Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAS schedule change do I have enough time?

Old Oct 29, 16, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are heading to Vegas in November. We received an e-mail advising us the arrival time to Las Vegas is ~40 minutes later than we had anticipated. We have purchased show tickets for a 10:00PM show and are scheduled to land in Vegas at 8:25PM. How quick/efficient is the baggage claim in LAS, and what are the odds we land before the listed arrival time? The current flight time is showing 5 hours exactly. It looks like most Vegas flights and Flight Tracker for the same flight show a fly time of 4-4.5 hours.

We have purchased first class seats, does this prioritize our luggage making it available in baggage claim first? Also, there looks to be an indirect flight we may be able to switch too, but has a 45 minute layover in LAX. I have never flown through LAX, but would think that is a pretty tight window to make the connecting flight. Any advice?

Thanks.
Old Oct 29, 16, 5:20 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by zmster2033 View Post
Hello,

My girlfriend and I are heading to Vegas in November. We received an e-mail advising us the arrival time to Las Vegas is ~40 minutes later than we had anticipated. We have purchased show tickets for a 10:00PM show and are scheduled to land in Vegas at 8:25PM. How quick/efficient is the baggage claim in LAS, and what are the odds we land before the listed arrival time? The current flight time is showing 5 hours exactly. It looks like most Vegas flights and Flight Tracker for the same flight show a fly time of 4-4.5 hours.

Thanks.
In my experience, baggage will take at least 40 minutes from landing. LAS takes forever.
Old Oct 29, 16, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you sir. Does having first class seats make any difference with this? Do they prioritize your luggage in this case? Also, is a 45 minute layover at LAX plausible to make? Their is a flight we could potentially shift too that would get us to Vegas at 7:30 but would connect through LAX. The 45 minute layover scares me as I have never flown through there.
Old Oct 29, 16, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
In my experience, baggage will take at least 40 minutes from landing. LAS takes forever.

Yep. And rent-a-car takes even longer than forever. Carry on and take a taxi.
Old Oct 29, 16, 5:42 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Agree, with both replies. Taxi stand line usually takes ~10 - 20 minutes as well.
Old Oct 29, 16, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Connecting from where in LAX. If you have to transfer from T6 it would be very tight.
Old Oct 29, 16, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are booked in F, your bags will carry priority tags which means that they are theoretically first off. But, that is notional. Don't plan on it. However, between two of you, you have 4 carry-ons. Do you really need to check bags? How long is your vacation?

45 minutes is within MCT for D-D at LAX, but can be unpleasantly short.

I certainly would not book a 10:00 PM show with an arrival scheduled anytime after 7 PM.
Old Oct 29, 16, 7:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by HomerJay View Post
Yep. And rent-a-car takes even longer than forever. Carry on and take a taxi.
If this is a Fri-Sat night, I would advise against a taxi. Uber or Lyft would be my recommendation, and there's a special area where the drivers pick up.
Old Oct 29, 16, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

I believe it would be arriving to LAX in T4 and departing from T4 as well. Both inbound and departing flights would be with AA. Not sure how to know for certain though. We would be arriving in on a Thursday night around 8:30PM. If we switch to the flight through LAX we would be landing in Vegas around 7:30PM.

This is the way the flight is listed on the AA website, so would like to think they would pair 2 logistically possible flights together.
Old Oct 29, 16, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Forget the taxi in Las Vegas. Take Uber or Lyft with a discount code. The ride will be close to free.

https://www.mccarran.com/Go/RideShare.aspx
Old Oct 29, 16, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
In general, expect incompetence.

Specifically:

Don't assume any flight will be on time, especially late in the day when your aircraft/crew will have bounced all around the continent through who-knows-what weather and so forth.

Don't assume that your priority bag tags will translate into fast baggage service - the last time I went somewhere with priority tags, I got my bag 50 *hours* after I landed at my destination, after making over two dozen phone calls to track it down. The time before that was only 38 hours, and a mere six phone calls.

Don't assume that just because your (hypothetical) flight to LAX lands close to on-time that you'll be parked at a gate within 45 minutes.

Don't assume that your flight into LAX will be within a 20-minute walk of your flight out of LAX.

Don't assume your bags will make such a quick connection at LAX. The aforementioned 50-hour delay in baggage delivery began with a 75-minute connection where the planes were at adjacent LAX gates and the bag still didn't get transferred.

Don't assume that you'll be able to pick up a rental car quickly at LAS... the last time I did that, I was behind the wheel over an hour after landing, and that was with no checked bags and, yes, seated in F on the flight in.

Don't assume that aa.com will show you the best or most logical connection option. Rather, if you tell us where you're starting from, on what date, and what is the earliest time you can be at your home airport to prepare for departure, perhaps someone will do some digging and come up with a more logical itinerary.

Don't assume, even if you take the advice coming from this board, that AA won't still find a way to seriously mess up your arrival in LAS.

Of course, I don't mean to be all negative. But seriously, give us information and we will do our best to help you... the short LAX connection sounds like a very good way for multiple bad things to happen, and most of us despite the (hopefully faux-)attitude genuinely would like to see you arrive with some measure of competence.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Oct 29, 16, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by discoverCSG View Post
In general, expect incompetence.

Specifically:

Don't assume any flight will be on time, especially late in the day when your aircraft/crew will have bounced all around the continent through who-knows-what weather and so forth.

Don't assume that your priority bag tags will translate into fast baggage service - the last time I went somewhere with priority tags, I got my bag 50 *hours* after I landed at my destination, after making over two dozen phone calls to track it down. The time before that was only 38 hours, and a mere six phone calls.

Don't assume that just because your (hypothetical) flight to LAX lands close to on-time that you'll be parked at a gate within 45 minutes.

Don't assume that your flight into LAX will be within a 20-minute walk of your flight out of LAX.

Don't assume your bags will make such a quick connection at LAX. The aforementioned 50-hour delay in baggage delivery began with a 75-minute connection where the planes were at adjacent LAX gates and the bag still didn't get transferred.

Don't assume that you'll be able to pick up a rental car quickly at LAS... the last time I did that, I was behind the wheel over an hour after landing, and that was with no checked bags and, yes, seated in F on the flight in.

Don't assume that aa.com will show you the best or most logical connection option. Rather, if you tell us where you're starting from, on what date, and what is the earliest time you can be at your home airport to prepare for departure, perhaps someone will do some digging and come up with a more logical itinerary.

Don't assume, even if you take the advice coming from this board, that AA won't still find a way to seriously mess up your arrival in LAS.

Of course, I don't mean to be all negative. But seriously, give us information and we will do our best to help you... the short LAX connection sounds like a very good way for multiple bad things to happen, and most of us despite the (hopefully faux-)attitude genuinely would like to see you arrive with some measure of competence.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Appreciate the response! We are departing from CLT on November 10. Currently booked on AA749 (nonstop to LAS, first class). Looking at AA1737 (CLT to LAX) and AA1519(LAX to LAS) first class. We would like to be booked for flights which would allow us not to have to be at the airport until noon or so on November 10.
Old Oct 29, 16, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by zmster2033 View Post
Appreciate the response! We are departing from CLT on November 10. Currently booked on AA749 (nonstop to LAS, first class). Looking at AA1737 (CLT to LAX) and AA1519(LAX to LAS) first class. We would like to be booked for flights which would allow us not to have to be at the airport until noon or so on November 10.
Thanks for that!

I just looked at Expert Flyer, and it seems that you're a bit restricted in your options, perhaps because it's the beginning of a holiday weekend, plus the usual general Thursday night rush. I looked at connecting options through all the hubs, and indeed the LAX connection is the only option in your timeframe with at least 2F available on both legs.

With that in mind, my own personal decision would probably be to stick with the nonstop. That's because it entirely eliminates the short LAX connection (did you get my subtle hints that I don't think that's a good idea?), and, in general, gives only half as many chances for something to go south. Neither CLT nor LAS typically has tons of bad weather in November, and left to its own devices, CLT's hub usually works pretty well overall.

I second the suggestion to try to make do with carry-on bags only.

Others with better knowledge of LAS might have other opinions, but that's my two cents' worth.

Last edited by discoverCSG; Oct 29, 16 at 8:18 pm
Old Oct 29, 16, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: RCC: SC; BC: M.Ed.; UA: PG; DL: GM
If you're not familiar with Las Vegas streets, I'd definitely suggest the taxi route over renting a car. You would have to take a bus from McCarran to the rental car center, which is several miles away. Then wait in line, etc. etc. and then be tempted to drive down Las Vegas Boulevard (a.k.a. The Strip) to reach your show. After sunset until about 1 or 2 a.m. is often the busiest time of day on that street, with bumper-to-bumber moving at a crawl. People slow down to watch the dancing fountains, the ubiquitous light shows, the pirate show, etc. etc.

I am not familiar with Lyft/Uber, but the Vegas cabbies know the back roads and can get you most places quickly.
Old Oct 29, 16, 10:16 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Why is there any mention of LAX in this thread?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: