Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Priority List (“PALL”) Changes
Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017

Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days
within upgrade types; see below. See this thread.

"New Upgrade Priority Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Upgrades are currently prioritized by elite status and then time of request."

As of May 20 upgrade prioritization is:
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.

2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)

Updated 8 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Post Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

effective January 1, companions of an elite member will receive the same priority on the PALL list as the elite member.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
PALL = ?? (Priority Access List ??) (second L ?)

Is this for upgrade or just boarding group?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cova
PALL = ?? (Priority Access List ??) (second L ?)

Is this for upgrade or just boarding group?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html

And, this is for any entry on the PALL list.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:29 am
Suspended

Nice. Hopefully I can finally use my stickers!! 2016 has been a bad year that I have not been able to use one single stickers!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
On a recent SFO-CLT flight I was #1 and my wife #7. We were upgraded together at the gate and I didn't see anyone else offered? Early implementation, sUS policy, or just GA discretion.? Wife is Plat.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fanger
On a recent SFO-CLT flight I was #1 and my wife #7. We were upgraded together at the gate and I didn't see anyone else offered? Early implementation, sUS policy, or just GA discretion.? Wife is Plat.
If I had to guess, I'd guess GA discretion-- pretty common, from reports I've seen over the years.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

Great. So now as a gold, I'm even lower on the list than a nobody travelling with an EXP.

Why doesn't AA just come out and say that anyone under EXP is a worthless peon to them? Way to go AA <end sarcasm>
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bchandler02

Great. So now as a gold, I'm even lower on the list than a nobody travelling with an EXP.

Why doesn't AA just come out and say that anyone under EXP is a worthless peon to them? Way to go AA <end sarcasm>
Remember, CK is even higher than EP effective Jan 1-- if that helps at all
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:43 am

Is there some kinda Mayan calendar thing going on in 2017? Because it seems to be shaping out to be a remarkably awful year.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Seems like AA copying DL. One companion on the same PNR inherits the status of highest elite for upgrade purposes for about a month or so. They announced it at beginning of year.

Anyone below a Diamond there gets screwed. Especially since all levels get free upgrades on DL.

The one positive with DLs policy is that it only applies if on the same PNR. You can't simply ask that your friend/coworker/whomever be upgraded and they get your status for determination.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
A competent agent has always been able to get the companion up to the EXP's level in the list for domestic flights, sometimes even higher in my experience. I have never had an agent able to do that for international. It's nice that this will now be automated, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Any change that moves someone up the list necessarily requires that others move down. It improves the value of the companion upgrade benefit to the higher level elite and diminishes it for those lower on the list. In any case, this fix just makes the airport PALL list consistent with how automated upgrades prior to the airport are handled.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Will this apply to SWUs used on international flights as well (e.g., EXP + non-status companion flying to/from Europe), if the upgrade does not clear until airport control?
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Will this apply to SWUs used on international flights as well (e.g., EXP + non-status companion flying to/from Europe), if the upgrade does not clear until airport control?
This is what I would like to know as well.

I keep giving my non-status wife my seat because only one of us clears the upgrade usually.

I miss the old AA.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 2:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callmedtop
It's hard for me to tell at this point as the preceding section on this (announcing the coming change to 5 tiers, referencing the numeric suffixes added to priority list codes, lists "(VIP/UPG/OS/RI/RV)" (again, in relation to the above.)

But seeing as this change (change to companion listing) is promulgated immediately thereafter, well, I'm **assuming** it might apply there as well, but, most definitely do not know at this juncture.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Seems like AA copying DL.
Perhaps, but I think DL copied US. And as many other things, the, "New AA," is becoming more and more like, "the old US."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.