v.v. (JL operated, JL flight number)
NRT-TPE and v.v. (JL operated, JL flight number)

Lowest round-trip fare (quoted by JL website): Around USD 4,700

Option 2
JFK-NRT and v.v. (AA codeshare, operated by JL)
NRT-TPE and v.v. (AA codeshare, operated by JL)

Lowest round-trip fare (quoted by AA Hong Kong website): Around HKD 27,000 (equivalent to USD 3,460)

Option 3
JFK-NRT and v.v. (AA codeshare, operated by JL)
NRT-TPE and v.v. (AA codeshare, operated by JL)

Lowest round-trip fare (quoted by AA US website): Around USD 5,400

I have limited knowledge of the AA fare system, but I am puzzled as to why there is such a significant difference between Option 2 and 3. Why are the AA HK and US websites yielding such different prices?

I'm slightly inclined to book Option 2 or 3, but was wondering if there are any differences in terms of ticket restrictions as opposed to Option 1? I may have to make several flight changes, so restrictions/penalties will need to be taken into consideration.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 16, 9:30 pm

I would imagine that when JL sells a JL operated flight, they hope to get max dollars for it, assuming their core customers would not be so enterprising (as you were) to check different sources for the same flights.

When AA markets a flight operated by their partner, they have more latitude to offer a lower price.

And HKG being a competitive market, it has low prices as well.

Unless you have other reasons to buy from the JL site, I would suggest you pull the trigger on the lowest fare you can get.
Old Nov 12, 16, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GR, AS MVP GLD
I actually thought AA US site and AA rest-of-world sited use different booking systems. It appears that the US site sometimes cannot price the itinerary using the lowest fare but all sites other than US can (maybe try that itinerary in the Japanese site and see?)
Old Nov 12, 16, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Fares often vary by point of sale (i.e. which country the ticket is sold in). Inventory availability can vary, too. Whether you can complete the transaction or not may also vary. UA, for instance, generally restricts tickets to be issued only in the country of the CC billing address for the card used to pay.
Old Nov 13, 16, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Fares often vary by point of sale (i.e. which country the ticket is sold in). Inventory availability can vary, too. Whether you can complete the transaction or not may also vary. UA, for instance, generally restricts tickets to be issued only in the country of the CC billing address for the card used to pay.
I frequently book tickets while in JNB and BKK for this reason. Tickets sold in those markets even for the routings totally outside the country can be hundreds and thousands less than booking back in US.

Search this Thread