Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

just purchased ticket shows no free bags for Plat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Explorer card, AA Plat, Copa Plat, IHG Plat,

I just purchased a ticket for mid December MIA-PUJ . The ticket confirmation email shows no free checked bags and I am plat and also paid for ticket with AA citi card. I haven't flown much for 6 months but I couldn't find the place to request upgrading with 500 milers which I have plenty of. I want to request 2 of us use the 500 milers. Is this something new or do I need to call to get put on the list
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The ticket receipt (by DOT reg) shows the standard allowance for carriers and class of service. It doesn't reflect elite status nor credit card benefits where applicable.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The ticket receipt (by DOT reg) shows the standard allowance for carriers and class of service. It doesn't reflect elite status nor credit card benefits where applicable.
That is not my experience. I am Platinum and I purchased an "N" fare from BTR>DFW and this is on my email confirmation:

Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -BTRDFW-No free checked bags/ American Airlines 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-BTRDFW-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-BTRDFW-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCES AND/OR DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY

As you can see, it clearly states that I receive two checked bags at no charge. The only way I qualify for that allowance is due to the Platinum elite status.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by controller1
That is not my experience. I am Platinum and I purchased an "N" fare from BTR>DFW and this is on my email confirmation:

Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -BTRDFW-No free checked bags/ American Airlines 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-BTRDFW-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-BTRDFW-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCES AND/OR DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY

As you can see, it clearly states that I receive two checked bags at no charge. The only way I qualify for that allowance is due to the Platinum elite status.
Perhaps the OP stopped re3ading at the No free checked bags remark, as shown in your receipt statement?

It is interesting that AA receipts now state a fee of $0 for the elite bags. I wonder if receipts do the same think for credit card allowances.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - Please go back an re-read your e-ticket receipt carefully. Your baggage allowance is zero free bags and you then have a 2-bag waiver. Thus, the receipt should show "no free bags" in your allowance and then a fee of $0 for each of the first two bags (as it is required to do by DOT rules). That reflects the allowance and the waiver.

If you see a fee for either the first or the second bag, call AA and get it straightened out as what you see in the e-ticket receipt is what the kiosk will see when you go to print your bag tags and you will then waste time standing around getting it corrected at the airport.

Let us know whether the e-ticket receipt is as above.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by rrohio
I just purchased a ticket for mid December MIA-PUJ . The ticket confirmation email shows no free checked bags and I am plat and also paid for ticket with AA citi card. I haven't flown much for 6 months but I couldn't find the place to request upgrading with 500 milers which I have plenty of. I want to request 2 of us use the 500 milers. Is this something new or do I need to call to get put on the list
- I have try to look for availability of MIA-PUJ-MIA on Dec 15-19 from my son account who is PLT. Midway through booking process I do see a screen for requesting upgrades. I also remember that the e-ticket confirmation e-mail does not have links for requesting upgrades. You have to login into your aa.com account to do that. Interestingly, I also noticed the following in the "Main Cabin" fare description:
"Preferred seats on American flights
Eligible for upgrades on American flights
Up to 1 EQM per mile flown on eligible flights
Changes allowed (fee may apply)"

I read this that AA is now ready for implementing basic fares that will be
- not upgradable
- no even miserable dollar-spent miles
- no changes allowed
- perhaps, no seat assignment or carefully selected middle seats at the very back of the plane.

Enjoy the new AA! It is not the same as even 6 month ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.