Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Priority List (“PALL”) Changes
Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017

Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days
within upgrade types; see below. See this thread.

"New Upgrade Priority Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Upgrades are currently prioritized by elite status and then time of request."

As of May 20 upgrade prioritization is:
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.

2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)

Updated 8 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hiima
Well, I'll officially know if companion inherits status on my LAX-LHR flight today. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is. I' EXP, companion is nothing. Unless we're the only 2 on the list or everybody else is no status, it should be apparent how the status inherits.
I think we've all but ruled out that this applies to SWUs, I was never sure (even early on in this thread) and I've not seen anyone post otherwise, I don't think?

Although, in reality at this point, I'd be lying of I said I wasn't hopelessly confused about the whole thing!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
I don't understand why this is so difficult for AA. The only thing "new" is that the companion should show up next to me on the airport list without manual intervention, right?

Over the years, I have walked up to gate and seen myself as top 3 and my companion way down the list hundreds of times. I would simply speak to the GA to request that the list be adjusted to reflect my companion's position properly and it's never been a problem. Same PNR or not.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 869
I don't understand why this is so difficult for AA. The only thing "new" is that the companion should show up next to me on the airport list without manual intervention, right?

Over the years, I have walked up to gate and seen myself as top 3 and my companion way down the list hundreds of times. I would simply speak to the GA to request that the list be adjusted to reflect my companion's position properly and it's never been a problem. Same PNR or not.
Agreed-- I'm quite befuddled by the whole thing as well. I -almost- get the feeling AA is as well
Old Jan 12, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I recently jumped ship from DL because of their implementation of this "enhancement". As someone who always travels solo this really stings.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT
11 Jan OGG-LAX and I was 10th on upgrade list, GLD companion at 14. No one cleared so moot point but definitely not together in priority. BTW, both requested back in October.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Update: I was number 10 and my companion was number 16 or so on the upgrade list with SWUs on lax-lhr. The A Angel told me that companion doesn't inherit, only inherits on comp upgraded. only 2 got upgraded anyway, so it didn't matter.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
So, the status is matched only for upgrades for flights under 500 miles? Not for SWUs or certs? Jeez, I would abandon AA again for DL if this is the case.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:18 pm

As an EXP traveling with non-EXP companion, when we do not get get upgraded and remain in main cabin, does this mean my companion is officially entitled to free alcoholic beverage and snack? FA refused this for my companion 1/11.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by arkyrab
As an EXP traveling with non-EXP companion, when we do not get get upgraded and remain in main cabin, does this mean my companion is officially entitled to free alcoholic beverage and snack? FA refused this for my companion 1/11.
Not sure why the expectation would be that the benefit would extend to a companion, but there have been cases where the FAs will offer the EXP/CK's spouse a free drink/snack as well, but that's up to the FAs discretion and should not be expected.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Answer is upthread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27739731-post59.html
(click the link in that post)
Read the thread but it doesn't work.

On flight for comp upgrade with a Gold on PNR. Gold did not have my EXP status for priority. The AC agent was able to move us together as had to do before. So no the system is not as of today putting companions on airport list with higher status companion.

SWUs don't work either - as pointed out and agents can not work it to group the two in the PNR.

Overall - terrible job on AA IT part. And no one at the EXP line or at the Advantage customer service desk knows anything about this. They barely know anything about the other changes either.

Why can't AA train its agents?

Last edited by cova; Jan 13, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by cova
Because that would result in happier customers?

Actually, what change since Doug showed up has resulted in my allegiance to or opinion of AA increasing?? Not sure if there is one
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Read the thread but it doesn't work.

On flight for comp upgrade with a Gold on PNR. Gold did not have my EXP status for priority. The AC agent was able to move us together as had to do before. So no the system is not as of today putting companions on airport list with higher status companion.

SWUs don't work either - as pointed out and agents can not work it to group the two in the PNR.

Overall - terrible job on AA IT part. And no one at the EXP line or at the Advantage customer service desk knows anything about this. They barely know anything about the other changes either.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
(click the link in that post)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post27720583

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 13, 2017 at 4:19 pm
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
FWIW, my experience has been the same as cova's. Flying MIA-JFK on January 6 with my goddaughter who is GLD, I was #2 and she was #9 on the list. We were on the same PNR. As usual, a request to the AC agent moved her up to #3, but it was not done automatically. So I have not yet seen a change in how it works.

(Incidentally, after being "encouraged" to take our seats in Y, we were both given last-minute on-board upgrades.)
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
FWIW, my experience has been the same as cova's. Flying MIA-JFK on January 6 with my goddaughter who is GLD, I was #2 and she was #9 on the list. We were on the same PNR. As usual, a request to the AC agent moved her up to #3, but it was not done automatically. So I have not yet seen a change in how it works.

(Incidentally, after being "encouraged" to take our seats in Y, we were both given last-minute on-board upgrades.)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post27720583
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Sorry if I'm being dense, but I did look at that post and the link therein prior to posting.

Our situation was:
  • Revenue tickets
  • Same PNR
  • Sticker upgrades

My (perhaps mistaken) understanding was that under these circumstances, my companion and I should have been together on the airport upgrade list. We were not.

What am I missing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.