Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BobbySteel
Elite Qualifying Dollar Offset for
American Airlines AAdvantage Barclaycard Aviator cardholders through 2018.

IMPORTANT NOTE Aviator Red won’t earn any EQD in 2019, Aviator Silver will only earn $3,000 EQD for a $50,000 spend as of 2019, according to Gary Leff, One Mile at a Time. If you hit the $50,000 spend in Dec it will be credited in January but credited towards the prior year, so it can push you over the line after Dec has ended.

See this FT thread for details.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/[/QUOTE]

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

However anyone that paid the annual fee on a card in, say, June in expectation of using the benefit in 2019 is out of luck with the benefit, and out of luck with the fee.
See separate thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1936835-barclaycard-aviator-red-no-eqd-silver-3k-eqd-only-2019-a.html for further discussion of this topic.

You can apply for American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® at the airport, in flight or at https://home.barclaycardus.com.

If you've been a holder of a Red card prior to 2017, or as a new applicant have had the Red card 90 days, you may apply for the American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®.

From aa.com (link) "Reach elite status faster

Only Silver cards now qualify to earn EQD.
  • AAdvantage Aviator Silver MasterCard accounts can earn up to $3,000 EQDs by spending $50,000 on qualifying net purchases each calendar year.

From Barclaycard Aviator Silver (link to T&C PDF)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

How can I sign up for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® offered by Barclaycard US?

Starting in January 2017 customers will be able to apply for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red MasterCard® on their next trip either in the airport or during their flight by asking their flight attendant for an application.

How can I apply for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard®?

Current AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cardmembers can contact Barclaycard US customer service to inquire about upgrading to the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard®.
NOTE:Citi AAdvantage cardholders are not beneficiaries of EQD spend waivers at this time; this does not preclude future announcement that they will or won't.
Print Wikipost

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Some people were wanting an EQD reduction for credit card spending
AA is offering an EQD reduction for spend on certain cards
The amount is $3k for $25k spend and another $3k at $50k spend

How is this complicated? As far as messing it up , it seems to provide that which a number of people wished for

That it is a card that some do not have currently have, hardly complicates or messes it up.

If wanted, people can apply for and use that card - seems simple enough
You can't apply for this card today...

I was hoping it would be more like a waiver for DL....also makes the Citi card feel silly.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
Originally Posted by metallo

This is good news for elites with ample financial flexibility. It's bad news for everyone else.
This is it for me. All the changes that have occurred to the AAdvantage program over the last 18 months or so simply changed how and when I fly. A few years ago it was almost every week on lowest fares. Now it's 90%+ P fares so I don't really need to worry about status, upgrade windows etc.

I don't travel as often as I used to, but when I do it's always upfront domestically and in Business internationally. I need to plan more to manage costs involved using this approach, but it works just fine. DFW to ORD/LAX/SFO/LGA in First costs me about $200-400 more than coach and that's a price I'm quite prepared to pay.

I just hope that the more recent changes don't force more people into the same position so that costs go up for Premium cabins.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:50 pm

yeah, what are the benefits on the Citi card that would make it worth keeping at $450 a year now? i kept both cards waiting for this announcement but now feel that keeping the Citi doesnt make sense...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by TheSinister
Correct me if I am wrong, but these Aviator card are only available to US residents? I am Canadian and I have tried to apply but it is asking for an SSN which I obviously don't have.

Did AA forget about non-US frequent flyers?

EDIT:

Yep they forgot about non- US residents. I logged into my AA account and clicked on the credit card section, selected my country, and saw two crappy credit cards that are not Aviator cards. I guess that's the nail in the coffin for my EXP status.....
Couldn't find any such link, but I thought the only cc here in Canada related to AA was the RBC Avion Visa, and it's just a points transfer card, not an AA affinity card with other benefits. The Canadian Diners (aka Mastercard) no longer shows an AA transfer as of earlier this year.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ethang801
yeah, what are the benefits on the Citi card that would make it worth keeping at $450 a year now? i kept both cards waiting for this announcement but now feel that keeping the Citi doesnt make sense...
I imagine if a large number of customers cancel their Citi card in favor of the Aviator Silver, Citi will reconsider whatever deal AA offered them that they didn't accept. And we can always hope that Barclay releases a version of the card with AC membership...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
For EQD calculations does the spend count for the year the ticket is purchased or flown? For instance, if I book a ticket now for travel in 2017, what year would that count towards for EQD purposes?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
People already reported this, but I got this response to AA when I asked them about the Citi cards (Along with another response saying you'd still earn EQM for $40k spend)

At this time we aren't making any changes to the Citi cards, but please keep a look out at the airports for Barclay application opportunities in early 2017.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by outwrdbound
Does anyone know if we will be able to see our 2016 EQD? I will end the year around 150 EQS, but am concerned about EQD as 12k seems like a lot (perhaps it isnt, I really have no clue what I spend with AA each year). I am forced to use a corporate liable CC for all work related travel, so I can't easily check these numbers nor will the AA Barclays be an option for me.
You can work out fairly easily for the last 6 months of the year, since RDMs are based on $$ - at least I assume that the RDM $ figure is the same as the EQD figure.

Going back through my last 6 months, I earnt 39000 EQMs and 3860 EQDs (some based on dividing RDM by 11 and some on 10% of the BA distance). If the 2017 year runs at that rate, then 100000 EQMs again next year will give me just under 10000 EQDs - and the credit card EQDs will be very important and hopefully just enough.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
For EQD calculations does the spend count for the year the ticket is purchased or flown? For instance, if I book a ticket now for travel in 2017, what year would that count towards for EQD purposes?
I would review the wiki and thread here first:

FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

That discussion has been ongoing for some time. IIRC, it's based on the timing of the flight, not the timing of the purchase.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I have to give props to Barclaycard US for getting the win for the EQD option even though it is not really a waiver. I don't see AA being the one to cause this, but having two US issuers of cobranded cards gives the airline a massive advantage.

I also would like EQDs to get posted for 2016 to help give us an idea of how AA would have calculated it. I don't know if they will do this, but it would really be a smart idea I think.

Rasheed
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
You can work out fairly easily for the last 6 months of the year, since RDMs are based on $$ - at least I assume that the RDM $ figure is the same as the EQD figure.

Going back through my last 6 months, I earnt 39000 EQMs and 3860 EQDs (some based on dividing RDM by 11 and some on 10% of the BA distance). If the 2017 year runs at that rate, then 100000 EQMs again next year will give me just under 10000 EQDs - and the credit card EQDs will be very important and hopefully just enough.
I'm hoping that that just add a column in the Activity/Upgrades section of the account summary. They already list EQM, EQS, and RDM there. Of course, I'm not likely to hold my breath that AA would make a change that's useful.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ethang801

I have both cards as well (with the silver). I got the Silver Barclay because of the 3X. I have gotten credit for the bonus EQM but never needed it as I travel more then 100K/year.

Only reason to keep the $450 Citibank card is for AC club access. While AA says no on Citibank, I have to assume that a similar requirement will be added to the Citi cards - and they likely won't add together. Likely $6K max total both cards (like the 10% reward rebate up to 10K miles).
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Does anyone else think Citi is simply planning on ending its relationship with AA? They have to do it slowly, but with the changes to the Prestige card, and now this, I'd venture to guess that Citi didn't have any intention of continuing with AA. They have a relatively strong credit card portfolio and don't need airlines. It looks like they see the writing on the wall that people are slowly becoming less and less loyal to individual airlines (hence Citi's and other banks' card offerings that provide similar benefits to traveling with any airline).

It seems like a very slim chance that they improve their offerings with AA as they've already been publicly hinting at a diminished desire to work with AA since July of this year while at the same time throwing a lot into the ring for Costco. I bet AA threw them a little bone to hang on a little longer so they could get something better out of Barclays, but I would be surprised if it was ever Citi's intention to be exclusive with AA. The lack of elite qualifying benefits is the death nail of the Executive card and Citi obviously knows that. Maybe they continue to offer the regular AA card but in all likelihood it will just be a legacy offering that they won't push, and you can say goodbye to signup bonuses for it.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Actually now reading all this, I wonder if it's better keeping the Citi Exec card and not getting the Aviator,. If I need to earn EQD's as well as EQM's and I get 10k free EQM's every year on the Citi Card, then I'll spend a little more on ticket purchases to meet the spend as it's a lot cheaper doing that than spending 50k to get 6k EQDs on the Aviator card. Plus the Citi Exec Card has lounge access.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Actually now reading all this, I wonder if it's better keeping the Citi Exec card and not getting the Aviator,. If I need to earn EQD's as well as EQM's and I get 10k free EQM's every year on the Citi Card, then I'll spend a little more on ticket purchases to meet the spend as it's a lot cheaper doing that than spending 50k to get 6k EQDs on the Aviator card. Plus the Citi Exec Card has lounge access.
The Aviator Silver card gives you 5,000 EQM at $20k spend and another 5,000 EQM when you hit $40k spend. IMO it makes sense to dump the Citi Exec MC unless you're using it for club access as with the Silver card you can get both the 10k EQM and 6k EQD by spending $50k.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.