Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BobbySteel
Elite Qualifying Dollar Offset for
American Airlines AAdvantage Barclaycard Aviator cardholders through 2018.

IMPORTANT NOTE Aviator Red won’t earn any EQD in 2019, Aviator Silver will only earn $3,000 EQD for a $50,000 spend as of 2019, according to Gary Leff, One Mile at a Time. If you hit the $50,000 spend in Dec it will be credited in January but credited towards the prior year, so it can push you over the line after Dec has ended.

See this FT thread for details.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/[/QUOTE]

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

However anyone that paid the annual fee on a card in, say, June in expectation of using the benefit in 2019 is out of luck with the benefit, and out of luck with the fee.
See separate thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1936835-barclaycard-aviator-red-no-eqd-silver-3k-eqd-only-2019-a.html for further discussion of this topic.

You can apply for American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® at the airport, in flight or at https://home.barclaycardus.com.

If you've been a holder of a Red card prior to 2017, or as a new applicant have had the Red card 90 days, you may apply for the American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®.

From aa.com (link) "Reach elite status faster

Only Silver cards now qualify to earn EQD.
  • AAdvantage Aviator Silver MasterCard accounts can earn up to $3,000 EQDs by spending $50,000 on qualifying net purchases each calendar year.

From Barclaycard Aviator Silver (link to T&C PDF)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

How can I sign up for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® offered by Barclaycard US?

Starting in January 2017 customers will be able to apply for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red MasterCard® on their next trip either in the airport or during their flight by asking their flight attendant for an application.

How can I apply for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard®?

Current AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cardmembers can contact Barclaycard US customer service to inquire about upgrading to the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard®.
NOTE:Citi AAdvantage cardholders are not beneficiaries of EQD spend waivers at this time; this does not preclude future announcement that they will or won't.
Print Wikipost

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AAEXP 3+MM, Marriott Plt and Plt for life, Hyatt Diamond
Is there anyway to get your spend in 2016 with AA? I have purchased tickets on three different credit cards and through several sources. I am not sure if $12,000 is a huge hill to climb or just a typical year.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
I'm also confused about the EQD add - is this an either/or thing like it's been in the past? So for example to reach Platinum it's with EITHER 50k EGM's, OR 60 segments, OR $6,000 EQD's? Or is it all of the above, or two out of three??

In other words, even if you fly only...10,000 miles a year, if you have the Aviator Silver card and spend more than $50k, you still get Platinum status?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:57 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by josmul123
So let me get this straight... They push the crap out of these Citi AA cards for what? A year? Two? Then they hand off the only EQD waiver to a card that was supposedly being phased out because it was US Airways' card?
I have no doubt that Citi could have offered the EQD waiver on their cards if they were willing to pay for it.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:57 am

I wish they would give at least some sort of bar to hit to get CK and not some secret number whether it is dollar spend or being an "influencer"

I am at 150k EQM for the year and haven't flow 100% AA. Sometimes I wonder if I should look around and maybe look over at Delta again..
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
I'm also confused about the EQD add - is this an either/or thing like it's been in the past? So for example to reach Platinum it's with EITHER 50k EGM's, OR 60 segments, OR $6,000 EQD's? Or is it all of the above, or two out of three??

In other words, even if you fly only...10,000 miles a year, if you have the Aviator Silver card and spend more than $50k, you still get Platinum status?
No. EQD is a threshold to meet in addition to EQM or EQS. EQD alone does not give status.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Thumbs down

Well this is a <gesture of disregard> to those of us who have had the Citi Executive card since it came out in 2011 and have been paying $450 a year for it.

This might be the nail in the coffin with my relationship with AA. Now if I want to be equal with other EXPs, I need to spent $50k a year on a card I don't even have yet so i can be get that extra $6k EQD for upgrade priority. Way to complicate and mess up the program even more Dougie.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 8, 2016 at 1:13 am
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Well that may be the end of the Cit MC AA Exec Card for me.
Safe traveks
- I have cancelled my City AA card two months ago. The main problem is not EQD, etc. but the lousy value of AA miles because of lack of discounted awards.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Phasers
Well this is a <gesture of disregard> to those of us who have had the Citi Executive card since it came out in 2011 and have been paying $450 a year for it.

This might be the nail in the coffin with my relationship with AA. Now if I want to be equal with other EXPs, I need to spent $50k a year on a card I don't even have yet so i can be get that extra $6k EQD for upgrade priority. Way to complicate and mess up the program even more Dougie.
Yep, pretty well stated.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 8, 2016 at 1:13 am Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:11 am

Do you receive both EQM and EQD with spend on the Silver Aviator? Has the EQM portion been removed? If not, between the Citi and Barclay cards you could earn 20k EQM and $6k EQD. Granted it would be $40k on the Citi and $50k on the Barclay, so $90k worth of spend.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Phasers

- the rules became too complicated for general public. Then having a CC that gives you EQM and EQD and also some $99 certificates upon reaching certain spending - who needs that! This is just ridiculous!
I have a colleague who was receiving $100 off certificates for AA tickets two years in a row but who would always forget using those. The result: a frustrated customer who cancelled his AA City CC and switched flying to United.

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 8, 2016 at 1:14 am Reason: Edited quote of edited post
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I don't understand why American is screwing their Advantage Executive card holders? This makes no sense. They're providing a EQD benefit for a British banks' card? Hell I might as well go to BA.com and see if they are giving benefits to Citi members.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by enviroian
I don't understand why American is screwing their Advantage Executive card holders? This makes no sense. They're providing a EQD benefit for a British banks' card? Hell I might as well go to BA.com and see if they are giving benefits to Citi members.
I suspect AA is just in a cash grab mode. Probably had bidding between Barclays and Citi and Barclays offered more money.

But I do feel screwed. This will be my last year with the Citi AA Executive card. Notice how the timing of this announcement was right after the annual fee posted and has been paid for the fifth year in a row for those of us who have had the Exec card since the beginning.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by sdix
This seems like a huge loss for Citi..... Given the benefits that you do get with the Citi Advantage Plat Select M/C how does it make sense to shaft their cardholders on the $ qualification?
Given that Barclay's (or their predecessor in the US, Juniper) helped fund the HP-US merger, it really shouldn't be a surprise.
And the fact that the Barclay's card was the card for, "the new US," for so long. US did have other cards, but eventually everything shifted to Barclay's.

As a former US (and HP) flyer, I'm not one bit surprised at this, nor the change to have upgrades by status then EQD over the past rolling 12 months. US did it by status then the last rolling months of EQM on US (so partners didn't count).

Does anyone know if partner EQD count now?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- .... The main problem is not EQD, etc. but the lousy value of AA miles because of lack of discounted awards.
+1
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- I have cancelled my City AA card two months ago. The main problem is not EQD, etc. but the lousy value of AA miles because of lack of discounted awards.
I would go farther to say that the available awards in general are quite poor, especially for any TATL or TPAC flights. The most infuriating aspect is finding availability, but realizing that the one day you can travel is 3x the required miles of all the surrounding days on which you simply can't make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.