American Airlines website ticketing error

Old Nov 6, 16, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

American Airlines website ticketing error

I am not certain if this is where I should post this thread. If not, the moderators may move it elsewhere.

The story:

Two months ago, my partner and I purchased two round trip tickets for domestic travel within the United States. I witnessed my partner input the correct departure and return dates for our travel in AA's website. We did not, however, check the dates when we received our confirmation email until two weeks before departure. When I reviewed the dates, they were incorrect. We contacted American Airlines and explained to them what had happened. They apologized but refuse to admit a glitch with their online ticket purchasing system. Anyway, we had to pay an additional $250 each to purchase the tickets with the correct departure and return dates. We've never faced this issue before, and we are certain that we typed the correct dates we planned for our trip. One of us would have caught the mistake when we were completing the order. We should have checked the confirmation email for the correct dates, but we didn't. Has anyone else experienced this with American Airlines or another company?
Old Nov 6, 16, 7:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Moving to the American Airlines forum.

TWA884
Travel Tools moderator
Old Nov 6, 16, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP
What were the dates you intended to purchase, and what were the dates that appeared on your ticket?
Old Nov 6, 16, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ray1966 View Post
When I reviewed the dates, they were incorrect. We contacted American Airlines and explained to them what had happened. They apologized but refuse to admit a glitch with their online ticket purchasing system. Anyway, we had to pay an additional $250 each to purchase the tickets with the correct departure and return dates. We've never faced this issue before, and we are certain that we typed the correct dates we planned for our trip. One of us would have caught the mistake when we were completing the order. We should have checked the confirmation email for the correct dates, but we didn't. Has anyone else experienced this with American Airlines or another company?
That's a new one. When the itinerary was displayed just prior to purchase, were the dates correct? Or did you not look at the trip dates at all between inputting them into the search form and checking the confirmation email 2 weeks to departure?

I'm usually paranoid about booking mistakes, so I double-check dates and times at every step of the way.
Old Nov 6, 16, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
I have booked thousands and thousands of tickets on AA.com over the past almost 20 years. Never seen AA.com create a date error...only human error creating a date error.

Without more details I would not count on AA "admitting" anything. I doubt there is anything here to admit. They provide 2 or 3 places to confirm a date before purchase. Plenty of time to validate and make adjustments.

Sorry to the OP but I can't see this as an AA issue.
Old Nov 6, 16, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davie355 View Post
What were the dates you intended to purchase, and what were the dates that appeared on your ticket?
We entered the departure date November 16 and the return date November 21. When we looked at the confirmation email, our return trip said November 17. We have never booked a flight with the wrong dates. So we were surprised when we found out that the return flight was not what we had originally requested. We are baffled because we double checked every step when we were choosing the dates for our trip before we purchased the tickets.
Old Nov 6, 16, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AAExpDFW View Post
I have booked thousands and thousands of tickets on AA.com over the past almost 20 years. Never seen AA.com create a date error...only human error creating a date error.

Without more details I would not count on AA "admitting" anything. I doubt there is anything here to admit. They provide 2 or 3 places to confirm a date before purchase. Plenty of time to validate and make adjustments.

Well, I thought I would check to see if this was an isolated incident or if others have had similar problems with AA or other airlines.
Old Nov 6, 16, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
That's a new one. When the itinerary was displayed just prior to purchase, were the dates correct? Or did you not look at the trip dates at all between inputting them into the search form and checking the confirmation email 2 weeks to departure?

I'm usually paranoid about booking mistakes, so I double-check dates and times at every step of the way.
We both checked to see if we had entered the correct dates before purchasing tickets. We had. That's why we were surprised when we found out that the return flight was not what we had selected. In hindsight, we should have checked the confirmation email for the correct dates, but we didn't at the time.
Old Nov 6, 16, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ray1966 View Post
We both checked to see if we had entered the correct dates before purchasing tickets. We had. That's why we were surprised when we found out that the return flight was not what we had selected. In hindsight, we should have checked the confirmation email for the correct dates, but we didn't at the time.
Did you by chance go back and forth in the browser window before confirming your purchase? Or perhaps have more than one browser window open and conducted any searches on aa.com in both windows?
Old Nov 7, 16, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Does the November 16th flight leave close to midnight?
Old Nov 7, 16, 3:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW View Post

While I'm not aware of any current widespread date issues with AA.com bookings, it's not unprecedented. I recall there were some major issues with this in February 2013.
Old Nov 7, 16, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
Does the November 16th flight leave close to midnight?
No, it leaves at 6:00 am. But the November 21st return date is 12:08 a.m.
Old Nov 7, 16, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justhere View Post
Did you by chance go back and forth in the browser window before confirming your purchase? Or perhaps have more than one browser window open and conducted any searches on aa.com in both windows?
I doubt it. But good question.
Old Nov 7, 16, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't take this as a criticism, but you can imagine how many people call carriers and swear that there was a machine vs. human error when they need a fee-free change. If you look at FT, you will see how many seemingly upstanding people don't even remotely mind a bit of fraud when it comes to this.

That is compounded by the fact that US law, as AA applied it, permits a no penalty cancellation within 24 hours of confirmation, no matter the fare rules (for travel outside of 7 days as this was). Thus, there is always a fail-safe.

This is not an issue which can be resolved by phone, but AA does have the capability of looking at how this was booked, e.g., what the input was through the web. I would send a short webform note to AA asking that it examine the records of the PNR here for the possibility that you as the consumer entered Date X and that the system booked Date Y, notwithstanding that you should have caught the error later in the booking process or in your e-ticket receipt. If so, ask that AA refund the fees.

Beyond that, you are stuck with AA's response which may be nothing. As others note, and not to berate you, it is always prudent to double-check everything from e-ticket receipts to baggage tag receipts, boarding passes and so on.
Old Nov 7, 16, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
The only travel date errors I've experienced on AA.com are my own.

I'm thinking OP entered the correct dates, then saw the tabs for other days +/-3 with lower prices, clicked on one of them and booked without noticing. I've done it myself.

This is most likely human error - rather than system error, unfortunately.

AA has always been really good about corrected my errors, fee-free, if notified quickly.

Search this Thread