Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Priority List (“PALL”) Changes
Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017

Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days
within upgrade types; see below. See this thread.

"New Upgrade Priority Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Upgrades are currently prioritized by elite status and then time of request."

As of May 20 upgrade prioritization is:
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.

2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)

Updated 8 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:37 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by f4free
I am confused by this. AA just told me today that they linked my PNR with my companions PNR and that we are both good to be upgraded at the EXP window if there two seats available. She asked if we wanted to split or not, which I said not.

IS this 100% confirmed that there is no more linking of two PNRs for companion status on PALL list?
AA's response on Gary's blog... I was just repeating what they said. Keep in mind, everything related to the PALL list is murky right now with conflicting information/experience, so very possible this information is not accurate. At this point, the best way to confirm the "rules" is having individuals who traveled with a companion this month to share their anecdotal situations.

Originally Posted by American Airlines
We have not implemented companion benefits when traveling on a mileage-award upgrade or on a systemwide upgrade. The only new thing introduced on Jan. 1 is with the RV and RI priority codes. Companions will now inherit the priority of the elite member they’re traveling with (if they’re in the same PNR) when listed as an RI or RV on the airport priority list.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfingboy
AA's response on Gary's blog... I was just repeating what they said. Keep in mind, everything related to the PALL list is murky right now, so very possible this information is not accurate. At this point, the best way to confirm the "rules" is having individuals who traveled with a companion this month to share their anecdotal situations.
Agreed on all counts-- and you deserve credit for having posted the AA comments on Gary's blog, I had missed that they were indicating the change wasn't, in fact, happening. And, as I mention in the other thread, still have some theories about the whole thing, but, mostly, I tend to *assume* we're mostly talking abut a delay in implementation vs. a change in course.

As you say, the proof will be in watching the results.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by American Airlines

We have not implemented companion benefits when traveling on a mileage-award upgrade or on a systemwide upgrade. The only new thing introduced on Jan. 1 is with the RV and RI priority codes. Companions will now inherit the priority of the elite member they’re traveling with (if they’re in the same PNR) when listed as an RI or RV on the airport priority list.
What is the difference between RV and RI?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hyatt Globalist
All I can say is what I was told - that the companion inherits the status up until 24 hrs before the flight at which point they can be bumped by anyone with higher status. I said that makes no sense - having the status up until 24 hours before the flight doesn't do anything (I guess it means that if there are enough seats available they will confirm the waitlisted companion for the various windows for elites) but if it goes into the waitlist at the airport, they don't inherit status.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by golfingboy
No - your companion needs to be on the same PNR to inherit your status for complimentary upgrades.

The companion never got complimentary upgrades before . Is this part of the change?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by lcflyer
All I can say is what I was told - that the companion inherits the status up until 24 hrs before the flight at which point they can be bumped by anyone with higher status. I said that makes no sense - having the status up until 24 hours before the flight doesn't do anything (I guess it means that if there are enough seats available they will confirm the waitlisted companion for the various windows for elites) but if it goes into the waitlist at the airport, they don't inherit status.
What you were told is wrong, at least the 24 hour part. There is the regular list and the airport wait list, which takes over around t-3.5 not t-24z.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 2:36 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by cova
What is the difference between RV and RI?
According to Gary - R stands for revenue and V/I stands for Voluntary/Involuntary and this RI/RV is for customers on standby.

So, re-reading this piece makes me think that linking PNRs still will work for companion upgrade purposes as AA claims nothing changed yet with respect to companion upgrades.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 4:28 am

Just got to an airport. I'm EXP traveling with GLD companion on same PNR today, both waitlisted for SWUs on an int'l flight. We're not together on the airport upgrade list.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by Ross0
Just got to an airport. I'm EXP traveling with GLD companion on same PNR today, both waitlisted for SWUs on an int'l flight. We're not together on the airport upgrade list.
Is it worth calling AA about this? I have a similar situation, but with 500 mile certs. Originally, I had my ticket booked and then called AA to book the SO on the same flight and add to the same PNR, but he received a separate confirmation code. We're outside of the 100 hours, but I thought it was odd he couldn't just be added to the same PNR, especially when requesting the upgrade. And he has no status with AA
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Is it worth calling AA about this? I have a similar situation, but with 500 mile certs. Originally, I had my ticket booked and then called AA to book the SO on the same flight and add to the same PNR, but he received a separate confirmation code. We're outside of the 100 hours, but I thought it was odd he couldn't just be added to the same PNR, especially when requesting the upgrade. And he has no status with AA
AFAIK you can't just "add" someone to a PNR after the first person has already been ticketed / a PNR has been created. You can "link" PNRs, but not the same as adding to the same one.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Ross0
Same situation - EXP and GLD on domestic flight less than 500 miles. We're are not together on the airport upgrade list. Should not be a 500 miles segment issue.

Next segment is international - can't see yet, but supposed to be waitlisted for SWU on that segment. But the upgrade list I am referring to is a domestic flight.

DOESN'T WORK as advertised!
Old Jan 12, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by callmedtop
AFAIK you can't just "add" someone to a PNR after the first person has already been ticketed / a PNR has been created. You can "link" PNRs, but not the same as adding to the same one.
Thanks, callmedtop. I suppose I just found it odd that itineraries could be 'linked', but not 'added'. True, it really doesn't make a difference if the policy works as advertised.

Just to add as a point of information, when I booked SO's ticket, the agent did say that the PNRs were 'linked', that certs would be applied for the upgrade for both of us, and that we would not be 'separated' in the case only one seat was available for upgrade. Of course, first go with this policy is traveling out of IAH with no AC to consult with the AAngels if need be
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:06 am

The change for Jan 1, 2017 is that the companion remains with prime status within the 24 hour period for airport upgrade list.

This apparently is not happening from my experience and others.

Called EXP desk - and the agent has no glue about the airport standby list.

Now on hold with AAdvantage desk and they are having to take it up the chain. The AAdvantage desk is clueless as well.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 9:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cova
The change for Jan 1, 2017 is that the companion remains with prime status within the 24 hour period for airport upgrade list.

This apparently is not happening from my experience and others.

Called EXP desk - and the agent has no glue about the airport standby list.

Now on hold with AAdvantage desk and they are having to take it up the chain. The AAdvantage desk is clueless as well.
Answer is upthread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27739731-post59.html
(click the link in that post)
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Well, I'll officially know if companion inherits status on my LAX-LHR flight today. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is. I' EXP, companion is nothing. Unless we're the only 2 on the list or everybody else is no status, it should be apparent how the status inherits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.