Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BobbySteel
Elite Qualifying Dollar Offset for
American Airlines AAdvantage Barclaycard Aviator cardholders through 2018.

IMPORTANT NOTE Aviator Red wont earn any EQD in 2019, Aviator Silver will only earn $3,000 EQD for a $50,000 spend as of 2019, according to Gary Leff, One Mile at a Time. If you hit the $50,000 spend in Dec it will be credited in January but credited towards the prior year, so it can push you over the line after Dec has ended.

See this FT thread for details.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fying-dollars/[/QUOTE]

That article says, in part

For 2019 the benefit is being eliminated entirely except for Aviator Silver cardholders who will 3000 elite qualifying dollars after $50,000 spend (instead of earning 6000).

Anyone who signed up for an Aviator Red Mastercard, or upgraded to an Aviator Silver, between January 1 and October 31, 2018 will keep the pre-existing elite qualifying dollars benefit for 2019, and their benefit will change January 1, 2020.

However anyone that paid the annual fee on a card in, say, June in expectation of using the benefit in 2019 is out of luck with the benefit, and out of luck with the fee.
See separate thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1936835-barclaycard-aviator-red-no-eqd-silver-3k-eqd-only-2019-a.html for further discussion of this topic.

You can apply for American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Red MasterCard at the airport, in flight or at https://home.barclaycardus.com.

If you've been a holder of a Red card prior to 2017, or as a new applicant have had the Red card 90 days, you may apply for the American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard.

From aa.com (link) "Reach elite status faster

Only Silver cards now qualify to earn EQD.
  • AAdvantage Aviator Silver MasterCard accounts can earn up to $3,000 EQDs by spending $50,000 on qualifying net purchases each calendar year.

From Barclaycard Aviator Silver (link to T&C PDF)

Link to American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Red MasterCard Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

Link to American Airlines AAdvantage Aviator Silver World Elite MasterCard Reward Rules T&C (Feb 2017)

How can I sign up for the AAdvantage AviatorTM MasterCard offered by Barclaycard US?

Starting in January 2017 customers will be able to apply for the AAdvantage AviatorTM Red MasterCard on their next trip either in the airport or during their flight by asking their flight attendant for an application.

How can I apply for the AAdvantage AviatorTM Silver MasterCard?

Current AAdvantage AviatorTM MasterCard cardmembers can contact Barclaycard US customer service to inquire about upgrading to the AAdvantage AviatorTM Silver MasterCard.
NOTE:Citi AAdvantage cardholders are not beneficiaries of EQD spend waivers at this time; this does not preclude future announcement that they will or won't.
Print Wikipost

EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Arrow EQ Dollar / EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator Cards thru 2018 (master thread)

As reported by Lucky, gleff and probably others:

Originally Posted by gleff
American announced today that ConciergeKey members will receive top status on waitlists for flights and upgrades.

ConciergeKey will be ahead of Executive Platinums, and their domestic upgrades will begin to clear 120 hours in advance of travel versus the current 100 hour Executive Platinum upgrade window (Platinums will see their upgrade window shrink to 48 hours out.) (source)
Originally Posted by gleff
American announced this morning that they, too, will offer the ability to spend on a credit card rather than on tickets to meet Elite Qualifying Dollar requirements for elite status. But theyre doing it in a different way than Delta or United.

• Spend $25,000 on a Barclaycard-issued American AAdvantage credit card and earn 3000 elite qualifying dollars.
  • Spend $50,000 on a Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver credit card and earn an additional 3000 elite qualifying dollars.
(source)

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 7, 2016 at 11:40 am
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:55 am
Suspended

Arrow Some 2017 changes (EQD offset via Barclaycard Aviator cards)

All as I've predicted

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 7, 2016 at 11:40 am Reason: Moved blog link to OP and added some quotes
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Is the reason for the two CC's to keep the LUS people happy?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
The CC EQD credits is disappointing. I was hoping for something like Delta where you can get all EQD waived after certain amount.

I was hoping to at least be able to get 75% of the way on CC spending, but that doesn't look like it will happen either. The amount to spend just to get to 50% is also way too much. You only need $25k for Delta and for AA you need $50k and it is only gets you 50% of the way.

Based on trying to earn exp.

Last edited by nutwpinut; Nov 7, 2016 at 10:11 am Reason: Added EXP caveat
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Thanks for sharing!

For my personal situation, I always pass $25K on my Barclays' AAviator card, so that gives me 3,000 EQD's off the bat. With that, based on my spending in the past few years, I should re-qualify for Platinum without issue.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
The CC EQD credits is disappointing. I was hoping for something like Delta where you can get all EQD waived after certain amount.

I was hoping to at least be able to get 75% of the way on CC spending, but that doesn't look like it will happen either. The amount to spend just to get to 50% is also way too much. You only need $25k for Delta and for AA you need $50k and it is only gets you 50% of the way.
Don't think that is unrealistic since at AA EQD count for how the upgrades work. DL and UA just waive the EQD requirement and it is not considered in their upgrade process. The AA method seems fair.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Well this is good if you have a Barclays card. If you don't and have a Citi Advantage Executive card like me, you get jack.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Another big fat
The race to the bottom is starting to sound like John Oliver's rock bottom references the last few weeks.

I've been treated reasonably well as an AA Gold member over the last 6-7 years. But the upgrade thing is the final straw for me. I could get almost every other important gold benefit via credit cards, but upgrades were still something I needed Gold for and I actually went out of my way to fly AA this year when others were a better option so that I could keep that.

Free agency is becoming more and more attractive, I look forward to picking the best flight for my needs regardless of carrier and just buying the premium services that I want.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Quoting Ben...
The other interesting wrinkle in all this is that starting at some point next year American will change how upgrade priority works. Currently upgrades are prioritized based on status and then by time of booking, while going forward theyll be prioritized by status and then your 12-month rolling elite qualifying dollar total.

In other words, even if youd qualify for a status level anyway, it could make sense to spend on a card just to have a higher EQD total, since youll receive higher priority for upgrades.
I wonder if the EQDs earned on the card will really count toward the rolling EQD total for upgrade priority. That could be a game changer...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:16 am

This presents an interesting dilemma, use the Barclays Silver for more EQD for upgrade priority and get 3x miles or use the Amex Platinum for 5X points.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by YouGeeElWhy
Don't think that is unrealistic since at AA EQD count for how the upgrades work. DL and UA just waive the EQD requirement and it is not considered in their upgrade process. The AA method seems fair.
That's easy enough to fix, cap what the CC can count on upgrades. Although the cap at only 6,000 EQDs are good for the upgrade list, it is not good for qualifying, which is what I give my to.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
That's easy enough to fix, cap what the CC can count on upgrades. Although the cap at only 6,000 EQDs are good for the upgrade list, it is not good for qualifying, which is what I give my to.
Not to mention that (for me) it requires diverting $50k of spending from other cards that provide a much better value. All around, very disappointing indeed.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
My understanding is that the Aviator Silver is only a card you can get after holding the Aviator Red / Aviator Business for a full year. So for the most part, only former US Airways customers will have the ability to earn 6,000 EQD from CC spend in 2017 - legacy AA customers that have the Citi cards will have to sign up for a new Aviator card and can only get one that gives 3,000 EQD waiver in year 1. That's crap unless they let people sign up for the Silver card directly.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by roundtree
Not to mention that (for me) it requires diverting $50k of spending from other cards that provide a much better value. All around, very disappointing indeed.
I was thinking the same thing. My #1 spend is at Costco and I can't even use the AA CC at Costco.

I guess the only good news is that if you are EXP, the number of EXP will be culled expeditiously in 2018.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:32 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by asf-07
My understanding is that the Aviator Silver is only a card you can get after holding the Aviator Red / Aviator Business for a full year.... That's crap unless they let people sign up for the Silver card directly.
I fully expect that when Barclaycard starts taking applications again in 2017, the Silver will be one of the options.

The Silver was introduced after Barclaycard transitioned the former US cards to AA cards, and was no longer allowed to take new applications. (And the one year restriction was because card issuers have interpreted the CARD Act to not allow an increase of the annual fee on a new card product until 12 months after the account's opening.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.