Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BobbySteel
Elite Qualifying Dollar Offset for
American Airlines AAdvantage Barclaycard Aviator cardholders through 2018.

IMPORTANT NOTE Aviator Red won’t earn any EQD in 2019, Aviator Silver will only earn $3,000 EQD for a $50,000 spend as of 2019, according to Gary Leff, One Mile at a Time. If you hit the $50,000 spend in Dec it will be credited in January but credited towards the prior year, so it can push you over the line after Dec has ended.

See this FT thread for details.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/[/QUOTE]

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

However anyone that paid the annual fee on a card in, say, June in expectation of using the benefit in 2019 is out of luck with the benefit, and out of luck with the fee.
See separate thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1936835-barclaycard-aviator-red-no-eqd-silver-3k-eqd-only-2019-a.html for further discussion of this topic.

You can apply for American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® at the airport, in flight or at https://home.barclaycardus.com.

If you've been a holder of a Red card prior to 2017, or as a new applicant have had the Red card 90 days, you may apply for the American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard®.

From aa.com (link) "Reach elite status faster

Only Silver cards now qualify to earn EQD.
  • AAdvantage Aviator Silver MasterCard accounts can earn up to $3,000 EQDs by spending $50,000 on qualifying net purchases each calendar year.

From Barclaycard Aviator Silver (link to T&C PDF)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines® AAdvantage® Aviator™ Silver World Elite MasterCard® Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

How can I sign up for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® offered by Barclaycard US?

Starting in January 2017 customers will be able to apply for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Red MasterCard® on their next trip either in the airport or during their flight by asking their flight attendant for an application.

How can I apply for the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard®?

Current AAdvantage® AviatorTM MasterCard® cardmembers can contact Barclaycard US customer service to inquire about upgrading to the AAdvantage® AviatorTM Silver MasterCard®.
NOTE:Citi AAdvantage cardholders are not beneficiaries of EQD spend waivers at this time; this does not preclude future announcement that they will or won't.
Print Wikipost

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
Originally Posted by dw
I fully expect that when Barclaycard starts taking applications again in 2017, the Silver will be one of the options.

The Silver was introduced after Barclaycard transitioned the former US cards to AA cards, and was no longer allowed to take new applications. (And the one year restriction was because card issuers have interpreted the CARD Act to not allow an increase of the annual fee on a new card product until 12 months after the account's opening.)
here's hoping ^
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:37 am

I didn't see the link to aa.com in OMAT:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...am-updates.jsp
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
I guess the only good news is that if you are EXP, the number of EXP will be culled expeditiously in 2018.
Here's hoping ^

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
Correct me if I am wrong, but these Aviator card are only available to US residents? I am Canadian and I have tried to apply but it is asking for an SSN which I obviously don't have.

Did AA forget about non-US frequent flyers?

EDIT:

Yep they forgot about non- US residents. I logged into my AA account and clicked on the credit card section, selected my country, and saw two crappy credit cards that are not Aviator cards. I guess that's the nail in the coffin for my EXP status.....

Last edited by TheSinister; Nov 7, 2016 at 10:52 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Well that may be the end of the Cit MC AA Exec Card for me.

Safe travels

Last edited by GTITAN; Nov 7, 2016 at 11:08 am Reason: fixed typo in travels
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:41 am

Any idea what "up to" means? Is it graduated earning, or $25k = 3,000 EQD?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:42 am

This seems like a huge loss for Citi..... Given the benefits that you do get with the Citi Advantage Plat Select M/C how does it make sense to shaft their cardholders on the $ qualification?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Here's hoping ^
But if you notice, now Concierge Key is a "status" above EXP. Welcome to lubeless travel.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by RobertClouse
But if you notice, now Concierge Key is a "status" above EXP. Welcome to lubeless travel.
Welcome to Delta Not that it really matters anymore. As soon as I reach the bar they all keep moving it....
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by sdix
This seems like a huge loss for Citi..... Given the benefits that you do get with the Citi Advantage Plat Select M/C how does it make sense to shaft their cardholders on the $ qualification?
Yes, this seems odd. It's almost as if AA were out to extract as much as possible from both their banking "partners" and the people who fly on their planes.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
This is nonsense. What idiots at AA are making decisions on the credit cards?!? Clearly AAdvantage is becoming the least friendly of the Big 3.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by GTITAN
Well that may be the end of the Cit MC AA Exec Card for me.

Safe traveks
MAY be? What use is it anymore? Lounge Access? Does the Aviator Card give you lounge access? Ugh.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
So let me get this straight... They push the crap out of these Citi AA cards for what? A year? Two? Then they hand off the only EQD waiver to a card that was supposedly being phased out because it was US Airways' card?

Glad I haven't booked any travel for next year yet. I'm going to ride the EXP I'm getting in 10 days for a year then get out of the mileage game entirely.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
MAY be? What use is it anymore? Lounge Access? Does the Aviator Card give you lounge access? Ugh.
Ok, concede, will definitely get rid of if not fixed.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Here's hoping ^
I wonder how many/percent exp 's don't meet the spend threshold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.