Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Kudos to AA for free award change despite Thanksgiving

Old Nov 6, 16, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold

Just wanted to share a positive experience with AA. I had booked a transatlantic award on BA metal that would get me from Europe back to the USA in time to get to work on Monday morning after Thanksgiving (11/28). BA up and cancelled that flight entirely last month, leaving me with an arrival Monday evening (= missing an extra day of work).

I either didn't notice or receive the schedule change email, so I only noticed on Friday. I called in, dreading the answer from AA since I would be asking to change to a return in C on Sunday 11/27 (e.g. probably one of the busiest travel days in the whole year). They told me they would put the request in to open up space on alternate AA metal flights, but I'd have to call back during business hours Tuesday afternoon if I didn't hear before that.

I was girding myself for an unpleasant call on Tuesday, but instead I got an automatic email today notifying me of the successful change. So now I'm flying back in C on AA metal (refunding ~$400 in BA fees, which the agent even called "a rip-off") on 11/27, and I'll even get to sleep in my own bed before showing up to work!

So definitely a great experience with AA.
Old Nov 6, 16, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have found that business class to and from Europe has excellent award availability for Thanksgiving. Apparently very few Americans travel overseas for Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 6, 16, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal View Post
We have found that business class to and from Europe has excellent award availability for Thanksgiving. Apparently very few Americans travel overseas for Thanksgiving.
Interesting, not for my route and dates, I guess. I was getting only awful routings (36 hours+) when I looked. Also part of my routing is intra-USA, which they *definitely* had to open space for.
Old Nov 7, 16, 12:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The domestic flights are full around Thanksgiving, especially for the return when everyone wants to travel on Sunday versus more spread out outbound flights starting the Thursday evening a full week before turkey day.

However, international flights can be empty, especially in business class as most USA business people don't travel then.
Old Nov 7, 16, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep in the last 5 years we've traveled to Chile, Spain, England and Amsterdam for Thanksgiving on business or first award tickets. It's much easier for us to get than any other week that the kids are off school.

Search this Thread