Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Huge Schedule Change- Advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by scatlin
legalalien,
Thank you so much for your help. Your solution worked perfectly. I think I was too emotionally connected to my original flight plan for my sister to think straight.

The idea that I spent so much time and thought planning the right flight, and to have it changed so far in advance really bothered me. It would have been better if American had been more helpful, but you came to their rescue.

I am so glad to have found this forum.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
we have some great people on here
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by scatlin
Thanks I didn't realize that schedule changes like I mentioned were common or that you don't actually get the time you request is in the fine print.
Seems strange given the variety of ticket prices. I know it is a bad business practice to change a ticket and offer a less than desirable ticket at the same price. I now have to pay $722 for a ticket, I could have gotten for $300 when I bought my ticket, but I paid $560 due to the optimal time.

I picked the flight and paid extra because I knew my sister hates to fly- I talked her into visiting me after our mother died last year. She is from California and terrified of being stranded due to a snow storm.

I could have paid almost 400 cheaper to have a flight similar to the one that was rescheduled. I guess that's my point. I just don't see American giving very good customer service. They made a schedule change that was in their control.

You make a good point. Usually I don't care that much about schedule because I am familiar with flight delays- mechanical and weather related.

But when arranging for someone else- it's different. I am also not happy about waking at 4:00 am to drive to the airport right before the holidays. And again at 4:00 am to drive her to the airport. Yes there are other options, but she is my sister.

I could have paid less and had a nonstop and not have wake up at 4:00 in the morning. I can't be the only one that is frustrated.
To be honest, I think you are only rubbing it in and paining yourself looking at what you could have booked at the time. The question is what is available now.

You actually have 4 choices:

- Keep what you have and get their rather generous $100 compensation. I know it's a travel voucher but you could consider that this value allows you to pay for uber/cabs instead of picking up/dropping off your sister at some unpleasant time;

- Change flights. Effectively, your sister may hate flying but if it's either those times or better times with a stop she might wish to consider them;

- Get full refund and buy something else;

- Ask AA for flights to another destination instead, the obvious one being Chicago (or any other). I know it adds an unwelcome drive but depending on where exactly you are located, this may be an option of course.

There are no other choices. Other people will have got the same, maybe miles compensation offer instead of travel voucher but that's it, even with their top flyers they won't rebook on other airlines except for flights in countries where this is a legal obligation, which is not the case in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.