Search

Travel to India (AA or BA or ???)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist/ SPG Gold / American Platinum / Southwest A-List
Travel to India (AA or BA or ???)

[Sorry in advance as I tried to search this subject without much luck]

In looking at economy flight options to India (I'm a AA Platinum member), any thoughts about booking through AA or through BA? The same flights are $300 more on AA than on BA, and then on BA you can pay a little extra and select your seats.

With all of the changes, etc., it looks like I'd receive minimal AA value from booking with BA directly, is the extra $300 worth it?

Any other recommendations or thoughts? I heard that any AA status does not give you anything really on BA.

My desired route goes from Las Vegas thru Heathrow to Delhi (and then from Mumbai back thru Heathrow to Las Vegas).

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA
There is no added benefit to booking on AA as compared to BA for the exact same flight. You should consider BA Premium Economy at $1800 - BA 787's in economy class (London to India) are really not comfortable at all. If you are not wedded to oneworld, why not try Emirates? -- $850 from LAX? or Asiana at $750, or even Air China/China Eastern at $480 from LAX... or China Airlines through Taipei in Prem Econ for $1600. Lots of choices.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
As an aa platinum, you won't have to pay extra to select seats on BA
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You would have to be mental to voluntarily book BA 787 Y!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Qatar Airways? E.g. LAS-LAX-DOH-India and return.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I frequently use AA or CX to HKG and then CX to India. CX is far superior to BA in many respects.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Husband does Qatar through Doha to India. Fairly easy connection. Arrival times into India suck but I think they do for almost everyone.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:58 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I would indeed look at QR options. If you decide to fly with BA seat assignment is indeed for free for OWS.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I do this route every month. Often the BA and AA prices are different

I book on AA stock (via Citi TYP @ 0.016 ) if its cheaper or BA when its cheaper after using AARP+Chase discount. Sometimes I've paid a bit more for AA when I plan to use my SWU's
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Acid
I do this route every month. Often the BA and AA prices are different

I book on AA stock (via Citi TYP @ 0.016 ) if its cheaper or BA when its cheaper after using AARP+Chase discount. Sometimes I've paid a bit more for AA when I plan to use my SWU's
1. I do this far less frequently than you.
2. I book for leisure so at least 1 week duration.

With that said - I have yet to find AA (001 ticket) to be cheaper than BA with AARP discount in Y, PE, or J.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I flew Orlando-London Gatwick-:Larnaca in August and found a better rate on Travelocity than either the AA or BA site rates. It had a BA ticket number and I had no problem selecting seats from the BA website as an AA PLT.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
With ME3 choices + CX, SQ etc I fail to see why you want to be "tortured" by BA ?
I do QR, EY, regularly. Their FF plans are not so good. But then I use AA mikes to book.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
Like others here, I recommend Qatar or Etihad. Found the hard and soft products through Doha or Abu Dhabi more to my liking to India than going through Heathrow on BA
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AirP
Like others here, I recommend Qatar or Etihad. Found the hard and soft products through Doha or Abu Dhabi more to my liking to India than going through Heathrow on BA
I disagree here - I booked the famous Xmas Etihad mistake fare last year and booked 5 roundtrips JFK-India. There were times I wished I had paid more to fly BA. Yes, BA has gone downhill since and I notice all the negative changes. EY,EK, QR is fine for a one off trip - but for regulars - its an absolute pain.

I was also pleasantly surprised with Delta + Jet Airways combination.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Acid
EY,EK, QR is fine for a one off trip - but for regulars - its an absolute pain.
Could you briefly elaborate why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.