Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Priority List (“PALL”) Changes
Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017

Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days
within upgrade types; see below. See this thread.

"New Upgrade Priority Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Upgrades are currently prioritized by elite status and then time of request."

As of May 20 upgrade prioritization is:
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.

2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)

Updated 8 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
effective January 1, companions of an elite member will receive the same priority on the PALL list as the elite member.
Like many have mentioned already up thread, I was under the impression that this was already the case, UNTIL the flight went under airport control. Perhaps the companion priority will now be preserved all the way through to boarding.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Relative to domestic sticker upgrades, I think the problem we had on game day was just that the software didn't carry the policy over to airport. I never had a problem asking a GA to re-attach my companion to my status and becoming 1 & 2 instead of 1 & 12, or whatever.

This just makes life easier
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
In four recent instances, my non-status companion was always listed immediately after me on the PALL list, and we got the upgrades every time. Maybe I've just been lucky with gate agents intervening to re-sort the list, but I'm skeptical -- since I've seen this at T-4, when the upgrade list first becomes available via the app.

So .. make of that what you wish!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Last question addressed (speculatively) just upthread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27471865-post14.html
Ah, must have missed that. Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Like many have mentioned already up thread, I was under the impression that this was already the case, UNTIL the flight went under airport control. Perhaps the companion priority will now be preserved all the way through to boarding.
That's the whole point here.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
What does this mean for the scenario where you are #2 & #3, and there are only 2 available seats? Do you and your partner get one of them, or does #4 get it?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
That's the whole point here.
Thanks for the clarification JonNYC!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BookerNYC
In four recent instances, my non-status companion was always listed immediately after me on the PALL list, and we got the upgrades every time. Maybe I've just been lucky with gate agents intervening to re-sort the list, but I'm skeptical -- since I've seen this at T-4, when the upgrade list first becomes available via the app.

So .. make of that what you wish!
That is the case with a non-Elite companion. Problem is when the companion has Elite status, but lower. Then under airport control they drop to their own status.

Hence it has been better if your companion was non-Elite.

Having the lower level Elite added back to the status of the higher Elite required manual process. At an AC - the agents know how to do it. But at a small airport (PSP for example), where the agents are contract employees they don't know how to do it and they say it is not possible.

Hopefully these changes fixes all this.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:18 pm

Not to hijack the thread - but when is the upgrade status list available on the AA app or online? I've checked in and still can't see the upgrade list 15 hours from boarding.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by rocketjoe79
Not to hijack the thread - but when is the upgrade status list available on the AA app or online? I've checked in and still can't see the upgrade list 15 hours from boarding.
4 hours from flight time.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I, for one, am glad they are finally fixing this. To me, this was a big bug in the upgrade program.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Spire, Hertz President Circle
I sure hope this applies to SWU's. Twice in the past year when the SWU didn't clear before the airport, I would see myself as #1 on the upgrade list and my companion like #6 or 7.

With this change I would hope/expect the companion priority to be that of right below myself.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by cova
That is the case with a non-Elite companion. Problem is when the companion has Elite status, but lower. Then under airport control they drop to their own status.

Hence it has been better if your companion was non-Elite.
Well that is very interesting and news to me! Thanks for the clarification.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I gather they may be publicizing this a bit soon.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bchandler02

Great. So now as a gold, I'm even lower on the list than a nobody travelling with an EXP.

Why doesn't AA just come out and say that anyone under EXP is a worthless peon to them? Way to go AA <end sarcasm>
You have always been so; you've apparently been unaware of that.

E.g. I saw a decorated Purple Heart WW II veteran at the gate, spoke to the GA making him my traveling companion. He jumped the list and got the single available seat with my stickers. Hate me.

(He'd never flown in F before, was en route to his daughter's home after his house had been lost to the Midwest floods, soon after losing his wife. His daughter happened to be in a training I gave weeks later, she recognized me as he'd pointed me out to her at the airport and told me this had been a huge experience for him at a time he was despondent from his losses.)

And soon now CK will trump EP; later in 2017, within status tier upgrade priority will be by rolling EQD spend, to boot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.